Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

June 9
More up on site
7367364964_a80ddd7b47_b.jpg

7367343932_fb54d09cff_b.jpg

7182117181_df7b5d0b95_b.jpg

7182118345_0dfddfc9fa_b.jpg

Great update :) I love that eastern wall with the small cut-outs. I know it's far from flashy but any sort of randomized geometry like that gets me every time ;)

You're speaking to an architecture student. So yes, I know that those had to be planned on some level.

They had to work hard to get the randomized look. It didn't just happen.

You're speaking to an architecture student. So yes, I know that those had to be planned on some level.

Well it was and it wasn't.

The idea? Pretty simple - just strip away some of the precast in a few designated spots. The execution? Slightly more difficult (though not excessively so) - a junior architect worked with a more senior staffer to figure out roughly where the cuts would lie, then selected the 'box' function in AutoCAD and fired away.

Shocker makes the 'randomization' of certain elements in a building seem like a herculean task and gives utmost respect to the resulting effect. In reality, its a rather begin trick which really doesn't require much thought (though that effect certainly is delightful).

This, I'll add, is not to deny the utter frustration which arises when complications in detailing and 'speccing' plague a building, but merely to confirm that 'randomization,' though pretty, is not necessarily difficult.

Last edited:
Maybe this was answered elsewhere, but I persume there will be no retail ? I'm OK with that honestly as I can't see it doing well, where would it go, fronting the water ?

I'm worried about there plans for the water are! Will it match the quality of sugar beach and the like nearby ?

I beleive there will be retail in the second phase, which is the one actually fronting queens quay. IIRC, waterfront toronto owns the last 20 or 30 feet from the waterfront, And I'm sure it will be handled correctly.

I think this would have been a great location for a 2 storey fine restaurant/cafe overlooking the lake. Toronto could use a few more really nice restaurants right on the waterfront. This central location would have been perfect.

I think this would have been a great location for a 2 storey fine restaurant/cafe overlooking the lake. Toronto could use a few more really nice restaurants right on the waterfront. This central location would have been perfect.

'Against the Grain' at Corus could use some competition. It seems their perfect location has made them lazy because they know they will be packed no matter what, at least when the weather is good. Waited almost an hour for our meals, which were OK, and they made at least small mistakes every step of the way. They even tried to give us a crappy table whilst there were several lakeside tables available.

Back