Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

That China story is interesting. Are they going to form a committee to vet various controversial projects? Who gets to sit on it, and what qualifies them? It's funny, they appear to be increasingly self-conscious about their world image and that's bleeding into their construction/urban ambitions.

Anyway, we could almost use something along the same lines here... to quash future abominations like HNR Dundas Square Tower and Hotel X before they have a chance of getting off the ground.

On a brighter note,

"Bizarre architecture that is not economical, functional, aesthetically pleasing or environmentally friendly will be forbidden, while construction techniques that generate less waste and use fewer resources, such as the use of prefabricated buildings, will be encouraged.”

The UK had been at it for awhile, though only applied to school projects:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/oct/02/new-school-building-designs-curve-ban

The templates tell architects new schools should have "no curves or 'faceted' curves", corners should be square, ceilings should be left bare and buildings should be clad in nothing more expensive than render or metal panels above head height. As much repetition as possible should be used to keep costs down.

"A standardised approach should be taken, with the aim of creating simple designs that have the potential to be replicated on a number of sites," the templates state. "This may be achieved by using standardised dimensions for similar types of spaces that are integrated into an efficient planning and structural grid."

The prohibitions and prescriptions seem targeted to prevent the schools being designed by architects such as Lord Foster and Dame Zaha Hadid who have won prizes for school designs that employed irregular curves and shapes and innovative materials, but have been criticised for spending too much.

Whereas here everything is value-engineered to death - they'd use paper mache if one can get away with it.

AoD

Last edited:
My understanding is that the social and economic situation in China is behind the formation of the committee. Iconic buildings that were desired by government to attract attention were promoted in spades over the last decade plus. Now, however, growth is slowing and people are angry. Buildings like the CCTV in Beijing, which were financed by and for government, are seen as symbols of waste and power. They are drawing the ire of locals and providing a focal point for anger and opposition to government. The outcome, if this is a serious proposal and not just jaw-boning, should be more buildings that are value-engineered with fewer, if any, icons - especially by flashy western architects.

From this morning.

IMG_7883.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7883.JPG
    IMG_7883.JPG
    366.5 KB · Views: 1,826
There is balcony glass on Victoria Street. They appear to be clear and transparent, though it doesn't quite look that way in the photos because of my camera angle. If that's the case, then the balconies will not hide the spandrel too well.

25542744445_8252bd9224_k.jpg

24916046263_a27857a694_k.jpg

I'm so excited to have an example of bad materiality in such a visible location to explain to people. That's really the only upside.

It's really hard being optimistic sometimes.

A photo dump for this dump:
IMG_1440-Edit.jpg

First two photos taken yesterday.
IMG_1441.jpg

Rest were taken today:
IMG_1443.jpg

"Take care of yourself. Don't look like this POS being built right next to us."
IMG_1444.jpg

More pink crap on the south:
IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

Dare I say this would be a good photo if something else was being built in the background.
IMG_1458.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1458.jpg
    IMG_1458.jpg
    972.9 KB · Views: 791
  • IMG_1456.jpg
    IMG_1456.jpg
    835.2 KB · Views: 791
  • IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    778.3 KB · Views: 795
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 775
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    836.6 KB · Views: 795
  • IMG_1440-Edit.jpg
    IMG_1440-Edit.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 810
  • IMG_1459.jpg
    IMG_1459.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 780
Somehow the pink hue doesn't irk me at all. It's that leaden grid of soul-sucking spandrel with pokey little windows that looks like a clogged furnace filter that does it in for me.

Back