Toronto Worklofts + Flatiron Lofts in the Film District | ?m | 11s | Lamb Dev Corp | Core Architects

from today's Star....

Flatiron building suits area's industrial past

Triangular shaped project emulates design of iconic Toronto, New York structures
July 19, 2008

Valerie hauch

TORONTO STAR

Flat irons have long disappeared from the everyday household but the distinctive triangular shape of this once common appliance is well-known to Torontonians and New Yorkers, in particular.

Indeed, anyone who appreciates interesting architecture knows about Toronto's Gooderham Flatiron building, built in 1892 at Front and Wellington Sts., and New York City's 1902 Flatiron building – considered one of the world's first skyscrapers, even though it's a measly 22 storeys. Another, lesser-known Flatiron building was built in Atlanta, Ga. in 1897.

The unusual shapes of the lots where those buildings were constructed determined their shape.

And now, another Flatiron building on another pie-shaped sort of lot, will be constructed in Toronto – the Flatiron Lofts, a Lamb Development Corp. project to be at Dundas St. E. and Carlaw Ave.

"We felt that the triangular site at a key transition point at Dundas and Carlaw needed to have an iconic, lasting piece of architecture that reflected the resurgence of this formerly industrial area," says Brad Lamb, president of the Lamb Development Corp.

"Our flat iron-shaped project fits perfectly into the brick industrial fabric of the street, and our sister development Worklofts to the south. Carlaw Ave. and Queen St. E., in general, is the most exciting stretch of Toronto."

Designed by Core Architects Inc., the Flatiron Lofts building will be finished with horizontal bands of plum-coloured brick and glass and consist of 10 storeys, plus a penthouse, with 85 residential and 16 commercial units, with boutique-style stores on the street level and commercial studios on the second level.

The size of the commercial units range from 482 square feet to 1,648 square feet and in price from $173,900 to $642,900. The residential suites range in size from 563 square feet to 2,240 square feet and in price from $228,900 to more than $1.3 million.

Levels three through six in the building will offer 12 lofts per floor and levels seven through 10 will offer 10 lofts per floor. There will only be six lofts on the 10th storey penthouse level. Some suites come with oversized terraces and others with six-foot-deep balconies.

Standard features in the units include engineered hardwood floors throughout, quartz or granite countertops, glass mosaic tile backsplash, single or double bowl undermount stainless steel sink, gas stove, gas hookups on terraces and balconies, high-gloss Italian cabinetry, four stainless steel appliances, nine-foot exposed concrete ceilings, rain shower head, basin integrated into solid surface countertop, soaker bathtub, pressure-balanced mixing valve in bathtub and shower, as per plan, intrusion alarm system.

The building will also have a main entry vestibule system, which will allow residents to view the area on their television. Amenities include guest suites, an outdoor terrace and board/meeting rooms. Maintenance fees are estimated at 50 cents per square foot.

Construction is expected to start in November with first occupancies expected in November 2010.

Check the website, flatironlofts.ca, call 416-368-5262 or drop by the sales centre at 319 Carlaw Ave. It's open Monday to Wednesday from noon to 6 p.m., Thursday and Friday it's closed and weekends it's open noon to 5 p.m.

Here kitty, kitty, kitty...

Shadow
Urban Design staff have conducted a review of shadow studies submitted by the applicant and
have concluded that the proposed height and massing would not create significant negative
impacts on Carlaw Avenue or in the surrounding neighbourhood.

I know, it's old, old, old, but I was reading through the thread and report as Shilly had just reposted, and this quote caught my eye...

;)

Does Mr. Lamb have his financing in place and enough customers? I'd say these projects might get delayed, for no other reason except there's a dozen plus condos for sale just down the street, and I assume more condos will come on to the market once the Printing Factory gets finished (although that's still a way off.)

^^^ I'm not sure about what the sales have been like, but my suspicion would be that financing wouldn't be a problem for this project. Financing would be more a problem for projects like 1 Bloor or Aura (not trying to spread any rumors just examples of large projects), where the developer would require large loans from multiple sources to fund the cost of construction. Smaller projects such as this, subject to strong sales numbers, I would think would have less trouble through the financial crisis.

Financing is an issue with many residential projects right now. Size and scale are obviously an issue with some projects, but there are many smaller projects which are also experiencing difficulties due to banks tightening credit and requiring larger equity investments by development proponents. That being said I don't know that status of Mr. Lamb's relationship with his investors and financial partners.

The gas station on the site shut down some time ago which I thought was a good sign for the clean-up of the site and the start of construction. However, as I drove by last night I saw a sign on the site "Gas Station for Lease" posted by Brad J. Lamb Realty.

The gas station on the site shut down some time ago which I thought was a good sign for the clean-up of the site and the start of construction. However, as I drove by last night I saw a sign on the site "Gas Station for Lease" posted by Brad J. Lamb Realty.

Hmmm ... do you think that means this project is dead??!!??

Probably means they will concentrate on getting the Work Lofts built first instead of building both at once?? That would be my guess anyway.

It's pretty much a declaration that this project is at least on hold for the time being.

That's going into the thread title.

It's pretty much a declaration that this project is at least on hold for the time being.

That's going into the thread title.

So that means it's been delayed and purchasers are still on the hook since it's not officially 'cancelled'?

If we hear that deposits have been returned, which would likely hit the papers, or come from one of the forum's well informed, then we'll switch it to 'canceled'.

Back