Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

That's a great idea, except the DRL should also run to the northwest.

But that could be great idea to build a new waterfront station, with the crossover and pocket tracks after the platforms, for quicker train turnaround, avoiding those crawls you get now in later rush hours at Finch northbound or Kipling westbound.

Not to get ahead of ourselves here but... If the YUS were split and US were connected to another leg runing north along Jarvis or Parliment: Than we could still build the original DRL plan along a King or Queen alignment. Of course this plan assumes the DT population reaches nearly 5 million people in order to be feasible.

Not to get ahead of ourselves here but... If the YUS were split and US were connected to another leg runing north along Jarvis or Parliment: Than we could still build the original DRL plan along a King or Queen alignment. Of course this plan assumes the DT population reaches nearly 5 million people in order to be feasible.

I've never liked the idea of putting the DRL on King or Queen. If we did that, we'd never get a Queen Street Subway.

I'm not sure that's what you meant, but let's just remember that the original DRL plan was through Union and not along King or Queen.

That's a great idea, except the DRL should also run to the northwest.

But that could be great idea to build a new waterfront station, with the crossover and pocket tracks after the platforms, for quicker train turnaround, avoiding those crawls you get now in later rush hours at Finch northbound or Kipling westbound.

Why does the DRL west need to be connected to the DRL East? You can run the DRL East along the current proposed alignment, and the DRL West along the rail corridor from Union or even further south than the rail corridor. The DRL won't really be used for crosstown travel, it will act much the same way YUS does now: funnel people into downtown. There are very few people who ride the loop past Union, and I would imagine the DRL would be much the same.

Splitting it up into two separate lines would allow for more alignment flexibility (ie the entrance point of the line into downtown doesn't have to determine the exit point).

Part of my fantasy plan was to run a 4-track LRT tunnel under Queen (with express and local stops), and that would act as the DRL West.

Last edited:
I don't see the DRL West being built anytime soon. In the meantime, we might as well link DRL East with the University-Spadina line. After all, the Georgetown line will be getting additional stops and can replace a DRL West.

They could also end the University Line at Union as well as the Yonge Line and give it a different colour then it can look like we have more lines :D

There is no funding nor any timetable. Unless the installation of Automated Train Operation and the new subway cars prevents the overloading issues experienced on the line already this project will likely need to wait for the Downtown Relief Line which is currently under study. Maybe Rob Ford's subways only policy and the priority the province and York Region place on the Yonge extension might push the DRL forward. Hard to say when it will happen but I wouldn't plan your life around the completion of the Yonge line to Langstaff.

Can anyone tell me whats happing with Subway Extension? When is the project going to start and complete?

Since there is no Yonge Extension to York University,

EnviroTO is talking about the Yonge Subway Extension to Richmond Hill Centre
Asterix is talking about the Spadina Subway Extension to Vaughn Corporate Centre (via York University)

Since there is no Yonge Extension to York University,

EnviroTO is talking about the Yonge Subway Extension to Richmond Hill Centre
Asterix is talking about the Spadina Subway Extension to Vaughn Corporate Centre (via York University)

And Markster is talking about the Spadina Extension to Vaughan, not Vaughn.

They should call the west side the University Line, and the east side the Yonge Line. Although the last station is pretty important... maybe that line should be called the Vaughan Metroplex and Corporate Centre line.

And reaperexpress is talking about a subway extension that is really nothing to do with Spadina.

I always thought that calling it the Spadina subway was pretty stupid considering it's only actually running under Spadina for a bit over 1 station's length.

The name "Spadina" in the YUS is like the "We cancelled the Spadina expressway!" but hard to understand if you didn't read about Toronto's proposed highways of the '50s and '60s

Back