Toronto Worklofts + Flatiron Lofts in the Film District | ?m | 11s | Lamb Dev Corp | Core Architects

This is a nice building? Its bland, boring and uninspiring. Possibly the only redeeming quality is that the building is curved, other than that, what makes this special? Also, I got the impression that the Portlands Area mandate was to push better and higher standards with regards to architecture, design and urban planning...This is certainly not an example of that.

Oh please. The building will be fine. Not every residential project in the city needs to be a landmark - this project looks to be a lot better than most new condo buildings going up in Toronto. Scale, massing, materials, location are all fine. Nothing spectacular, but clearly not as dreadful as you make it sound.

Initial reaction is it looks like an excellent 'Avenues' building.

I say the city could use hundreds of buildings such as this along streets like Bloor, Sheppard, Eglinton etc.

Update on Potential Location

Well, met a neighbour for lunch today who heard that it is located here at Dundas and Carlaw on the SSE corner. The shape looks right.

workloftsdundasot4.jpg

If so, great. Carlaw has seen a whole slew of warehouse / loft conversions lately; a couple of big ones are wrapping up construction right now. The Dundas corner is a strange one right now. Would be nice to see it develop without the benefit of square point towers.

Though because it's so weird and (current-and-ex-)industrialized, I think it's as befitting a location for "square point towers" as anyplace around these parts.

Besides, there's an older 60's "square point tower" on Carlaw N of Dundas. A pretty crude one, but hey, it *is* a precedent...

Oh please. The building will be fine. Not every residential project in the city needs to be a landmark - this project looks to be a lot better than most new condo buildings going up in Toronto. Scale, massing, materials, location are all fine. Nothing spectacular, but clearly not as dreadful as you make it sound.

If I had a dollar for everytime someone posts that exact reply...I honestly think it is bland and boring- I don't know why I am not entitled to expressing what I think about the building, whether positive or negative- you think its fine, where as I am expressing my discontent.

And no, not every building has to be a wonder of architecture or designed by a superstar, on the contrary-I just think we have seen this type of building recycled over an over, just in a variety of shapes an forms. This is about creating something more than, " well, its fine for what it is.." architecture..

p5

Flatiron Lofts (Dundas & Carlaw, Lamb, 11s, Core)

This is part 2 of the Worklofts development.

http://www.lambdevcorp.com/newdevelopments/flatironlofts.php

I like the horizontal lines that wrap around the building. The shape of the windows combined with the brick mimic the heritage Wrigley Lofts on the same block. I think this will fit in the area very well. I have a feeling there may be issues with the height though - it looks to be about 12 stories tall. I don't mind though.

I really really like this development. The contrast of the one curvilinear (?) building vs the other more sharp and angular building achieves something the Parade seems to have failed at. My only concern would be related to the free form vs. sharper design/contrast scheme. If that is what the developer was going for than the one wall of the more triangular building (on the right in the renders) that faces the other building should be straight and not a curve. Other than that, well done. A nice looking and wholly un-Toronto looking development.

King east looks like it could take a shot as the next queen west.

Back