Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Bring finch to Neilson, Bring the DRL to Don Mills-Finch, Bring sheppard to Weston. Done.

I assume if you are bringing Sheppard to weston you are in favour of converting the thing to a lrt. In which case I agree with you that the map is complete. In 20 years we add a lawrence and Wilson lrt and I am ecstatic.

Still can't get over that gaping hole between Yonge and Downsview on Sheppard even with all your improvements.

This map is just showing GO REX with the approved and funded LRT lines and subway extensions, with the exception of the Honeydale extension. Yes, on all of my other fantasy maps I have that gap closed. Notice there isn't even an Eglinton West LRT.

This map is just showing GO REX with the approved and funded LRT lines and subway extensions, with the exception of the Honeydale extension. Yes, on all of my other fantasy maps I have that gap closed.

wouldnt all these added stops on the go lines significantly slow down service and cause 905 people to go into a uproar. Also would these lines have the double decker GO trains or new ones that are better for people standing.

wouldnt all these added stops on the go lines significantly slow down service and cause 905 people to go into a uproar. Also would these lines have the double decker GO trains or new ones that are better for people standing.

It would slow it down a little bit, but when your frequency is increased 2-3x at least compared to current levels, I think it balances out. Adding a couple minutes to a travel time pales in comparison to the 10s of minutes that people have to wait on the platform or delay their trip start time in order to fit within the schedule.

And they would be using single-decker GO trains. I envision something similar to what the S-Bahn in Berlin uses, which is basically a subway train with somewhat more comfortable seats.

It would slow it down a little bit, but when your frequency is increased 2-3x at least compared to current levels, I think it balances out. Adding a couple minutes to a travel time pales in comparison to the 10s of minutes that people have to wait on the platform or delay their trip start time in order to fit within the schedule.

And they would be using single-decker GO trains. I envision something similar to what the S-Bahn in Berlin uses, which is basically a subway train with somewhat more comfortable seats.

Id agree but alot of people want their cake and eat it to

Although it's not well articulated in the media I think that most people including in the suburbs don't really understand what LRT means. But how LRT has been sold to them is "mass transit that displaces road lanes". On the other hand to them subway means "mass transit that does not displace road lanes". I feel that suburbanites aren't against LRT, they are against the concept of LRT or BRT or any other transit initiative that displaces road lanes. This to me is one of the fundamental marketing errors and miscalculations of Transit City. If LRT were planned to layer on top of the existing road network by say using other corridors, grade separated (above or below grade level) etc. there would not be this level of opposition. I'm not advocating for this solution, just pointing out my understanding of the mood of the people.

Electric trains would help a little because they can accelerate faster, which is more important when you have more stops.

Although it's not well articulated in the media I think that most people including in the suburbs don't really understand what LRT means. But how LRT has been sold to them is "mass transit that displaces road lanes". On the other hand to them subway means "mass transit that does not displace road lanes". I feel that suburbanites aren't against LRT, they are against the concept of LRT or BRT or any other transit initiative that displaces road lanes. This to me is one of the fundamental marketing errors and miscalculations of Transit City. If LRT were planned to layer on top of the existing road network by say using other corridors, grade separated (above or below grade level) etc. there would not be this level of opposition. I'm not advocating for this solution, just pointing out my understanding of the mood of the people.

This.

Taking away lanes from the road will lead to more congestion; i.e. the war on cars.

I thought Transit City promoted that there would be no loss of lanes on Eglinton. Of course they lied, but it was stated.

they lose no peak lanes. It goes from 2+Bus HOV to 2. sure they lose some sunday lanes, but they aren't really needed then anyway.

6 lanes is completely manageable for a street. 6 lanes plus lrt lanes plus bike lanes not so much as that requires a double cycle pedestrian crossing. (looking at you highway 7)

Back