Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The point of building a subway to Richmond Hill is to build a subway to Richmond Hill. This means subway frequencies, subway spacing and subway-appropriate development. Not building any stop from Steeles until Highway 7 makes no sense - in that case, make better use of the GO Trains already there.

Too bad this awful report is being given so much press, especially at the Toronto Star.

The point of building a subway to Richmond Hill is to build a subway to Richmond Hill. This means subway frequencies, subway spacing and subway-appropriate development. Not building any stop from Steeles until Highway 7 makes no sense - in that case, make better use of the GO Trains already there.

Too bad this awful report is being given so much press, especially at the Toronto Star.
They want to cancel the Toronto subway that's why.

On Richmond Hill Centre and Langstaff Gateway:

Has everyone forgotten the wonderful Ontario act called Places to Grow? You know, where the act that tells municipalities within and outside the Greenbelt that they have to intensify?

RHC and Markham would probably not choose to create centres like the above masterplans, but they have to. And if you're building all these centres, you have to link them with reliable transit.

Places to Grow is central to these discussions but it's unfair to say RH and Mkm "have to" create centres like the above. Both municipalities chose to go above and beyond the provincial minimums and Markham, in particular, has been ahead of the Places to Grow curve.

That said, people who think this stuff isn't going to happen need to be reminded there is provincial legislation backing it up.

Shontron is right that this report is getting too much discussion. People in the know are finding holes in it all over place. I think it's a good idea to start taking a harder look at the plan etc. but this one is just too narrow and flawed. I think I said it above but i don't really agree with the station phasing he suggests for this extension. I could see postponing Cummer and maaaaybe Clark but even that's stretching it. By the time you come out of Finch Station, at the north end, you're really halfway to Cummer any way...but then I can't see Toronto agreeing without getting a stop between Finch and Steeles so I think it's going to be all or nothing. There are other ways to get developers to pay for this stuff (e.g. TIFs and DCs) without doing it piecemeal.

If anyone is really unsure of how RHC and Langstaff will develop on sites next to the 407 and hydro corridor, it really will just be like the Galleria and Downtown Markham areas on steroids and with more jobs. Most of the high-density areas in Markham are adjacent to the 407, so this is really par for the course.

images

800px-Aerial_-_Ontario_Highway_407_in_Markham_from_Warden_Ave_to_Ninth_Line_01_-_white_balanced_%26_50pct_equalized_%289659959300%29.jpg

Last edited:
Because that's closer to DOWNTOWN. Richmond Hill is at least 30 minutes away.
1) That's not just closer to downtown, it IS downtown.

2) Yes, we all know Richmond Hill is 30+ minutes away from downtown Toronto.

3) The question wasn't why a development in downtown might be more successful, but why this Thornhill/Richmond Hill development can't/won't be successful.

I think I said it above but i don't really agree with the station phasing he suggests for this extension. I could see postponing Cummer and maaaaybe Clark but even that's stretching it. By the time you come out of Finch Station, at the north end, you're really halfway to Cummer any way...but then I can't see Toronto agreeing without getting a stop between Finch and Steeles so I think it's going to be all or nothing.
Probably, unless the province mandates that stops need to be cut.

1) That's not just closer to downtown, it IS downtown.

2) Yes, we all know Richmond Hill is 30+ minutes away from downtown Toronto.

3) The question wasn't why a development in downtown might be more successful, but why this Thornhill/Richmond Hill development can't/won't be successful.

Probably, unless the province mandates that stops need to be cut.
Because the jobs might not arrive. Look at Bloor and Kipling. It was supposed to be much more.

I'm late to the convo here, but the Yonge extension has the ridership without RHC, unlike Sheppard. RHC is more of a nice extra than a necessity.

+1

I mentioned that a few days ago. The massive amount of busses on Yonge alone justify the subway.

And before someone tries this, no there aren't any bus routes anywhere along Sheppard that come anywhere close to being able to justify a subway.

Parts of council and apparently the Neptis foundation

The sheppard subway in particular.
I'm sorry but I'm having trouble connecting your dots. First you said "they want to cancel the Toronto subway." Who are they and what exactly do you mean by the Toronto subway?

Now you mention parts of Council want to do something regarding the Sheppard subway. What does Council want to do with Sheppard?

I'm sorry but I'm having trouble connecting your dots. First you said "they want to cancel the Toronto subway." Who are they and what exactly do you mean by the Toronto subway?

Now you mention parts of Council want to do something regarding the Sheppard subway. What does Council want to do with Sheppard?

The Nepits foundation proposed replacing the sheppard subay with the skytrain and keeping the RT

Josh Matlow, today wants to reopen the scarborough subway battle.

Back