Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

IMG_0681.JPG

West moat looking south from Front St.

IMG_0682.JPG

West moat looking north towards Front St.

IMG_0683.JPG

West moat looking east towards new building entrance directly into York Concourse.

IMG_0685.JPG

West moat looking towards new University Ave entrance. In the future this will connect to the central moat and TTC Union.

IMG_0687.JPG

Inside new University Ave entrance. Not much to see yet, all opening are still hoarded.

Attachments

• IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 282
IMG_0688.JPG

New east entrance from West moat at York street. Past the Union Chicken is the York Concourse as well as new access (at right of image) to the food court below. Directly straight on where the stone walls are darker, is the original portion of Union below the Great Hall...I believe it's now called the "Front Street Promenade" basically where the original front street entrance that ramps up to street level.

On a side note, for those complaining about the state of the original ceilings....they do you bad, but they are plaster, which requires significantly more work to remediate than a simple coat of paint.

New portions looks good, the original portion feels very dark, additional lighting would have been a good idea. Hopefully once remediated, and new paint applied, it will be brighter.

IMG_0689.JPG

All the way to the east, at the end of the "Front Street Promenade" looking into the new east Bay Concourse.

IMG_0690.JPG

At the top of the stairs into the Bay Concourse, still a lot of work beyond the hoarding.

IMG_0691.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_0694.JPG

Central moat at TTC entrance, looking west towards the central moat still covered by hoarding.
Upper bridge at left of image feels much larger than it appears in the photos.

IMG_0695.JPG

Central moat at TTC entrance, looking east towards new staircase and entry door, as well as east moat.

IMG_0696.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG

Further east in moat at top of stair from previous image. Frames for new door installed. The original board formed concrete arches are stunning, happy to see they have been left exposed.

IMG_0698.JPG

Same area looking south-west.

IMG_0699.JPG

Slightly further east from previous image, looking south into East moat along Bay St.

A lot of stone finishing at grade and along walls, stairs etc still underway.

Successful Proponent Selected for the Union Station Enhancement Project
November 10, 2020
TORONTO –Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx (MX) have selected ONTrack Alliance as the successful proponent to work collaboratively to advance design of the Union Station Enhancement Project.
The ONTrack Alliance team includes:
  • Constructors: Kiewit & Alberici Joint Venture.
  • Designers: WSP Canada Inc.
  • Signalling Work: Mass. Electric Construction Canada Co.
The selection of ONTrack Alliance is the result of an open, fair and competitive procurement process overseen by a third-party fairness advisor.
IO and MX expect to reach financial close in Fall 2021.
Visit here to learn more about the project.

----------------
It takes a whole year to reach financial close?!

It takes a whole year to reach financial close?!

It is odd and hopefully not a sign of how the "Alliance Model" (replaces P3) will stall the start of projects; this is the first IO Alliance Model project IIRC. I'd like to assume it's the result of GO Expansion still undergoing design and this project relying on some of those details being finalized.

Compare to this DBF tender which selected the winning team on Nov 2nd and expects to reach financial close before January.

Last edited:
Walked by Union just now and :

1. They are building a temporary enclosure over the open side of the Bay St Moat cover. I assume so that the guys can work in a heated area. It looked to me as if they are planning for civilians to walk directly beside Union (where the floor is done) so that they can finish the section of floor tiling that runs on the east side. We shall see..

2. Walking along platform 3 it appears they are painting the outside of the (original) metal pedestrian pathway that crosses Bay Street. It has been covered for well over a year so ought to be done. The section, of 4 windows, nearest Union is still NOT done but it has yet to be covered up and is, I assume, next.

3. They have (finally) put back the last of the three (heritage) lights that are on the two ramps below the ramp leading to the VIA concourse. . Not sure I like the 'light temperature' they are using for the bulbs but ...

4. The new ceiling outside (at top of) the new stairs to/from Bay Concourse below the VIA ramp is done. Of course, it's not yet painted - presumably so it won't clash with the unpainted ceilings in that area.

The new Union Station Bus Terminal opens Saturday Dec 5th.

Last day for the old terminal, not surprisingly, is Dec 4th.

Key operational note: No platform is pre-assigned to any route, 1st come, 1st serve. As such those using buses will need to be reading the screen to see where to go!

Pictures from the BlogTo post linked above:

1605565535607.png

1605565555816.png

1605565572575.png

Last edited:
Existing GO bus terminal to be demolished in December 2020, Phase 2 to start early 2021, Phase 1 occupancy expected Q1 2021. COVID is pretty much irrelevant to this project - full steam ahead!

CIBC SQUARE COMMUNITY OPEN HOUSE – NOVEMBER 26

In early 2021, construction to support Phase II of CIBC SQUARE – 141 Bay Street – will begin, with demolition of the existing GO bus terminal expected to start in December 2020. Once complete, 141 Bay Street will add 1.5 million square feet of office space in a 50-storey premier class AAA office tower. The new building will be connected to Phase I of CIBC SQUARE – also known as 81 Bay Street – by an elevated park that bridges across the rail corridor connecting the Financial Core to the Southcore and Waterfront neighbourhoods.

We invite you to join a virtual open house to learn more about the next phase of construction at CIBC SQUARE on Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. Please submit your full name and e-mail address tocommunity@CIBCSQUARE.com to receive the invitation details.

We have also included a few commonly asked questions about what is upcoming below. We encourage you to submit any questions you have in advance of the event tocommunity@CIBCSQUARE.com to ensure we can address as many areas of interest as possible.

We look forward to virtually seeing many of you on November 26th.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: CIBC SQUARE PHASE II

What is being planned for Phase II construction at CIBC SQUARE?
141 Bay Street will add 1.5 million square feet of office space in a 50-storey premier office tower, anchored by incoming tenant CIBC. The new building will be connected to Phase I of CIBC SQUARE (81 Bay Street) by an elevated public park that bridges across the rail corridor. Planned public realm improvements as part of the 141 Bay development include two pedestrian bridges connecting across Bay Street directly into Union Station and across Yonge Street directly into Backstage Condominiums, as well as a fully renovated pedestrian laneway connecting Yonge Street and Bay Street.

When will construction start?
Demolition is expected to start in December 2020, with shoring & excavation planned for February 2021. Construction of the second half of the park, the new tower and podium are expected to be complete in Q4 2024.

Will there be overnight work?
Overnight work remains necessary for the construction of several elements of our project. As we are building in an active rail corridor, we are not allowed to have construction personnel or equipment on the rail corridor when the trains are running on the tracks. This means we are only permitted to work at night, when train traffic has slowed. When overnight construction is necessary, we are committed to completing the work as quickly as possible and keeping our neighbours informed. We are working closely with our contractor, EllisDon, to expedite this work, and to reduce as much as possible the impact of the noise for our neighbours.

How loud will construction be?
While any construction site poses noise challenges, there are unique challenges with a project this complex. Much of the early work involves deep drilling to ensure that the building has a strong foundation. We commit to working with our neighbours to keep you informed and where possible take steps with our contractors to limit noise. We will make every effort to give advance notice when overnight or noisy construction is required.

Is Phase I (81 Bay Street) complete?
Construction of 81 Bay Street is nearing completion, with tower occupancy expected for Q1 2021. The new Metrolinx GO bus terminal at 81 Bay is also expected to open in December 2020. The first half of the elevated park and the 81 Bay Street food hall are expected to be completed in late summer 2021.

How do I join the open house on November 26th?
To join the open house on November 26th, please submit your full name and e-mail address tocommunity@CIBCSQUARE.com and the invitation details will be sent to you. We encourage you to share any questions you have in advance to community@CIBCSQUARE.com so we may address as many areas of interest in the meeting as time will permit.

How do I stay informed about what’s upcoming?
We are working closely with our neighbours as we proceed with construction on this project, and we are committed to keeping the community informed. The best way to stay informed is to register to receive regular construction updates and notices atwww.CIBCSQUARE.com/community. You may also contact us at any time atcommunity@CIBCSQUARE.com with comments or questions.

I thought the buses at the Toronto Coach Terminal are also supposed to move here, I hope it's soon. That place is dead now with the coronavirus so it can be redeveloped.

I thought the buses at the Toronto Coach Terminal are also supposed to move here, I hope it's soon. That place is dead now with the coronavirus so it can be redeveloped.
They ARE moving but I assume they want to get the GO ones used to their new home before adding other companies to the mix. I do not think there are, to date, any firm plans for the Coach Terminal site but it is clearly in line for 'something'.

Back