News   Apr 25, 2024
 305     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 975     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto's Culture Production Boom

Yeah, me mate isn't privy to a lot of information from up on high so she's just telling me what she does know and what she does enjoy from her extended and forced holiday (she's loving it, by the by).

A mate of mine who works in the industry and worked on Enterprise is saying that nothing is happening til Labour Day at the earliest, but likely not til the end of the year.

I'm guessing it's contingent on a vaccine being available or maybe a serious reduction in transmission (>10/day). No idea. She's enjoying quite the holiday.

No vaccine is going to be happening reasonably soon, so the latter it is, IMO.

Governments are absolutely try to 'get' the transmission number to that point in any method possible, since the economy can't really survive in this state for much longer.

Well, Canada's medical show Transplant hasn't debuted yet in the U.S., so we don't know what the rating are yet.........

But the first reviews from the U.S. are coming in.............and well.........if they are indicative of ratings.......some folks in our culture sector will be rightly pleased.

From the Wall Street Journal:

Excerpt from above:

The series will make its debut as the best medical show on American television, which is something given the competition (even just on NBC).
And while it’s a bit early for a full-blown diagnosis, it may turn out to be one of the better dramas the network has ever had.

Not really related to this at all.......but I have to ask...........when did starting a sentence with 'And' become acceptable?

Not a great ratings debut in the U.S. for Transplant.

0.4, a distant 2nd to NBA playoffs.

Burnt through almost 1/2 its lead-in which had a 0.7

Beat the Republican Convention numbers in that timeslot the week before (0.1)

But looks like World of Dance did better for NBC over the summer at 0.6/0.7

Sound stages are nearly large industrial in scale, not really a good fit for downtown/Portlands. I have heard of production companies leasing warehouses to act as sound stages. Lots of those available in the burbs.

CTV Original Series TRANSPLANT is Currently the Most-Watched Scripted Series on Broadcast TV in the U.S.

October 26, 2020

Following a successful first season run on CTV this spring, which saw TRANSPLANT become the most-watched Canadian drama, the series has also been embraced by U.S. viewers since its launch on Sept. 1 on NBC. Currently averaging 5.2 million total viewers per episode, TRANSPLANT is the most-watched scripted series (comedy or drama) on broadcast television in the U.S.

CTV Original Series TRANSPLANT is Currently the Most-Watched Scripted Series on Broadcast TV in the U.S.

October 26, 2020

Following a successful first season run on CTV this spring, which saw TRANSPLANT become the most-watched Canadian drama, the series has also been embraced by U.S. viewers since its launch on Sept. 1 on NBC. Currently averaging 5.2 million total viewers per episode, TRANSPLANT is the most-watched scripted series (comedy or drama) on broadcast television in the U.S.

Of note, while Transplant has consistently won its U.S. timeslot; its ratings actually haven't been great; though they did climb to a season high last week.

They've been around the #40 show in the U.S. most weeks (which is out of well over 100 on network TV alone, so not bad; but they've been bested by a long list of reality-tv, news, and sports offerings.

Of course, they are indeed the best performing scripted series. That none are better in the top-40, is quite the shift from historic norms.

All that said; there is some evidence that Transplant is pulling very high delayed-viewing numbers.

So people who PVR'ed or are streaming the show, beyond the 7-day window of initial airing.

When those numbers are factored in, its quite likely that Transplant may be a top 25 show in the U.S. overall.

Any which way, the ratings look solid enough for NBC to pick up another season.

Last edited:
Not having watched it, is the show set in Anywhereville or is it discernably located in Canada? It seems with Netflix, foreign audiences are eager to watch shows set in other countries, but Canada rarely plays as a location to foreign audiences.

Not having watched it, is the show set in Anywhereville or is it discernably located in Canada? It seems with Netflix, foreign audiences are eager to watch shows set in other countries, but Canada rarely plays as a location to foreign audiences.

It is explicitly set in Toronto, at 'York Memorial Hospital"

The story of a Syrian refugee with a medical degree who can't initially get a job at his chosen profession for all the reasons we know happen (credentials, Canadian experience etc.) but then who manages to save the life of the local ER chief at an accident scene; and gets his shot.

Note that while there are some conspicuous Toronto shots.............

It doesn't look like Toronto quite as much as one might imagine.............

Because......its shot in Montreal!

I would rate it, overall, as slightly above-par for a medical procedural.

I think a lot of the issues they consciously address they do a good job with, and most of the acting is quite solid.

The weak point, as always, with these types of shows is the need for constant drama; which does make for an inordinate number of chaotic days in the lives of our young doctors.

It is explicitly set in Toronto, at 'York Memorial Hospital"
If Transplant were extremely popular, Transplant fans from outside Toronto would visit the city and end up in front of a certain burned-down high school next to Keelesdale station.

I have the feeling that the hospital's named after the high school.

Well, this slipped under my radar in the last couple of weeks.

NBC has picked up another Canadian medical drama; "Nurses"

It will get a couple of previews in December before taking over what is now Transplant's timeslot in early January.

Back