Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

I forget. Is the 2nd platform walled off, or will one of the trains open up doors on both sides. Which would be the train going to Finch.

These are images of the area just inside the doors seen at the bottom of the new stairs in the east moat leading to the escalators and stairs to the platform and will make getting from the subway to Union much easier, even if it isn't the final layout. Is this to be the entrance/exit for the northern most platform whereas the new second platform will have direct access to Union without having to go up first? The first picture is looking south towards the doors leading to Union and the second is looking west from the existing entrance to the subway. Pix taken 19 May 2013.

IMG_6375_1-L.jpg

IMG_6377_1-L.jpg

Last edited:
Is this to be the entrance/exit for the northern most platform whereas the new second platform will have direct access to Union without having to go up first?

Both north and south platforms will have the same direct access to Union without going up stairs from concourse level. During the TTC second platform project the PATH connection from Union station to RBC will move to the west end of the concourse level and the paid fare zone will be consolidated on the east side. This compares to the current setup where the PATH currently goes through the middle of the concourse splitting it into two paid fare zones, one which cannot directly access the stairs to the Waterfront LRT. During the TTC second platform project the steps up to Union are being relocated from indoors to the moat. Once the Union Station Revitalization project (the dig down) reaches its final phase those stairs to Union will be removed completely and people will walk straight into the new lower level mall within Union Station but that phase will not be reached until all pedestrian traffic has moved to GO Transit's new York Concourse allowing the dig down to occur in the Bay Concourse. I would expect that move to the York Concourse to occur late this year if a 2015 target is to be achieved.

Stairs were open this morning. Will certainly help the traffic flow which gets clogged up horribly at the current doors, especially on poor weather days.

That already looks like a better setup than what we had. Moving the stairs outside (even temporarily) means there isn't that choke point just inside the doors. And that set of stairs is much wider than those tiny little staircases in the older section so I would assume people can get through them more quickly.

One thing I am curious about tho is how easy it will be for people to get between the lower and upper concourses in Union once the dig-down is complete. I hope it isn't just going to be another point of congestion to deal with. When a GO train disembarks a full load of passengers who need to get from the platforms to the upper concourse to the lower concourse in order to reach the PATH connection will there be escalator and stair capacity to handle them all?

When a GO train disembarks a full load of passengers who need to get from the platforms to the upper concourse to the lower concourse in order to reach the PATH connection will there be escalator and stair capacity to handle them all?

There will be substantially more access to the concourse. From the TTC subway to the GO concourse there will be 3 up escalators, 3 down, and two sets of stairs. In addition there will be many other new access points to GO that with the covered moat, new PATH tunnel, new concourse, and new upper level concourse entrances to take some of that load off.

It looks like a rather cheap staircase made out of poured concrete--the most banal paving material. It doesn't seem appropriate for such a magnificent architectural landmark.

It looks like a rather cheap staircase made out of poured concrete--the most banal paving material. It doesn't seem appropriate for such a magnificent architectural landmark.

It's temporary. It's function over aesthetics.

EDIT: Oops, had the window open for a while and didn't refresh to see the reply above me. Sorry!

Thought I would post one from inside, just to show what it looks like from that angle.

WP_000818.jpg

Attachments

• WP_000818.jpg
    WP_000818.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 498
Quick photo tour shot Wed.

There is an accessibility ramp at the west end that takes you up to the moat area to get to Union Station. The new stairs to the street is close since it not completed yet.
[video=youtube_share;TL_hIIUndSg]http://youtu.be/TL_hIIUndSg[/video]

Back