Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I have a suspicion that those gate numerals are pretty close to the prototypes, and hence a heritage detail...

- Paul

View attachment 195186
Yes, the "collegiate" type recently installed is much more period-appropriate than the (possibly) Helvetica on the walls.
I guess the fact that they're still as white as printer paper is making me recoil. A few years of grime will make them look better, I'm sure. Great find @crs1026!

Yes, the "collegiate" type recently installed is much more period-appropriate than the (possibly) Helvetica on the walls.
Calling that Helvetica is sacrilege, I gotta say, Demons begone!, but yup, I like the heritage font there. I'm not looking for it everywhere, but it would be nice to find another use (or two) for it!

Not sure if anyone has posted this before:

Not particularly impressed by the potential of events affecting the circulation at the station.

AoD

Not sure if anyone has posted this before:

Not particularly impressed by the potential of events affecting the circulation at the station.

AoD

I highly doubt this is an actual, realistic thing. They have hosted events in the Great Hall like when they did Diana Krall there in 2004 but given how busy the station is now, I doubt they can find a legitimate excuse to do something like that again.

I cannot imagine how on earth anyone would do a VIP dinner or awards ceremony in the Great Hall for example. Closing any of the spaces mentioned in the article would only infuriate people and bring negative publicity.

Calling that Helvetica is sacrilege, I gotta say, Demons begone!, but yup, I like the heritage font there. I'm not looking for it everywhere, but it would be nice to find another use (or two) for it!

People are serious about fonts these days

The gate pillar for future platform 3 stairs has been removed
20190719_123936.jpg

The gate pillar for future platform 3 stairs has been removed
View attachment 195406

Given the state of the gate currently I am not surprised. It makes sense if they will open up access via the upper level of the ramp adjacent to the Great Hall.

There is also access to Platform 3 via the West Wing and the Bay Teamway so it may be that they are eliminating access through the VIA concourse.

Realistically, how many VIA trains arrive and depart from Platform 3 anyway?

^ Since the pillars need electrical and telecom connections, and there’s no outlet or hole for wiring visible on the drywall behind where it was removed from, I’m going to speculate that it has been removed temporarily to allow electricians access.... and maybe to also finish the doorway. In which case, it will be back.

- Paul

^ Since the pillars need electrical and telecom connections, and there’s no outlet or hole for wiring visible on the drywall behind where it was removed from, I’m going to speculate that it has been removed temporarily to allow electricians access.... and maybe to also finish the doorway. In which case, it will be back.

- Paul
Glass half full vs glass half empty. OR that it has been removed because this will not be a public door.

Glass half full vs glass half empty. OR that it has been removed because this will not be a public door.

IIRC prior to the renovations, this was not the preferred means to access Platform 3. Usually people boarded via the West Wing or the Bay Concourse. When the Niagara Trains first came into existence, they boarded via the west wing.

This entrance was next to the former security office in a weird corner of the VIA concourse. No doubt hundreds of people walked past the gate every hour not even knowing it was there.

Well, if the Gate 3 pillar is not going to be used after all, and is now surplus to project requirements, I wonder if it’s for sale......I want it for my front door ;-)

- Paul

I’ve seen these depictions before of the Great Hall. No sign of the main clock, departure boards or the Travellers’ Aid booth in those set-ups.
That may be because these are renderings of the lighting but we have had discussions here about the 'booth' and if I remember right the plan is to rebuild it (with a clock but without departure/arrival info) when they finish off work on the floor of the Great Hall.

Back