Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

From last night. The photo doesn't do justice to the improvements.
Here I'm standing a little west of the middle of the main level of the Union Station TTC station looking slightly south-west.
The space is immensely open feeling, and almost column-free. The ceiling is a decent height - not too low. The stairs seen in the background are outside the station, in the moat, not inside like before. It is a continuous line of stairs without interruptions, except for handrails. Between myself and them is what looks like is shaping up to be a continual ribbon of doors.

It's a huge improvement - even only this much.

IMG_20130522_230509_zps510fe455.jpg

I don't recognize where those pics are. Are they part of the new West Concourse?

TTC Union Subway Station, concourse level, looking towards doors to stairs in the moat. This is behind where the west fare collection booth used to be for the subway.

Cellphone pics.

New Stairs in the moat, between Union Station's GO Concourse and the reworked Union Station TTC Subway stop. Wonderful, compared to what was there before.

IMG_20130603_181042_zpsdf60b592.jpg

IMG_20130603_181059_zpsb0c67936.jpg

IMG_20130603_181112_zps8acdce51.jpg

IMG_20130603_181132_zpsfd657365.jpg

IMG_20130603_181153_zps7d8de36b.jpg

IMG_20130603_181207_zps271802ab.jpg

Ye olde moate, in its current condition of disarray.
IMG_20130603_181347_zpsa693d810.jpg

IMG_20130603_181421_zps748a1d8a.jpg

IMG_20130603_181442_zps910321fe.jpg

IMG_20130603_181455_zps9c877b04.jpg

That's a silly distinction, especially in the era of citizen journalism. Metrolinx utterly overreacted and should apologize for it.

AoD

I passed through it about a week ago and it is fantastic. Amazing change from what it used to be. It's a shame they will eventually place doors at the threshold between the moat and the station area. The open air feeling makes the area feel bigger.

**EDIT**
Wrt to the photo issue. I have to say I find it a bit shocking that the Star is looking for the type of tabloid journalism that is associated with catching an image of an injured, or gasp deceased, victim. It's strange that they would equate patrons snapping 'fanboy/girl' 'tourism' photos with a journalist grabbing a photo of an injured transit employee. What next, listening in on TTC radio channels and running to grab images of the next subway jumper???

This is the type of journalism that I associate with the Sun, I thought the Star had higher standards...

Last edited:
Woodbridge:

Wait till they dig down the rest of the moat, get rid of the current temporary stairs and enclose the space - it's going to be amazing. I wish there are a bit more renderings of the TTC portion of the project - according to the plans, there will be some sort of "Rotunda" to the east.

AoD

Last edited:
Wrt to the photo issue. I have to say I find it a bit shocking that the Star is looking for the type of tabloid journalism that is associated with catching an image of an injured, or gasp deceased, victim. It's strange that they would equate patrons snapping 'fanboy/girl' 'tourism' photos with a journalist grabbing a photo of an injured transit employee. What next, listening in on TTC radio channels and running to grab images of the next subway jumper???
I don't believe the Star published anything with regards to the story itself, other than the arrest of the photographer. It's not like they were there to cover the story. They were passing through, and something happened. They'd be crazy not to take photographs, as you don't know what the story is until later.

Back