Toronto X The Condominium | ?m | 44s | Great Gulf | a—A

Indeed... i'm loving all the updates/shots today...

X looks very classy with the cladding almost all the way to the top! Can't wait to see X back in black!

The mystique of X and X2

In my opinion, X has been one of the more popular projects in recent times, at least on this forum. X launched very quitetly, with no fanfare, and sales trudged along, spanning into the deep freeze last fall/ winter. But the excitement and interest generated by this project was amazing.

Why do you think X crept up on us, and made us all fall so deeply in love?
When did we all get hooked? Was it when the glazing/ cladding started?
Why is it that her northern neighbor , Couture, barely made a blip on our radar?

(Of course the slightly less pretty sister benefited tremendously from X's popularity...and indeed her dance card was full before she even arrived at the rave)

Last edited:
I think there was a little more excitement than many other projects prior to construction because it's not the standard green glass nightmare nor typical Toronto precast building. Most importantly it draws it's inspiration from (arguably) our most beloved modern highrise towers in Toronto. Once the cladding and glass started to go in the excitement barometer went through the roof when we saw the renders were for real and has pretty much sat there as it continued to be installed up the building.
The location was questioned by some but the building also has pretty good floorplans for the most part which also helped with the respect factor.

minor observation, not sure if anyone has an explaination?

it appears that glass in the the top half of X is in a darker hue compared with the lower half of the building (which is green glass)??

4180499102_97283d2302_b.jpg

It only appears that way because the lower floors have white drywall installed while the upper floors still only have darker concrete behind the glass.

Joel in TO is correct.
the same glass is being used throughout the tower; that is, AGC's TiAc 40 on the exterior lite and 6mm clear float on the interior lite.
TiAc 40 is a high performance low e glass, incorporating a titanium coating.

That is a very interesting observation. I think they should make it mandatory that all exterior blinds or drapes are a mid grey and NOT WHITE.

This will emphazise the blackness.

White blinds and drapes will kill the effect.

I think it should be mandatory that you eat naught but pickled pigs foot every third Monday of the month. What? Don't like pickled pigs foot? Well too bad.

Mandating that blinds be the same color is equally asinine.

Most projects insist that blinds are white or off white, so why not a mid grey backing? Some projects even subsidize the cost of blinds, to ensure architectural unity....(Loretto, Context)

But perhaps white and off-white blinds are more abundant in regular retail stores?

Back