Markham World on Yonge | ?m | 31s | Liberty Development | Kirkor Architects

There are lots of architects who who actually choose spandrel, and not only for budgetary reasons; some like the particular look it gives. We can't know, however, why it was chosen in each case, and to assume it's to pretend it's fully clad in glass is a bit of a leap.

None of that is to dispute that it's the exception when spandrel ends up looking good and not the rule; at least that's my feeling. There are obviously others though who like it more than UT does in general, otherwise we wouldn't see so much of it.

In what way are the residential towers in this complex NOT mimicking an all-glass tower? Its aesthetic is completely based off of modernist/post-modern glass towers. The use of spandrel within the design is clearly for one purpose: to create a "seemless" facade that appears to be all-glass.

I stand by what I said; we need more creative architectural solutions in this city than to just cover buildings in spandrel and glass. Where are all the other materials?

In what way are the residential towers in this complex NOT mimicking an all-glass tower? Its aesthetic is completely based off of modernist/post-modern glass towers. The use of spandrel within the design is clearly for one purpose: to create a "seemless" facade that appears to be all-glass.

I say there's a difference between pretending to be all glass (which to be sounds like you mean all vision glass), and wanting the sleek look over a facade that the gloss of glass gives. Of course, most spandrel is back-painted glass. Certainly the aesthetic comes from modernist glass towers, but to pretend infers an attempt to fool the viewer. This building, like most with spandrel on them, isn't fooling anyone.

I stand by what I said; we need more creative architectural solutions in this city than to just cover buildings in spandrel and glass. Where are all the other materials?

No disagreement there.

This building, like most with spandrel on them, isn't fooling anyone.

It's indeed an attempt to fool the viewer, and ends up looking very unconvincing. Which is why it gets flack around here.

A building that uses spandrel appropriately and in its proper place instead of as a "fake-vision-glass" can look great. But here it's been used as a replicated "placeholder" for vision glass and it's just awful.

There's really no way to justify the final product here, I'd say Hullmark (the south side of the tower) took a similar heavy spandrel approach but it turned out better. Actually some side by sides would be nice to compare.

Took a drive along Eglinton (east of Warden) and some of the office buildings built 20/30 years ago in the area very much resemble the office component of this project. Though it is a little too early to judge the final product in terms of the office building.

We're hating on it when it's used un-creatively and in place of architecturally considered solutions.

Why would one design a building that has to PRETEND to be fully clad in glass but is in fact largely spandrel? There are plenty of different materials one can clad a building in that are ultimately just as attractive and interesting (or even more-so!) than just glass/spandrel/window-wall.

Sure, but I don't think the matte-like use of spandrel is in any way trying to pretend to be glass. I agree that other materials would be more interesting, but it's hard to think of much that wouldn't be cost prohibitive. I don't mind pre-cast concrete when it's well done, but other options like stone or metal would present challenges.

While I don't necessarily love this project, I would argue that it's better than 90% of what's in NYCC or STC: Hullmark is slightly nicer in my opinion, and there's a few other projects that turned out well. I'll wait until it's finished, but I think World on Yonge looks pretty good in person.

No it looks worse in person ... and I disagree that 90% of what's in NYCC or STCC is worse, rather that this is essentially on part with the 90%. Honestly I'd take a precast tower over this.

It really is worse in person too ... it looks OK in certain lighting conditions, namely when its very bright.

Last edited:
I want this to be a good looking developement sooo badly, but it just ain't so. this is a blight on the urban landscape, and I am amazed it ever got approved.

at least it brings an urban walkable environment to yonge north of finch.

Why is it a surprise it got approved? It looked great in the renderings ... I doubt the city (i.e. Markham) got more information regarding the project then we did (in terms of materials used).

Generally a city won't care, other then the built form, this brings a lot of retail / office use to this stretch and that's great for Markham.

I have to say, I'm not a fan of these "mini malls" though, I don't think they're the way to go at all, essentially they do little to make an area more walkable. This project on the whole won't work well with any other projects planned to the north / south of the site. Its a "mega complex" per say ... standalone ... that's where these things fail in my mind.

Maybe for Yonge that's fine.

walking bridge?

Hey so there is a slightly dilapidated pedestrian bridge east of yonge connecting this site to the shopping center to the south, I was wondering if anyone knew if it is in fact being repurposed and used? it would certainly add connections for people at the back of the property who needed to go south but didn't have to go out to yonge. Its basically as far away from yonge as where a street should be.

February 18th/2013.

WORLD-ON-YONGE-18-02-2013-1.jpg

WORLD-ON-YONGE-18-02-2013-2.jpg

WORLD-ON-YONGE-18-02-2013-3.jpg

WORLD-ON-YONGE-18-02-2013-4.jpg

WORLD-ON-YONGE-18-02-2013-5.jpg

Just drove by this recently, the condos are ugly ... meh ... what surprises me is how bad the office building is ! They used the same type of finishes as the condos ! I hope the top half is at least nicer. Generally offices in the suburbs look good, by that I mean not special, but the typical dark seamless glass you downtown.

Though the offices are office condos, which probably factors into the quality. I'm sure about these office condos, I'm guessing only smaller operations will setup shop, startups / medical / ... will be curious to see how they work as there are several such projects in the GTA.

It fascinates me that someone who went through architecture school created this. Then again, you can't really teach somebody good taste.

Back