News   Apr 26, 2024
 427     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 345     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 544     0 

Toronto's Culture Production Boom

In addition to studio space; I wonder if we should look at designating certain locations preferred by TV/Film companies as protected streetscapes/views.

I'm not suggesting a stone-cold development freeze or anything, and many locations might already be protected as parks or by historical designations.

But think how Murdoch Mysteries seeks to find spaces that fit w/the late 19thC; we have so few, maybe we protect a block or 2 in 3 locations (for variety); we look at the same idea for streetscapes that look
particularly New York or Chicago.

Maybe we even do some restoration work to remove things that don't fit.

I also wonder if we couldn't set-up Lower Bay more effectively, dressing different sections of the platform to look like different transit systems; section 1 mimics Toronto, section 2 mimics NYC, section 3, mimics a Paris Metro Stn etc.

Tangentially, I think we need to do a better job of exporting Canada's stories, particularly to the U.S. market.

Based on Handmaid's Tale and a surging Schitt's Creek; we ought to be able to crack the US TV-Sphere more fully and do so w/Canadian production companies, not merely when HBO/Showtime/CBS etc. takes an interest.

In addition to studio space; I wonder if we should look at designating certain locations preferred by TV/Film companies as protected streetscapes/views.

Protected views/vistas are actually a thing in our planning regime. Though I haven't seen them used specifically for the purposes of cultural production, they are mainly for heritage or public realm reasons.

Based on Handmaid's Tale and a surging Schitt's Creek; we ought to be able to crack the US TV-Sphere more fully and do so w/Canadian production companies, not merely when HBO/Showtime/CBS etc. takes an interest.
Letterkenny is also reaching international audiences

Would be great to see more productions based around Toronto, even if it's just a vague reference.

Protected views/vistas are actually a thing in our planning regime. Though I haven't seen them used specifically for the purposes of cultural production, they are mainly for heritage or public realm reasons.

Letterkenny is also reaching international audiences

Don't forget sci-fi - Star Trek: Discovery and The Expanse are both filmed/produced in TO. (Aga Khan Museum, Integral House, Roy Thomson Hall, Ripley's, etc. all made it into the shows)

AoD

Last edited:
Hollywood Productions Spent Record $1.12B in Toronto Area in 2019

6:04 AM PST 2/28/2020 by Etan Vlessing

Canada's top media market last year saw foreign, mostly American, producers spend a record $1.12 billion in local film and TV expenditures in and around Toronto as major studios and streamers continue investing heavily in content for a new wave of video-on-demand platforms. That compares with $1.04 billion in total production expenditures in the province made by foreign producers in 2018, and $821.6 million in overall spending two years ago, Ontario Creates, which markets Ontario to Hollywood, revealed Friday.

Across the local production sector, U.S. studios and streamers are locking up studio space, talent and crews for bigger and ever more elaborate sets, mostly for high-end TV dramas. The 2019 tally for Hollywood production in Ontario was mostly for small-screen production, with $947 million going towards TV series and another $127.1 million being invested in locally produced TV movies, miniseries and pilots.

Hollywood Productions Spent Record $1.12B in Toronto Area in 2019

6:04 AM PST 2/28/2020 by Etan Vlessing

Canada's top media market last year saw foreign, mostly American, producers spend a record $1.12 billion in local film and TV expenditures in and around Toronto as major studios and streamers continue investing heavily in content for a new wave of video-on-demand platforms. That compares with $1.04 billion in total production expenditures in the province made by foreign producers in 2018, and $821.6 million in overall spending two years ago, Ontario Creates, which markets Ontario to Hollywood, revealed Friday.

Across the local production sector, U.S. studios and streamers are locking up studio space, talent and crews for bigger and ever more elaborate sets, mostly for high-end TV dramas. The 2019 tally for Hollywood production in Ontario was mostly for small-screen production, with $947 million going towards TV series and another $127.1 million being invested in locally produced TV movies, miniseries and pilots.

A couple of observations from the above:

One.....proof reading is a lost art.

Article subheadline: Deep-pocketed streamers continued bringing high-end TV originals like 'Umbrella Academy' and 'Star Wars: Discovery' to Canada for currency and tax credit savings.

Two, interesting to see vast, long-term lock-up contracts on studio space; we all knew, I think about the CBS-TV purpose-built facility in Mississauga.

But Netflix has locked up a big chunk of Pinewood and Cinespace; while Disney has locked up a soundstage complex in Etobicoke.

Also interesting to hear that more sound stages are coming to Mississauga.

Should those come to fruition w/the complex in Markham and expansions elsewhere, the industry seems set for at least a 50% increase over the next 3 or so years.

A couple of observations from the above:

Article subheadline: Deep-pocketed streamers continued bringing high-end TV originals like 'Umbrella Academy' and 'Star Wars: Discovery' to Canada for currency and tax credit savings.

Two, interesting to see vast, long-term lock-up contracts on studio space; we all knew, I think about the CBS-TV purpose-built facility in Mississauga.

But Netflix has locked up a big chunk of Pinewood and Cinespace; while Disney has locked up a soundstage complex in Etobicoke.

Also interesting to hear that more sound stages are coming to Mississauga.

Should those come to fruition w/the complex in Markham and expansions elsewhere, the industry seems set for at least a 50% increase over the next 3 or so years.

Drats, I thought a new Star Wars (that I didn't know about!!) series is coming up here. LOL.

AoD

Trekkers will never forgive Hollywood Reporter for this transgression that makes confusing between the New York Jets and the New York Mets forgivable in comparison.

Even Media Bias / Fact Check considers Hollywood Reporter trustworthy (albeit biased in favour of liberals): https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/hollywood-reporter/

Last edited:
New U.S. show is moving to Vancouver (from New Mexico) to shoot due to Covid: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...a-big-sky-moving-production-vancouver-1303004

Relevance here is buzz that other U.S. shows are looking at a jump, especially with California going back towards total lockdown. Toronto and Vancouver would be the leading relocation candidates.

But we now have functioning film industries in Calgary, Winnipeg, North Bay, Montreal and Halifax.

Last edited:
North Bay of all places! What do they film there?
Seems to be a lot of TV movies, some CBC/CTV serials + a whole lot of Netflix/Hallmark Rom-coms/dramas.

Not really any Hollywood blockbusters, but definitely a stable local success story. Hollywood is overrated anyways!

North Bay of all places! What do they film there?

To add to @jje1000 's list

Cardinal, was a well funded, high-end drama production for CTV which was shot up there.

A lesser funded Canadian Drama (TVO's first attempt at one) Hard Rock Medical was also shot there.

Both did multiple seasons.

As Ontario reopens, I'm sure we'll see a similar uptick in productions using our cities, particularly Toronto and Hamilton.

A mate of mine who works in the industry and worked on Enterprise is saying that nothing is happening til Labour Day at the earliest, but likely not til the end of the year.

I'm guessing it's contingent on a vaccine being available or maybe a serious reduction in transmission (>10/day). No idea. She's enjoying quite the holiday.

...not jealous at all. 😓

just going to keep building homes for these wankers whilst half the populace bakes bread for themselves and Insta.

A mate of mine who works in the industry and worked on Enterprise is saying that nothing is happening til Labour Day at the earliest, but likely not til the end of the year.

I'm guessing it's contingent on a vaccine being available or maybe a serious reduction in transmission (>10/day). No idea. She's enjoying quite the holiday.

...not jealous at all. 😓

just going to keep building homes for these wankers whilst half the populace bakes bread for themselves and Insta.

Several shows have resumed production; but there are many that stifled.

There hasn't been anyone offering Covid-stoppage insurance; and that's an issue for many producers trying to manage the potential cost of a production halt.

Also an issue is that American producers who want to come up here to oversee their shows/movies need to quarantine (be here 14 days before they can oversee everything).

So there's a learning curve.

You might note the above would an issue for actors as well, but much less so on the assumption they won't come and go, but stay for the length of production.

Back