Toronto Via Bloor | 138.37m | 46s | Tridel | a—A

Not me. This part of Bloor is basically a highway and it's a horrible street level experience. I dread anytime I have to walk around there. Give me a block from the waterfront any day of the week.
10 York is sandwiched between Lake Shore and Harbour, which are both way worse even than that (admittedly pretty terrible) stretch of Bloor.

10 York is sandwiched between Lake Shore and Harbour, which are both way worse even than that (admittedly pretty terrible) stretch of Bloor.
For some reason I think of Via Bloor as being on Howard Street just as much as on Bloor. Howard street does have some ugly buildings on it but it also has some cool old eclectic and historic ones like around Bleeker where they are putting in a new park soon. I find this area extremely interesting.

Well, on the other side, with 10 York you are steps away from the water, top restaurants, The Path, financial district, Union, Scotia Arena, all right outside the front door pretty much.

Via Bloor? There is nothing there. At least that's how I felt when I walked by last weekend. Maybe I need to give it another try.

Well, on the other side, with 10 York you are steps away from the water, top restaurants, The Path, financial district, Union, Scotia Arena, all right outside the front door pretty much.

Via Bloor? There is nothing there. At least that's how I felt when I walked by last weekend. Maybe I need to give it another try.
Vía Bloor is steps away from the Selby, that new popular French restaurant, the subway can take you to Whole Foods in a couple minutes, there are grocery stores within a 5 minute walk, walk south on parliament for a few minutes to find all the interesting stores and small restaurants in Cabbagetown. It’s much quieter than downtown, but I think that’s a good thing for many people, unless you prefer to be in the busy financial district. I would hate that personally. Everyone is different.

We all know Tridel never intended this to have the quality or design aesthetic of 10 York, SQ1, SQ2, or Aquabella. They never saw this as the jewel of their portfolio. This isn't horrible, but it's not great. It's a B-. Overall, it's a MASSIVE improvement for the area.

This project from the start never hid what it was going to become, so there shouldn't be any surprises. If anything, it's looking much better than expected.
B+ for the square tower. D- for the oval tower. The angled columns at the base save it from an F.

Today

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

B+ for the square tower. D- for the oval tower. The angled columns at the base save it from an F.
You know, when these ovals...

...look a darn sight better, despite using similar window wall crap, one could reasonably say something went off the rails from the drawing board to building it.

And as Tridal has demonstrated here...

...there is no real excuse for this.

Back