Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I suppose it is a good thing this was discovered!

Emergency Non-Competitive Contract with Century Group Incorporated for Construction Management Services at the East Wing of Union Station
Origin
(November 16, 2020) Report from the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management, and the Chief Procurement Officer, Purchasing and Materials Management​
Recommendations
The Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management, and the Chief Procurement Officer, Purchasing and Materials Management recommend that:

1. City Council receive this report for information.​
Summary
The purpose of the report is to inform the General Government and Licensing Committee regarding an emergency non-competitive contract that the City has entered into with Century Group Inc. under Purchase Order Number 6051271, to provide emergency structural remediation services at the East Wing of Union Station, in the amount of $2,968,877.09 net of Harmonized Sales Tax ($3,021,129.33 net of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries).

As a result of the demolition undertaken as part of the Workplace Modernization Program to create office swing space at Union Station, it was discovered that there were significant structural issues with the roof and exterior walls of the fourth floor of the East Wing of Union Station. Once discovered, the structural issues needed to be addressed immediately, as required by the Ontario Building Code, to prevent possible collapse, and to ensure the safety of all personnel on site. The structural issues could not have been found by any due diligence processes prior to construction, as only full demolition exposed the structural issues.

See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/gl/bgrd/backgroundfile-158541.pdf

The bigger question is how did nobody think of this before..

In April 2020, Century Group Inc. discovered substantial unforeseen structural issues with the roof and exterior walls of the fourth floor as a result of the demolition undertaken as part of the project. Specifically, the installation of the rooftop mechanical equipment over the years, combined with inferior design techniques, had left numerous inappropriate perforations throughout the roof of the East Wing. The perforations had corrupted the structural integrity of the roof and that of the exterior walls of the fourth floor. These perforations, combined with the aged state of the roof, immediately raised concerns of a potential collapse.

Is this lighting new or is it now darker before my bedtime. It looks great. Are they doing the rest of the building too.
5111B8E0-DC49-41AD-9769-9B50D02690C4.jpeg

Is this lighting new or is it now darker before my bedtime. It looks great. Are they doing the rest of the building too. View attachment 284967
It is new in the sense it has hardly been used! They were testing this (plus the up-lighting from the moats) about 2 years ago and I think there are photos pages and pages back in this thread (maybe by me?) but i must say I do not remember the top lights being so bright.

Last edited:
It is new i the sense it has hardly been used! They were testing this (plus the up-lighting from the moats) about 2 years ago and I think there are photos pages and pages back in this thread (maybe by me?) but i must say I do not remember the top lights being so bright.

They really seem too bright in that photo.

It looks like they will light the walls from the moats. This is exciting.
Yes, there are LED fixtures on top of all 3 moats and they were installed well over a year ago. There are also 'inset' lights at the bases of all the columns in the plaza and at both the east and west wing entrances. About this time last year they were testing those on the Front moats and those inset at the bases of the 'central plaza columns'; and the doors; all of them looked great and there are photos waaaay back on UT (probably this thread); I have not seen any testing of those on the York or Bay moats - these moats were not finished until more recently but seem to have all the lighting installed now. It WILL look fantastic and it's great to see they are back testing lighting.

I finally found the UT photo of the US 'parapet lighting' It's from January 2018!

There was also testing of the lights from the moat roofs but I do not find any photos.

It leads to a 'gallery' in the Backstage condos that is designed for exhibitions. Eventually the idea is tat the PATH will run to Market Street through the TPA garage though I am not sure that this has actually been 'planned'.
Where are plans for this posted?

Last edited:

Back