Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

But if they do that then once the Spadina extension is finished, they'll probably start work on a Yonge extension by 2020 and finish that by 2030. Then that would be the only subway extensions there'd be with a few remnants of Transit City thrown in on top of that.

Has Metrolinx officially recognized the City of Toronto motion to have the DRL included as a precursor to the Yonge extension? I know Council approved that motion, I'm just not sure if Metrolinx actually listened or not.

I might be mistaken but I thought Metrolinx included the DRL in the 25-year plan, but the TTC wanted it pushed up to the 15-year plan.

Presumably you'd do something to restrict the Yonge subway to 905 residents, so that it won't become overloaded.

In case you haven't noticed, there is a subway (def. subway |ˈsəbˌwā| noun 1 an underground electric railroad.) running from Queen's Quay to Union Station, except that it is using streetcars at the moment.

Here we go again.....

In case you haven't noticed, there is a subway (def. subway |ˈsəbˌwā| noun 1 an underground electric railroad.) running from Queen's Quay to Union Station, except that it is using streetcars at the moment.

In case you haven't noticed, the subway under bay street does absolutely nothing to relieve the Yonge line. He was obviously referring to building a subway under Bay street north of Front (regardless of whether it's an extension of the current Bay subway).

Personally I don't think it's that viable or desirable option, because it would only serve existing demand. Building a DRL using any of the generally accepted alignments would bring rapid transit to new areas, which a Bay line would not.

Personally I don't think it's that viable or desirable option, because it would only serve existing demand. Building a DRL using any of the generally accepted alignments would bring rapid transit to new areas, which a Bay line would not.
I don't even think a Union-Bay DRL would even maximize the relief to the Yonge subway, compared to other possible options such as Pape-King or Donlands-Union.

The Downtown Relief Line is definetly needed but they can increase the capacity of the existing Yonge Line by investing in Automatic Train Control. ATC will allow the trains to operate with less headway and increasing safety on this heavily used line. As an added bonus to ATC something called Platform Screen Doors could also now be installed- platform screen doors will lessen the incidents train delays (but won't eliminate it of course) because of smoke at track level. Metro papers and other papers won't land down at track level as much with PSD's installed so their will be less delay because their will be quite a bit less papers down near the high voltage at track level. The main reason, but less common for delays, is that it will lessen people going down to track level from falls or suicide attempts. ATC and PSD's will greatly increase the capacity of this line and I am sure more commuter would get a seat with this investment.

The Bloor/Yonge interchange is going to need a bigger reno then the guide wall they put in last year. When are the reno plans to upgrade this station going to get started?

One option is to extend Yonge subway to Steeles only, and defer the expansion further north until DRL is built. That will relief the most bus-crowded section of Yonge between Finch and Steeles. North of Steeles, you no longer have TTC buses 60, 53, 42, 125, 97, as well as YRT's 88, 23, 91.

TTC buses can have an underground terminal as planned, whereas a portion of Centerpoint Mall's parking lot can be used for a YRT terminal.

I thought ATC was a done deal for the Yonge subway (not installed, but happening soon) and, IIRC they are in the midst of a study on the Bloor-Yonge reno.
They're supposed to give Metrolinx all that info so they can properly assess the extension.

There must be another thread for DRL-specific talk, however...

I might be mistaken but I thought Metrolinx included the DRL in the 25-year plan, but the TTC wanted it pushed up to the 15-year plan.

Yes, they did. The Yonge extension was originally in the 15 year plan, and the DRL in the 25 year plan. However, City Council passed a resolution to make the DRL a precondition of the Yonge extension. I'm just curious if anyone knows whether or not Metrolinx actually acknowledged this resolution and is taking it into account, or if they just continued on with their day like nothing happened?

Back