Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

I've missed a lot of the progression of this project and thread. Has there been any talk to what WATERFRONToronto will do with their land? It looks like the land swap was successful and WT got a much more useable portion of property than the thin dockside strip they had before.

This is the foot of Yonge St. I expect that something very special will be built here.

I wouldn't expect that at all, and in fact quite the opposite.

I've missed a lot of the progression of this project and thread. Has there been any talk to what WATERFRONToronto will do with their land? It looks like the land swap was successful and WT got a much more useable portion of property than the thin dockside strip they had before.

This is the foot of Yonge St. I expect that something very special will be built here.

Here is a bit of info on the future of that site..:cool:

Captain John’s Restaurant: Inside the Toronto landmark that’s now a duct-taped dream

Captain†John Letnik would love nothing more than to sail into the sunset of his golden years.

But his landmark Captain John’s Restaurant is mired both in the muck of Lake Ontario and an ongoing tax battle with civic officials who quietly wish the rusting 300-foot ship would just go away.

A few weeks ago — right after hip surgery finally convinced Letnik, 73, that his long days as a cook and once-renowned restaurateur are over — he slapped For Sale signs on the rusting hull of his beloved ship, Jadran.

Now Letnik is searching the world for someone keen to take up an expensive hobby, or foreign investors looking to park their millions offshore.

But Letnik’s duct-taped dream of a new future for his business may be sunk by other problems: The captain, who is actually trained to cook rather than sail, owes well over half a million dollars in back taxes, rent and insurance on the watery slip and the Queens Quay walkway to the ship’s gangplank.

And while Letnik and the broker working overtime to find the ship a visionary new captain are convinced of the contrary, waterfront officials are highly unlikely to grant the Jadran the long-term lease essential to make it viable for investors.

“The waterfront is changing and we are tasked with making it a fabulous public space for everyone,†says Michelle Noble, a spokesperson for Waterfront Toronto. It plans to turn the adjacent parking lot into an extension of the waterfront promenade.

“The long-term vision is that that land (where the gangplank to Captain John’s now sits) would become a great public park, befitting its location at the foot of Yonge St. — such an important location for the city and the waterfront.â€

Without a buyer, Letnik warns, the city has no chance of recouping what it’s owed. And while the Toronto Port Authority has the legal right under the Canada Marine Act to seize a ship for moneys owed, that could prove to be a far more costly headache given the ship would have to be towed.

And is there really anyone else who would want it?

Sadly, the former cruise ship — home to Captain John’s Restaurant since 1969 — has become more eyesore than icon over the last two decades, towering at the foot of Yonge St. in the midst of prime waterfront land undergoing a remarkable transformation
More.....http://www.thestar.com/business/art...o-landmark-that-s-now-a-duct-taped-dream?bn=1

4 May 2012

IMG3938-L.jpg

IMG3941-L.jpg

Was that a joke? Aren't these things supposed to porcelain white? It would be a shame if this waterfront monument became a tribute to Soviet architecture.

Seriously? It's on the property line of an industrial sugar refinery. I'm impressed they're even doing the slanted lines

Torontovibe's last pic made me wonder - will the water's edge promenade curve back to Queen's Quay at the easternmost edge of Pier 27 or will there just be a dead end at Redpath?

It will be a dead end at Redpath. Rebuilding of Queens Quay East with the addition of a new LRT will include an improved pedestrian experience along that street though, taking walkers and bicyclists east to Corus Quay and beyond. We will have to wait for that though – an undetermined number of years at this point – as only the rebuild of Queens Quay West is funded at this point. Its reconstruction starts soon.

that's amazing that they held to my initial design so closely, I was hoping the breaks in the precast would form the slanted lines but it was probably too tricky/expensive to pull off

Back