News   May 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 609     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

The faceted-rather-than-curved glass front is apparently the AGO's version of The Cheapening, just as the mismatched exterior cladding is the ROM's.

Though the upward curve of the AGO's Big Glass Front is fairly gentle, it is composed of five long horizontal sections of glass that - at their joins - reflect their surroundings with an annoyingly abrupt visual jog that could have been avoided had The Cheapening not occurred.

Still, it gives a plausible enough Big Wow effect I guess ...

We'll just have to settle for what we've got. Full of sculpture and people it'll be worth a look-see from the street, just as the empty Crystal galleries are now being transformed by dinosaur bones and visitors, and the Four Seasons Centre by two thousand patrons in the City Room on opera and ballet nights.

From pedestrian level - seen from the north side of Dundas - the gentle curve experienced by the eye as it travels along the top of the Big Glass Front from east to west, is quite lovely. You expect to see some sort of doodad termination to the curve, but instead it shoots off into infinity. Though perhaps the flippy-bits at the ends will provide the doodad effect.

^I'm still not sold on the ability to see the sculptures from the street. If that was one of the main things they wanted to accomplish then they could've come up with something a lot less busy for the visor.

The shield is certainly an impressive structure as you pass it by. I'm not sure that faceted rather than curves glass is a huge issue. It still looks very grand.

The curve is not really affected by the faceted pains of glass. As more glass is added, the facets aren't immediately obvious because the curve is soft.

I think that is a complete myth. It has nothing to do with hockey and Gehry has never suggested such.

I didn't know Gehry also has a thing for fish.

troymcclure7kf.jpg

You kidding me people?

The curve makes the design. Without the curve, it looks like a very simple, boring facade.

So no curve afterall eh? Why am I surprise...everything they build so far has been cheapen by a dozen.

I wouldn't worry about the curve--the front of the AGOshed shall be bulldozed within 10 years imho. Someone, somewhere is bound to donate another $100 million to the AGO to redo the front. Meanwhile, the obvious "real" entrance--from Grange Park, continues to annoy me--why wasn't it bigger?

I wouldn't worry about the curve--the front of the AGOshed shall be bulldozed within 10 years imho. Someone, somewhere is bound to donate another $100 million to the AGO to redo the front.
When we're dealing with Gehry, how can you be so sure? You might as well suggest that they'll bulldoze Walker Court as well.

Meanwhile, the obvious "real" entrance--from Grange Park, continues to annoy me--why wasn't it bigger?

Why? Because there's a historic house in a public park in the way, one which clearly cannot withstand troops of tour buses and school groups and camera-clicking tourists. You wanna bulldoze that, too? Might as well...

Yeah my vision is keep Grange House but somehow make it viable as the front entrance--or have a modern entrance on either side of it (extend spiral staircase to the ground/park Montreal-style perhaps); then have a big sculpture garden in the park (UofGuelph for example) and have John St all the way down to Front St as a grand pedestrian-only avenue!

But this is Toronto, and my day job hasn't allowed me to accumulate the $100 million I'd donate to this cause...yet:(

...and you can take that 100 million and shove it up your Potrzebie, because you're otherwise gonna have Ceta Ramalamadingdong and the Grange Park NIMBY gang stringing you up and whacking you like a pinata...

You kidding me people?

The curve makes the design. Without the curve, it looks like a very simple, boring facade.

So no curve afterall eh? Why am I surprise...everything they build so far has been cheapen by a dozen.

Milo, you keep on thinking that they eliminated the curled up corners. They're still coming. What everybody is talking about is that the curved Galleria Italia is made up of many flat glass surfaces instead of curved glass. The result is pretty close to the rendering though. I don't think that the facets will be noticed much once the whole thing is done.

I have heard that there are plans which show no curves at the end of the glass canopy or whatever you want to call it. The good news, my friend at Ellis Don says as far as he knows, there will still be curves.

Back