Toronto X The Condominium | ?m | 44s | Great Gulf | a—A

I agree also that the tower would have looked better with a flat roof (this might be a good subject for a poll). A flat roof could have easily been accomplished by designing two-storey penthouses with private roof top terraces. The developer could have made more money on the project as well since this would double the size of the penthouses.

Well, we finally found a flaw in X! I happen to agree although at least they did a good job with the small mechanical suite as opposed to a few other great projects that go very wrong at the top.

I was holding out hope that they would surprise us after all and continue the outside wall facades above this level, to more closely approximate a Mies design.

I am dismayed to say this shall not be.

:(

I've been thinking this for a while too. This is a huge disappointment. IMO they've ruined the essence of a beautiful design with this lousy box. Total cheap-out.

Why wouldn't they house the mechanicals in a top floor level that was hidden within the same dimensions of the tower?

I love everything about X... but this not so much.

Getting glazing at the X Condos in Toronto

150.jpg

WILLIAM CONWAY/PROGRESS PHOTOGRAPHY

The cladding on the balconies makes the building look alot nicer than it does now!

Why are the balconies so far behind compared to the rest of the building?

I'm also disappointed by the mechanical box :(

I guess no one is perfect (or in this case, not even a building as universally praised as X)

Dec 24 & 25 Update

X by night, and by day from above

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

^Nice pics. If you had panned down a bit you could have seen my old house! LOL

Taken from 100 Wellesley... I'm guessing the balcony of a NE 2 bedroom unit around the 25th floor?

:)

Last edited:
^Nice pics. If you had panned down a bit you could have seen my old house! LOL

Taken from 100 Wellesley... I'm guessing the balcony of a NE 2 bedroom unit around the 25th floor?

:)

I snuck up to the roof deck to take these which is currently closed for the installation of new glass around the perimeter of the roof line & brick work repairs. I waited to do these while the office was closed, hopefully security didn't spot me on one of those damn security cameras. All for Urban Toronto :)

Very nice new angle of X!... haven't seen it so sleek/slender/ center of attention before!!!

The glass looks quite greenish that day!.. cool!... and you can see so far north!... even NYCC in view!

The north and west facing sides of X along with the back of the towns

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Great shots there DT! I agree, I would have rather see the mechanical enclosed in glass similar to Murano. Oh well, still my favorite project.

Great shots there DT! I agree, I would have rather see the mechanical enclosed in glass similar to Murano. Oh well, still my favorite project.

Thank you JayBee :)

Both Muranos also have rooftop mechanical rooms clad in what appears to be brown aluminum. All three are sensational buildings but they do go a little wrong at the top. I think X's mech. room is a little higher and being so high profile in the area makes it easier to spot.

Back