Markham World on Yonge | ?m | 31s | Liberty Development | Kirkor Architects

looks like a mall, and those squares in front don't look like places to hangout voluntarily...the design details and material qualities are key. Will the squares outside and spaces within the mall function well for building and sustaining community? What will the ratio of outside visitors to residents be on a given day?

You know it's funny, we always say 'quality of materials is key' ... but in reality, you find for the good majority of the population that means nothing whatsoever.

People will hang out here (or not) based on everything but the quality of the finishes - they'll care about the stores / how accessible it is, and that's just about it really.

Yea the other thing I'm not in love with is the roundabout for cars on the inside - probably necessary for the mini mall though.

Regarding centerpoint mall - that's a long ways off to say the least - for all intensive purposes the subway expansion on Yonge has stalled - don't expect anything for quite a while.

Back in the 1980's there was a plan to build a large set of towers at Centrepoint (then called Town and Country - when it was built basically everything north of Steeles was country). They were going to put some money towards extending the subway in return for the density. The recession of the late 80's/early 90's put an end to that. I even saw the models in their office.

Centrepoint may not be going anywhere right now but I saw signs on Yonge indicating they had leasing opportunities. You know a mall is having trouble when they have to resort to billboards to find tenants.

A grocery below is nothing new. Loblaws at Empress Walk and Longos at MLSE come to mind. Also Metro at College Park.

Metro at College Park is not open such that they can be looked down on from above, and apart from an escalator at Longos, no, neither is it. The best example would be Whole Foods at Hazelton Lanes. I don't think you understood what the poster was saying.

Metro at College Park is not open such that they can be looked down on from above, and I won't speak for the other two since I've never seen them in person yet. The best example would be Whole Foods at Hazelton Lanes.

Neither is the Longos at MLSE

Back in the 1980's there was a plan to build a large set of towers at Centrepoint (then called Town and Country - when it was built basically everything north of Steeles was country). They were going to put some money towards extending the subway in return for the density. The recession of the late 80's/early 90's put an end to that. I even saw the models in their office.

Centrepoint may not be going anywhere right now but I saw signs on Yonge indicating they had leasing opportunities. You know a mall is having trouble when they have to resort to billboards to find tenants.

I know what you mean regarding the sign but there are really only a few vacancies in the mall last time I checked (a few weeks ago).
It's a little bit lower end now - ever since loblaws left and got replaced with no frills (or what not).

Metro at College Park is not open such that they can be looked down on from above, and apart from an escalator at Longos, no, neither is it. The best example would be Whole Foods at Hazelton Lanes. I don't think you understood what the poster was saying.
Loblaws at Empress Walk is exactly a below-grade supermarket open to the ground level from which one can "watch the activity of grocery shopping from above".

How close is this to Steeles? I remember hearing they were going to tear down that mall (Centre Point Mall?) and build a large condo & retail development. If that is still in the works, that area is going to be quite busy. It will need a subway.

It's very close to Steeles...unless you're a pedestrian. Even without the redevelopment of Centerpoint it's about to get really busy.
For those who don't know where it is, you can see the site here, between Meadowview and the CN tracks:
[apparently I don't know how to insert the picture, but it's here...]

Taal is right that the two smaller towers, along Meadowview (which is really Doncaster) are coming later, dependent on both servicing and rapid transit. There were no servicing constraints with the commercial stuff, which is why it's going forward along with the first towers.

Overall, I think it will be a great improvement to the area IF the subway comes soon. Otherwise, it's adding a lot density (not to mention setting a precedent for other developments) while rapid transit is in limbo.

How close is this to Steeles? I remember hearing they were going to tear down that mall (Centre Point Mall?) and build a large condo & retail development. If that is still in the works, that area is going to be quite busy. It will need a subway.

Steeles is about a 5-ish minute walk away from Meadowview/Doncaster. There's a YRT stop at Meadowview, but you'd have to choose between Steeles or Clark Ave for the VIVA bus.

Man I haven't been up there for a month and look what happens.

Looks like Galleria is moving across the street. Most importantly though, does anyone know what happened to that awesome stand in front of Galleria? It's the only place in Toronto I know of that sold Taiyaki (red bean filled fish shaped pastries)

Last edited:
Hallf of the plaza is gone now.
I had my first Korean food at the Galeria supermaket food court...It's good they are openning soon at the old Chapter store near steeles.

Last edited:
Construction is progressing well. There were 5 excavators on the site.

Looking toward the back (east) of the property:
attachment.php

Looking from the north-east corner of Yonge and Meadowview, the pit is getting pretty deep.
attachment.php

Galleria in its new location in the former Chapters.
attachment.php

Man I haven't been up there for a month and look what happens.

Looks like Galleria is moving across the street. Most importantly though, does anyone know what happened to that awesome stand in front of Galleria? It's the only place in Toronto I know of that sold Taiyaki (red bean filled fish shaped pastries)

Re: Taiyaki you can find at the intersection of Yonge/Finch. There is a Korean street vendor that sells it along with other authentic Korean snacks.

Nothing too groundbreaking (pun intended, I guess) but here are some shots of the site in progress. One is of the cleared southern end and another shows more digging right just east of where the Canadian Tiregas station was, at the corner of Doncaster/Meadowview and Yonge. (The dump truck is about at the old station location.)

world2.jpg
world1.jpg

Attachments

• world2.jpg
    world2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 290
  • world1.jpg
    world1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 293

Back