Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

My lord! The area is still under construction haha. Have faith that the new library, several new parks, new pedestrian bridges, the Loblaws!!, new retail along Fort York Blvd, etc. will all liven things up. Better yet, don't visit here until it's all completed in a few years time.

The area is actually fairly busy and people are out and about -- not in this weather as much! It's not a wasteland but yes, it can be a lot more and as RiverCity says, much is still in development, and Fort York is working hard to bring more people to the area for the many activities going on at the fort. In the summer, there's always something going on, especially on weekends with lots of running events, shows at the Ex and vicinity, Jays games -- oh yeah, that's what brings a lot of the traffic we complain about, lol.

No, it's not Queen Street and never will be, and people who live in the area aren't looking for that -- or we'd live on Queen Street -- but we would like a bit more balance with some services and retail that don't currently exist.

Last edited:
The area should have more commercial space mixed with the residential space in the podiums. The storefronts that have been built are hardly proportionate to the number of residents in the community, the customer base on the downtown west side immediately surrounding the community and the number of people that come to the area from nearby Union Station and the Spadina and Bathurst streetcar lines. The built form of towers evokes a vibrant downtown community, but the fact that it's mostly residential makes for streets lacking in animation.

I believe they mentioned plan is to relocate the headquarters here but I'm not entirely sure. What they did mention is that Weston Family is heavily invested in this site and they recognize its significance to their family and the heritage of the company. The retail and commercial component are built at the same time so one helps the other,

I think they would have to pay a lot of money to Orlando to get out of the lease at their current headquarters.

I think they would have to pay a lot of money to Orlando to get out of the lease at their current headquarters.

Right, I don't think the plan was to move their HQ, rather open up another office at this location.

I don't think it would be big enough for an HQ but certainly for a department or two, or a division --- like Shopper's!

I don't think it would be big enough for an HQ but certainly for a department or two, or a division --- like Shopper's!

This would be an ideal location for store support and merchandising, seeing as employees would have access to an actual store just downstairs.

Yah, I doubt they'd leave their newish Brampton digs too. However, it stands to reason that a a department or two (i.e., marketing, media relations, etc.) could move into the city.

COMMITTEE OF ADJUSTMENT
AGENDA
TORONTO EAST YORK PANEL B
Hearing Date: August 20, 2014
Time: 1:30 p.m.
Location: Committee Room 2 - Toronto City Hall - 100 Queen Street West

500 LAKE SHORE BLVD W
File Number: B0045/14TEY Zoning IC D3 N1.5 (WAIVER)
Ward: Trinity-Spadina (20)
Property Address: 500 LAKE SHORE BLVD W Community: Toronto
Legal Description: PLAN D1397 PT HOUISEY ST PLAN D1429 PT BLKS 1 AND 2 RP 66R22509
PARTS 1 TO 8 11 24 AND 32

THE CONSENT REQUESTED:
To obtain consent to sever the property into two lots and to create various reciprocal easements/rights-of-way
for a mixed-use development with a seven-storey commercial building, a 38-storey residential tower and a
43-storey residential tower.
http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toro...df/C/C of A TEY Agenda August 20, 2014 PM.pdf

Yes! Downtown is so short of Shopper's. There are still some places where you can't throw a stone and hit a Shopper's. Imagine that.:)

That's a very good sign if it works out .. the more jobs in that area the better.

COMMITTEE OF ADJUSTMENT
AGENDA
TORONTO EAST YORK PANEL B
Hearing Date: August 20, 2014
Time: 1:30 p.m.
Location: Committee Room 2 - Toronto City Hall - 100 Queen Street West

500 LAKE SHORE BLVD W
File Number: B0045/14TEY Zoning IC D3 N1.5 (WAIVER)
Ward: Trinity-Spadina (20)
Property Address: 500 LAKE SHORE BLVD W Community: Toronto
Legal Description: PLAN D1397 PT HOUISEY ST PLAN D1429 PT BLKS 1 AND 2 RP 66R22509
PARTS 1 TO 8 11 24 AND 32

THE CONSENT REQUESTED:
To obtain consent to sever the property into two lots and to create various reciprocal easements/rights-of-way
for a mixed-use development with a seven-storey commercial building, a 38-storey residential tower and a
43-storey residential tower.
http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toro...df/C/C of A TEY Agenda August 20, 2014 PM.pdf
Any updates?

Yah, I doubt they'd leave their newish Brampton digs too. However, it stands to reason that a a department or two (i.e., marketing, media relations, etc.) could move into the city.

Yes! Downtown is so short of Shopper's. There are still some places where you can't throw a stone and hit a Shopper's. Imagine that.:)

Not a Shopper's store -- a head office department. Office space, not retail.

Of course this ignores the fact that over 2012/2013 Loblaws laid off about 1,000 workers at that new head office....workers that would have been occupying space that they are contractually obligated to pay rent on......so I think they are a few years of hiring and growth away from needing additional office space.

With nothing happening, it's going to be a few years ... like it has already been a few years since the store was supposed to be open!

If there is extra space (if the Bathurst/Lake Shore development gets built), they can always rent it out to dentists. The area isn't totally over-saturated with them. (Nail salons and dry cleaners can fill the retail space :) )

Back