Toronto Worklofts + Flatiron Lofts in the Film District | ?m | 11s | Lamb Dev Corp | Core Architects

The contrast of the one curvilinear (?) building vs the other more sharp and angular building achieves something the Parade seems to have failed at.

I agree however the outcome is achieved by Lamb wanting to maximize space on irregular lots divided by a defunct railway spur ... I guess my point we need more irregular lots with stircter limits on height than density

Also, The city should designate the chiquita banana trailer that has been sitting on the lot for 20 years and force Lamb to incorporate

Wow, that is the most creative site plan I've seen in years! Brad J Lamb might be a massive douchebag, but he has left a legacy of good neo-modernist buildings around the city.

Wow, that is the most creative site plan I've seen in years! Brad J Lamb might be a massive douchebag, but he has left a legacy of good neo-modernist buildings around the city.

Funny, but true. These plans look like Lamb knows something that many other developers either neglect or are ignorant of. No bad for a "massive douchebag" (which he certainly comes off sounding like).

Reminds me of this :

30-Canon-St_300w.jpg

The former Credit Lyonnais Bank building in London, just sold for 35 million quid...

I wonder how they got around the 6 story hieght limitation, without holding a community/public meeting to change the zoning?

it looks to be about 12 stories tall. I don't mind though.

Do you live across the street?

I wonder how they got around the 6 story hieght limitation, without holding a community/public meeting to change the zoning?

Do you live across the street?

I don't live across the street. But I think the intersection is large enough that the building won't look out of place or create major shadowing issues.

I don't like the outside columns much, but they could work, given that Dundas and Carlaw is not a shopping district, though it could use some neighbourhood retail.

Otherwise, nice. It's got a touch of art deco. Would it be appropriate to call it neo-art moderne?

I-Z1 is right. There are no empty lots other than the ones already specified by this design. And no...there will NEVER be a city place design in this neghbourhood. I totally agree that this neighbourhood and Carlaw in particular might be better served by more density but why is it that people equate every condo tower design as being the next city space. If I'm not mistaken...isn't this design to be mixed use?

I've also heard that construction on the print factory lofts is being delayed because the developers are losing money because the design doesn't include any mixed use of the building? Could someone else confirm or deny this?

Really? I've got a bad photo of the Printing Factory Lofts building--with equipment seen in the shot here:

Re: my City Place comment. I wasn't referring to the form (highrises) but rather to the vastness of the Dundas-Gerrard/Carlaw-Logan area and the many dreary parking lots, lowrise crappy buildings etc that could be redeveloped into higher density residential.

I much prefer what Brad Lamb is doing in this area to the blandness that is C.P.

I-Z1 is right. There are no empty lots other than the ones already specified by this design. And no...there will NEVER be a city place design in this neghbourhood. I totally agree that this neighbourhood and Carlaw in particular might be better served by more density but why is it that people equate every condo tower design as being the next city space. If I'm not mistaken...isn't this design to be mixed use?

I've also heard that construction on the print factory lofts is being delayed because the developers are losing money because the design doesn't include any mixed use of the building? Could someone else confirm or deny this?

I would doubt that very highly--it looks to me as if the site is being excavated now, with lots of heavy machinery and people on site.

(I bought a unit at the project and check it out every couple of days!)

Also, the salesman told me the site is indeed "mixed use" and can be used for work purposes (in other words, I guess there is a special zoning code that allows both residential and employment uses).

Back