Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

Woodbridge:

I don't think it has anything to do with tabloid journalism - photos of accidents and victims where commonplace in respectable papers - it is how you depict it that matters.

AoD

Woodbridge:

I don't think it has anything to do with tabloid journalism - photos of accidents and victims where commonplace in respectable papers - it is how you depict it that matters.

AoD

Fair enough, however most accidents that are photographed also happen in a public space not on private property like Union Station. Imagine a journalist passing by your home and jumping in the front door to photograph an incident within. Furthermore:

- We don't know the circumstance of how he got to Union Station. Was he passing through right when the incident happened and decided to photograph with his phone (it doesn't mention what he used to photograph the event). Or did he rush to the scene after hearing of the incident over police radio.
- It sounds like he was a bit antagonistic with the police and medical. The report said that officers asked him to step back and he said "no, I don't need to I'm media". No story should interfere with offering aid to injured people. I don't tourists would put themselves in the way of aid being offered and/or refuse to move out of the way
- While the Star didn't run the story per se. They did run the story of the arrest and reported the incident as secondary to the arrest. So in a way they still did report the story and posted the photo
- Sure the police may have overreacted but the reporter was far from an innocent co-operative party

Again I just thought that the Star had higher standards.

Again I just thought that the Star had higher standards.

I'm pretty sure every staff photographer at every paper would do the exact same thing. What to run is the editors decision and that's the first point where standards come in to play.

While at Union I noticed a new exit to the subway. I believe this opened up recently. I didn't notice it last week. It's where the leather goods store used to be. Interestingly, the pizza place beside it used to be a tunnel to the subway.

While at Union I noticed a new exit to the subway. I believe this opened up recently. I didn't notice it last week. It's where the leather goods store used to be. Interestingly, the pizza place beside it used to be a tunnel to the subway.

I think the old tunnel to the subway was actually through the space occupied by the leather goods store. It was just west of the doors between the GO concourse and the older concourse. That was a solid wall before the GO concourse was opened up. In fact the light fixture in the older concourse is still in the same spot as in the 1950s when the subway access opened. Somewhere I have a photo from 1955 showing the end of the corridor and the access to the subway. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I'm pretty sure every staff photographer at every paper would do the exact same thing. What to run is the editors decision and that's the first point where standards come in to play.

Would every staff photographer (or tourist) go stand in live traffic and get into a verbal and physical altercation?

http://peter-petersplaceblog.blogspot.ca/
According to this blog the photographer was standing on live/active tracks in the station.

Would every staff photographer (or tourist) go stand in live traffic and get into a verbal and physical altercation?

According to this blog the photographer was standing on live/active tracks in the station.

They will all assess the situation and take the action they believe is the most appropriate. I'm sure none would take the risks in the reductio ad absurdum scenarios you have created, but I'm sure there are some from every newspaper in Canada who would do what Mr. Consiglio did.

They will all assess the situation and take the action they believe is the most appropriate. I'm sure none would take the risks in the reductio ad absurdum scenarios you have created, but I'm sure there are some from every newspaper in Canada who would do what Mr. Consiglio did.

What scenario have I created??? I'm just repeating what has been reported in the press... The photographer stepped on to live rail tracks and got into an argument with people. Now I may be wrong but I thought the goal of a journalist was to be the silent witness to events as it happens and report on it, rather than become involved in and be the event...

I'm not saying that the police didn't over react however sometimes you are being picked on for taking a simple photo and sometimes you are being a douche. Sounds to me like this photographer was being a bit of a douche.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that the police over reacted however sometimes you are being picked on for taking a simple photo and sometimes you are being a douche. Sounds to me like this photographer was being a bit of a douche.
If he was standing on the tracks, then he should have been arrested. But surely it should have been about standing on the tracks, not whether or not he had got a permit. If one does get a permit, is one allowed to wander live tracks?

I think the old tunnel to the subway was actually through the space occupied by the leather goods store. It was just west of the doors between the GO concourse and the older concourse. That was a solid wall before the GO concourse was opened up. In fact the light fixture in the older concourse is still in the same spot as in the 1950s when the subway access opened. Somewhere I have a photo from 1955 showing the end of the corridor and the access to the subway. I'll see if I can dig it up.

If you found a pic that would be great (or if someone wants to snap a shot of the spot as it looks now), as I'm really struggling to imagine where this is. In my mind I see it as just to the east of where the old commuters bar was, but to the west of the McDonald's. Is that right?

He claims this on his blog, but he also admitted on another group that he was not actually at the scene, and is simply reporting on comments and rumours as he hears them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Union Station Passage to Subwya

If you found a pic that would be great (or if someone wants to snap a shot of the spot as it looks now), as I'm really struggling to imagine where this is. In my mind I see it as just to the east of where the old commuters bar was, but to the west of the McDonald's. Is that right?

You got it right. The location of the lights in the ceiling is the same and the detail on the wall next to the leather store match up.

Attachments

• NOV_7__1955.jpg
    NOV_7__1955.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 673
  • UnionStn_Concourse_OldPassageway.jpg
    UnionStn_Concourse_OldPassageway.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 685
Wow, thanks for taking the time to find and post the photos. It's really something to see how the station used to be laid out. Makes me want to take a trip to the archives to see what I can find.

Back