Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Even with 5 min regional express style headways the RH GO line would not be time competitive for most riders heading to Union simply because of the time it takes to access RH GO by local bus services for most riders (coming from west of the line). Given that the new trains and automation improvements will probably provide a trip time of 45 mins from RHC to Union, the advantage of GO would be somewhere in the ballpark of 10-15 mins, not sufficient to overcome the time and effort to access the station in the north and then have to walk or transfer back to the YUS in the south. And of course, none of that takes away from the fact that half the riders don't even go till the core. I consider that to be pretty much in line with the ridership at any subway terminus. I am fairly sure that if you polled riders at Kennedy, about half of them would be heading to Union during the AM peak. Does that mean, that it's not worthwhile to extend the subway to Scarborough Town Centre? ..because "only" half the riders would be getting off prior to downtown?

Friendly suggestion for the Mods:

The title of the this thread and some other transportation threads states "UPDATES":

Some people like to check these threads for actual updates and news and not have to scan five pages of endless arguments that don't actually contain any updates or news of any substance.

Can we maybe have seperate threads for the back and forth that has dominated this and some other transportation threads and have specific construction threads where people ONLY post actual relevant updates and information (that would actually help in a lot of the P & C threads as well).

With automated trains, etc., the subway will be less than 40 minutes from RHC to Union, maybe 35.

GO trains would need to run at frequencies of negative-something minutes to be useful for many Yonge riders, even if they're going right to Union (like the ACC or RBC Plaza). If it's Wellesley instead of Wellington, well, then it's "up to 33%" maybe, maybe lower, that are ending up within realistic distance of Union. Clearly, the majority aren't going to switch to GO even though tens of thousands of Yonge riders can and should switch. The main market for the Yonge extension is the area between Finch and Hwy 7, not the area beyond that.

40 mins from RHC to Union? Surely you jest. It currently takes 30 mins on a good day to get to Union from Finch, in worst case 40mins. To reach RHC would take another 12-15 minutes, thus totally at best 42-45 minutes, which is essentially the same time as the GO train alternative.

In any case, the subway will be popular from day 1 since having a 45 min commute to downtown is pretty good, especially with service every 5-6 mins, all day.

40 mins from RHC to Union? Surely you jest. It currently takes 30 mins on a good day to get to Union from Finch, in worst case 40mins. To reach RHC would take another 12-15 minutes, thus totally at best 42-45 minutes, which is essentially the same time as the GO train
The estimate above was 49 minutes. TTC says that (on a good day) it takes 28 minutes from Finch to Union.

In any case, the subway will be popular from day 1 since having a 45 min commute to downtown is pretty good, especially with service every 5-6 mins, all day.

And especially since there will be more stations which will be more accessible. Small nit, though -- not a 45 minute commute to downtown; a 45 minute to Union. For the majority who are not going to Union, less than 45 minutes. For those heading to hubs at nearby NYCentre or midtown Eglinton -- which will surely be built out much more then than they are now -- much less.

maybe south on a sunday afternoon or something like that. However, the big issue has always been northbound as there is always a slowdown to get into Finch, sometimes taking as long as 5-10 minutes just to enter the station.

49 mins from RHC to Union is a good estimate, and would still be an attractive service to many living along the line extension.

I've never waited 5 or more minutes on the approach to Finch, but I've only used the subway to get to Finch maybe a thousand times...either I'm lucky or a sample size of a thousand trips isn't large enough.

If 50% of the riders from Finch get off before Wellesley, probably 75% get off before King. It's completely irrelevant to use the travel time to Union as a comparison point. Not only would GO not even be able to service almost 75% of the people who use the Yonge subway in the first place, but forcing a trip on GO by back tracking north on the subway from Union is guaranteed to take longer.

And on another note, if the cost to ride the GO train into downtown Toronto from Langstaff was the same as a regular bus fare, don't you think more people would utilize the service and avoid a myriad minor stops heading inwards on the subway? I know I certainly would.

Then why don't you already? The GO train already is cheaper than local transit (YRT + TTC combo), and by a lot. From Langstaff, a GO monthly pass is $169, whereas a local transit monthly pass is $214. Despite the higher cost and the "myriad of minor stops", existing subway commuters from York Region outnumber RH GO riders by a ratio of 10:1. Maybe 5,000 currently use Richmond Hill and Langstaff GO stations, but at least 50,000 either drive or bus it to Finch each day.

Once again, let the subway service the Yonge corridor, and let GO serve the Bala subdivision corridor. Except for the tail end, the two corridors DO NOT overlap, so let's stop assuming that people from southern York will flock to GO just because it runs more often.

Really? I do Clark to Finch daily. Clark to Steeles is congested -- and often gets less so after Steeles, notwithstanding all the extra construction and so forth which congests the southern leg. There are more buses on the southern leg, though.

And its those added buses on the sothern end that contribute to North York's gridlock, especially during peak. I agree with you that the congestion doesn’t begin smack dab at the municipal border, but it is typically a smoother ride through historic Thornhill northwards than it is the stretch from Clark to the 401. And although I misspoke earlier when its really 45 - 50 minutes from RHC to Union; that is still a more time-consuming commute than it’d be for limited-stopping express regional rail along the Bala Sub. Many Markhamites do not use the Yonge subway out of choice but rather out of necessity, as that’s the only place where buses deposit them. Don't you think Markhamites may work nearby the Lesmill or Concorde/Wynford business parks and will desire a direct rapid transit link to these points?

Conditioning the Don Mills corridor from now well in advance of the DRL/ DM LRT would mean many of these commuters could become permanent converts away from ever needing the Yonge Line for travel. In essence, most people don’t concern themselves with which mode gets them there, they just want their commute to be direct. Modes other than the most expensive option (i.e. subways) can also be made to operate efficiently direct, if only we’d invest in them.

Interesting. Which buses would you reroute? (And what would happen to their ridership?)

Specifically the 300 series routes (Beaver Creek, Markham Centre, Unionville, and Bayview Express buses) as well 91 Bayview which would make up for the shotty job the 11 bus does north of Sheppard. All these could feed into the Sheppard Line at various points. Once the DM LRT + DRL are operational, Routes 2, 3, 23 and 88 would have their operations completely removed from the Yonge corridor (Doncaster is only a couples blocks north of the proposed Steeles Stn, negligible distance). To Clark is only 1km north of Steeles so the 5 bus would hardly contribute to traffic congestion along Yonge St itself nor be that far away of a commute for you to travel from.

I have no clue as to cost, but don't all of these sources cite $2.5b and rely on a common source for that figure?

Knowing the TTC, I wouldn’t be surprised if it does actually cost $5 billion for 6.4 kms of new subway and all the bells and whistles it'll bring with it. And the Gov’t is already prepared to meet that price regardless, so why even debate that? Look, I have nothing against York Region getting new subways; but only after all other more affordable avenues have been exhausted first. There is so much we could do in advance of building a full-length subway extension if only we’d just leave the politics, bureaucracy, biases and prejudices out of the planning discussions.

Chuck: Like I just said there, I'm not opposed to an eventual subway extension to RHC but think that for now an extension to Steeles is a nice compromise. Those seeking points along Yonge get 2 kms trimmed off of their overall commute to the subway. Long-haulers seeking to bypass the mess of stopping multiple times on the Yonge Line could use a revamped Richmond Hill express commuter rail line. Win/Win!

I must say I consider it to be a double-standard that 40-50 minutes from RHC to Union is considered fine, but the same amount of time from MCC to downtown is considered too far to be doable.

GO Transit already does it in 25 minutes. That's why the desire for a 45 minute subway is limited.

25 minutes from MCC to Union? I assume you mean from Cooksville GO, and only when it's the train. So no, your comparison isn't valid.

Regardless, I don't see how GO is a solution to MCC but not to RHC. It's a double-standard no matter how many qualifications you add. In either case you should have either option.

The Richmond Hill GO track is a nightmare in terms of twists and turns, severely limiting the speed. Cooksville-Union does not have this problem.

With electrification, the Cooksville-Union corridor will have such a speed advantage over a 50 minute subway, that the very idea of using the subway for that journey would be a joke.

And if you're comparing the Yonge corridor's suitability for subway ridership with Dundas in Mississauga or whatever, you need a reality check.

MCC is a dot on a map, whereas Yonge is a high density continuous corridor. One is obviously a job for a subway while the other is regional rail.

Back