News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

Transit City Gauge

Great, Metrolinx has solved yet another non-issue, don't they have bigger problems to worry about?

I called it.

Keep in mind Metrolinx's perogative. It's to focus on inter-regional connectivity. The TTC legacy network is not likely to grow beyond what is there now. But the Transit City network will have all sorts of inter-regional potential. Why squander that just to ensure that streetcars can deadhead on TC lines?

If a St. Clair extension was built (and I think it ought to go to Jane Street for now), it and Lakeshore would be part of the legacy network. I think that's clear.

Lakeshore, definitely. But St. Clair might be eventually rebuilt to standard gauge, although that would be decades ahead.

And if Eglinton ever gets converted to subway operation, its an orphan line, unable to swap any equipment with the other lines.

Not the end of the world, but not ideal either.

They probably were swayed partly by the current setup of the SRT so the tracks themselves won't need to be reconfigured when/(if) it is converted to LRT.

And if Eglinton ever gets converted to subway operation, its an orphan line, unable to swap any equipment with the other lines.

Not the end of the world, but not ideal either.

It won't have a track to exchange equipment, and since it would likely cost in the $100 million range to do so, it isn't an issue.

Great, Metrolinx has solved yet another non-issue, don't they have bigger problems to worry about?

One thing I've learned from this forum is that semantics matter and are important to people. Just ask someone on here to define "subway" and you'll see what I mean.

I always wanted the legacy tracks to be reconfigured, slowly, over many years. So that eventually, one vehicle could handle both uptown and downtown. Guess that will never happen now.

Also, the non-standard lakeshore line will connect to Mississauga eventually. So much for standards.

Shockingly I agree with Voltz on this issue, Metrolinx has solved a "non-issue", and now more problems are going to crop up.

And I thought the TTC was incompetent. Metrolinx has just proven how inept they are as well.

I mean, I can see the positives. But the network is going to be a mess. This means that the Sheppard Subway and Sheppard LRT will never connect, as they'll run on different gauges.

If Metrolinx had the money and inclination to redo the whole network in standard gauge, fine, but they don't, and they aren't, so they've just screwed the TTC (in my opinion). Thanks for nothing.

Shockingly I agree with Voltz on this issue, Metrolinx has solved a "non-issue", and now more problems are going to crop up.

And I thought the TTC was incompetent. Metrolinx has just proven how inept they are as well.

I mean, I can see the positives. But the network is going to be a mess. This means that the Sheppard Subway and Sheppard LRT will never connect, as they'll run on different gauges.

If Metrolinx had the money and inclination to redo the whole network in standard gauge, fine, but they don't, and they aren't, so they've just screwed the TTC (in my opinion). Thanks for nothing.

I dont see how this will cause more problems than it will solve. Transit City lines are not going to be the same as the city's current streetcar lines, so the argument that they wont be able to connect is a non issue. They aren't going to connect anyway (besides transfer points) regardless of the gauge used.

As for Sheppard, since when were the LRT cars going to run on the subway tracks? That was never the plan so its not an issue. If and when ridership levels on the LRT require additional service, its not like they will just run subway cars on the surface LRT tracks. New tracks will have to be built either way.

Transit City will eventually be part of a larger network of LRT that stretches throughout the entire GTA. Using a standard gauge will ensure that we get the best value for our money when purchasing new vehicles for these lines, and ensures that all areas of the region will be using the same technology.

Transit City will eventually be part of a larger network of LRT that stretches throughout the entire GTA. Using a standard gauge will ensure that we get the best value for our money when purchasing new vehicles for these lines, and ensures that all areas of the region will be using the same technology.

Metrolinx map shows Waterfront West LRT (which uses Queensway, Bremner, etc) as connecting to Hurontario LRT. What gauge do you suppose this will be?

How about if St Clair should connect to Dundas and Kipling?

Metrolinx map shows Waterfront West LRT (which uses Queensway, Bremner, etc) as connecting to Hurontario LRT. What gauge do you suppose this will be?

Well if its going to be converted to true LRT (limited stops, right of way, transit priority), then the whole line will need to be rebuilt, giving the city/province a chance to switch it to standard gauge.

The map that says "Additional details such as such as routing, technology, stations and level of service are subject to further analysis"?

I think everyone against this move is forgetting that Transit City lines are NOT going to be streetcar lines. They are entirely separate from the streetcar lines except where they intersect, providing transfer points. They will offer a different type of service than the existing streetcar routes, so the need for the same gauge track does not exist.

You rebuilt the Western Waterfront to standard gauge and keeping the line on the Lakeshore 100% as per the 1992 design. The Queen Quay would be standard causing the 510 to loop at Spadina or you convert the 510 to standard gauge. This means the 510 cars would have to come from a standard gauge carhouse.

You rebuilt the old Humber loop to standard gauge to the point as stub track and you go back to the old way how the Long Branch work before if you want to use the Queen Car.

The 512 would have to be rebuilt as standard since it could operate a separate line today if the Wychwood barn still were use as a carhouse.

Tracks would be replace when the time came to replace them 25-30 years from now and not waste money that was just spent on this thing. Good time to fix those mistakes then.

The rest of the Waterfront routes could be built as standard or non standard since most of it will be built 15-25 years from now since they don't exist at this time.

Back