News   Jul 19, 2024
 771     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.4K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Transit City Plan

Plan calls for light rail network

On this evening's address, I thought it looked like PM Harper said that he supports the LRT proposal. Will have to wait till Monday to see for sure.

Re: Plan calls for light rail network

Dayton, Ohio
^hey, that's (almost; 15 minute drive) where I live!

the major disadvantage of Dayton's transit system is, of course, coverage. Seriously, only 2-3 bus routes serving the entire southern part of the city?!?!

I guess their normal bus coverage can be compared to rapid transit coverage in the GTA...

Regarding the coal mine comparison, MUCH less permanent infrastructure is required, plus a HUGE amount of net profit results in what's being dug out (i.e. coal). Since you were wondering.

All we have to do is raise the track level up an enbankment to allow passenger boarding at the current Sheppard stops.

I'm no engineer, but here's an idea. Split the four-car train sets into two-car train sets. During the overnight maintenance period, gradually lower half of each Sheppard subway platform, and add overhead catanery and other necessary LRT infrastructure. In the meantime, the higher half platforms are served by the two-car train sets until the necessary LRT infrastructure is completed. When complete, remove the two-car train sets and replace them with LRVs and run them directly between Yonge and Morningside. Badda-bing.

Again, it's just an idea but I can't see it adding much more expense to an already $6 billion project.

Only 2-3 lines? Yow
383343_170x170.jpg

(just like Canadians say "eh", Daytonians say "yow")

What if the Sheppard line doubled the Yonge line between Sheppard and Finch -- similar to the B-D and Y-U-S lines at St. George and Spadina -- so that you'd have an LRT connection (Sheppard East, Finch West) at either end of the Sheppard line?

if this plan get funding, how will they tunnel eglinton and spadina at the same time? will eglinton use a TBM or cut and cover?

I would imagine that Eglinton would use cut and cover since it doesn't need to go under major buildings or highways.

Tunneling is much more expensive and only necessary in dense urban areas or in places where traffic can't be safely re-routed.

I suspect that Spadina will also be mainly cut and cover and above ground, but will require some tunneling when passing the northern Toronto highway corridor.

I have to disagree with the feeling that this does nothing for 'downtowners'. For those that don't have a car, this opens up the rest of the city for them via transit, except I guess for those who stricly stay downtown and don't need/want to go anywhere else.

This plan sorta reminds me of Boston's transit system. They have standard subways along with linked streetcars running on ROWs and tunnels. The streetcar/subway interchanges are all underground. It works quite nicely.

except the streetcars, so I've heard from frequent riders, are quite slow.

This new TTC plan is bounded for disaster!

Streetcar is enviromental friendly, but it's extremely inefficient. It is ridiculously SLOW comparing to bus. How long will it take to travel the Eglinton route from one end to the other end (say Kenedy to airport)? 3 hours minimum!

On a good day, from St Clair/Keele to St Claire West subway, it takes me 25 minutes.

Streetcar is enviromental friendly, but it's extremely inefficient.
It is? In mixed-traffic yes, but countless cities (including T.O. to some degree) have proven trams to be very efficient at moving lots of people quickly.

It is ridiculously SLOW comparing to bus. How long will it take to travel the Eglinton route from one end to the other end (say Kenedy to airport)? 3 hours minimum!
I'm not sure how serious your post is. It wouldn't take 3 hours by any means, but the Eglinton LRT wouldn't be about taking people from eastern Scarborough to Pearson anyway. It would be about providing a service to people all along that route.

"It is ridiculously SLOW comparing to bus."

I'm quite certain that some of these new streetcar ROWs will be an improvement over the bus routes they're replacing...I can see the one on Finch being very successful and Eglinton West should be better than the bus as well, but I don't see the Sheppard one being a minute faster than the 190, a model that could be adopted on major arterial routes for pennies on the LRT dollar.

Back