Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

The original plans (like, 5 years ago) had street animation along Lake Shore -- too bad they seem to have ditched that.

Adam Vaughan has been promising that Fort York Blvd would be open in "weeks" for months now ...

And yes, thanks for taking the time to type all that out :) Much appreciated.

Fort York Blvd needs to open..this year lol.

I do like the TTC shuttle loop around idea; especially with the new proposed condo projects on Front St and the Rio Can/Allied proposed Mall. That would be awesome for locals. On minus 30 degree days walking even 5 mins is too much lol.

Lastly. entrances are planed for the northern portion of the site. Residents got pretty upset with the lack of street animation of bathurst and lakeshore so there are discussions about retail opportunities along bathurst and lakeshore facades to animate the streetscape there. City planners are hoping with new condos coming up along the bathurst facing side they will include retail in their bathurst faces at grade creating a community hub with the new Garrison creek park and library and such.

Very helpful summary, thanks!
Any new renders or photos?

I didnt get a chance to snap any photos but the city has the reports up online soon and they can be requested for renders. I'll post if i come across them again

I didnt get a chance to snap any photos but the city has the reports up online soon and they can be requested for renders. I'll post if i come across them again

Thanks for the update. Did they happen to mention when they expect to get the ball rolling on construction ?

Photo is a little dated but this would fill in the last piece along Lakeshore and tie in very nicely with other developments just to the north.

32EDC5A4-364F-4622-B30A-2BA7B536C4F8.jpg

Lastly. entrances are planed for the northern portion of the site. Residents got pretty upset with the lack of street animation of bathurst and lakeshore so there are discussions about retail opportunities along bathurst and lakeshore facades to animate the streetscape there. City planners are hoping with new condos coming up along the bathurst facing side they will include retail in their bathurst faces at grade creating a community hub with the new Garrison creek park and library and such.

I love how planning staff needed to be angrily told about the lack of street animation along Lakeshore/Fleet and Bathurst, as if they had nothing to do with all recent developments down there. Now they plan on doing something about it?

Staff expected a better retail experience in the new buildings but it seems dry cleaners are just too pesky to stay away. residents want better retail not just more retail which govt has no control over. Staff recognized the short comings of the retail/street experience. But yah kinda finny how after everything is built they are trying to sound the alarm.

Loblaws is ready to go with the grocery store asap. grocery is moving ahead regardless of the towers. they know there is a market and they want it now. its just an issue of slugging it our through the appeals processes for the site plan and new towers. the whole shebang is expected to be constructed by 2016-2017 hopefully with the grocery store opening sooner than that

Staff expected a better retail experience in the new buildings but it seems dry cleaners are just too pesky to stay away. residents want better retail not just more retail which govt has no control over. Staff recognized the short comings of the retail/street experience. But yah kinda finny how after everything is built they are trying to sound the alarm.
Part of the problem is that some of the condos in the area have no retail clauses in their declarations because the developers thought people didn't want it (duh!) and in those buildings that do have retail spaces, rent is really high and spaces have been sitting empty. That is finally changing though with a few new retailers (pet store and a coffee shop) opening.

Loblaws is ready to go with the grocery store asap. grocery is moving ahead regardless of the towers. they know there is a market and they want it now. its just an issue of slugging it our through the appeals processes for the site plan and new towers. the whole shebang is expected to be constructed by 2016-2017 hopefully with the grocery store opening sooner than that

In terms of the office space was that going ahead as well, i.e. independently of the condos, and any idea if Loblaws planned on taking the office space for it self ?

I believe they mentioned plan is to relocate the headquarters here but I'm not entirely sure. What they did mention is that Weston Family is heavily invested in this site and they recognize its significance to their family and the heritage of the company. The retail and commercial component are built at the same time so one helps the other,

Sounds like somebody dropped the ball on realizing nobody wants to have to cross the railtracks to reach civilization. Hoping that the Harbour plaza live-works help liven up that area

The live-works really limit retail -- they're dentists (already enough), real estate agents (already enough) and dry cleaners (already enough)!

This area of the city does feel isolated and deserted. I see very few people walking around here, even in the summer. I hate single use neighbourhoods like this, especially when they are built in/near the downtown core. This should have been a more mixed use area. Neighbourhoods like this should be restricted to the suburbs. Who moves downtown to live in a lifeless, suburban enclave? Walking here is not pleasant or interesting. (it's alienating)

Back