Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The name "Spadina" in the YUS is like the "We cancelled the Spadina expressway!" but hard to understand if you didn't read about Toronto's proposed highways of the '50s and '60s

But really, even the Spadina expressway was only planned to actually go along Spadina for about 1/4 of its proposed length.

So the "SubwayInADitchBetweenBathurstAndDufferinToWilsonNowToDownsviewSoonToVCC" Line? They had to name it something. At the time it was conceived it was meant to follow the Spadina Expressway. That's as good a name as any.

So the "SubwayInADitchBetweenBathurstAndDufferinToWilsonNowToDownsviewSoonToVCC" Line? They had to name it something. At the time it was conceived it was meant to follow the Spadina Expressway. That's as good a name as any.

I'm not disagreeing that at the time there was some logic to it. It would be interesting to see what the results would be if the TTC ever had a renaming contest for the University-Spadina line, and a naming contest for the new DRT line (let's face it, DRL isn't the most interesting name in the world).

Why do transit geeks always get so riled up when people don't know the official name of things? Lots of people call it the yellow line or "the subway." Even people who ride it often may only hear "Attention passengers on the ....... currently experiencing a delay at ......."

They should rename YUS to just Yonge-University. It goes under Yonge, and then it goes under University, and then past U of T, and then to York.

Shame we could't be like some cities, and simply name the lines with more generic name. Like the Canada Line in Vancouver, or the Jubilee line in London. Something in keeping with the times.

Then we could give the entire YUS a simple name. Something in keeping with the times.

We could call it the Gravy Train. Or perhaps that's what we should call Sheppard (though at least it has a simple name already).

At the end of the day I really like saying Spadina (spuh-dye-na...it's a fun word), so I couldn't care less if it's slightly illogical. They could call the DRL the Rancho Cucamonga Line for all I care, as long as they build the damn thing.

At the end of the day I really like saying Spadina (spuh-dye-na...it's a fun word), so I couldn't care less if it's slightly illogical. They could call the DRL the Rancho Cucamonga Line for all I care, as long as they build the damn thing.

Haha, true on both counts. Spadina IS fun to say, and I think the "Rancho Cucamonga Line" can grow on me. =P

The name "Spadina" in the YUS is like the "We cancelled the Spadina expressway!" but hard to understand if you didn't read about Toronto's proposed highways of the '50s and '60s

It started in 1943 for this grand expressway city plans.

So the "SubwayInADitchBetweenBathurstAndDufferinToWilsonN owToDownsviewSoonToVCC" Line? They had to name it something. At the time it was conceived it was meant to follow the Spadina Expressway. That's as good a name as any.

I've always thought of the Y-U-S line to be three separate lines that happened to be contiguous. I use the "Yonge" subway (going around the "loop" if necessary to get to St Andrew or Osgoode), the "university" subway (going south to go north on the Yonge line if necessary, or north to get to the spadina subway) or the "spadina" subway to go northwest.

We could end the debate about the name by completing the Spadina Expressway....

Not sure what this is but the title sounds interesting:

Engineering Services for Steeles Subway Terminus Concept Design and Costing for Input to the Yonge North Benefits Cost Analysis RQQ-2011-ISP-010

Presumably the new subway tunnel north of Finch under Yonge that they want to prebuild soon for the Yonge subway extension ... that they are just going to use for train storage, etc. for now.

Presumably the new subway tunnel north of Finch under Yonge that they want to prebuild soon for the Yonge subway extension ... that they are just going to use for train storage, etc. for now.

With all the development happening between Finch and Steeles, I don't blame them to want to get on this now. It would be a lot harder to do construction on that stretch once it's lined with condos.

This should make use of the existing tunneling equipment being used currently for Spadina, to build the tunnel between Finch and Steeles. So in the end it's just a tunnel, and then when funding becomes available they just have to build the stations?

Last edited:

Back