Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

The shops down in the Front St Promenade, especially the south side, need some of our custom. Go browse and see if there’s anything they might have that you want. This week I got well-priced flowers from Union Mercado, arancini and a buckwheat cake from the Biscotteria (not cheap but good) and maybe today is time for a build-your-own bowl at Calii Love...

While you’re there please keep an eye out for people with mobility issues who may be lost. This zone is going to need a good deal more temporary signs through to December.

Most folks are coming from VIA or the west Great Hall stairs looking for the subway and some are still dead set, earphones firmly affixed, on going through the Leather Shop Bypass and won’t brook any suggestion that need to alter course until stopping, then swiveling their heads in bewilderment.

For some reason a few people are even coming down the front ramps in search of the UP Express.

The door from the Food Court towards the VIA concourse was cracked open today.

IMG_5613.JPG

Why? It seems to have final flooring and lighting. Of course, it may not yet lead anywhere that's open but ....

I can see this opening as a bypass route. It would allow them to close the current access to Maple Leaf Square while maintaining access between the York Concourse and the VIA concourse. If they close the current half of the ramp from Maple Leaf Square and open the new one it would also allow for similar connections.

Eventually they will have to close the current access so this seems like a logical thing to open when they do.

Last edited:
Calling that Helvetica is sacrilege, I gotta say, Demons begone!, but yup, I like the heritage font there. I'm not looking for it everywhere, but it would be nice to find another use (or two) for it!

You're right. Upon closer inspection, it appears to be *gasp* Arial. Looking at the angle of the terminal on the "9" is the tell there. So (Helvetica-knockoff) Arial, which totally makes sense for temporary signage not likely created by an actual designer.

^ Since the pillars need electrical and telecom connections, and there’s no outlet or hole for wiring visible on the drywall behind where it was removed from, I’m going to speculate that it has been removed temporarily to allow electricians access.... and maybe to also finish the doorway. In which case, it will be back.

- Paul
Update: they've started tiling the blank drywall section (which was behind the pillar).

Update: they've started tiling the blank drywall section (which was behind the pillar).

It looks like they are closing that entrance to Platform 3 then. Methinks it was not AODA complaint and not easily converted into an entrance that could be.

Not entirely surprised.

It looks like they are closing that entrance to Platform 3 then. Methinks it was not AODA complaint and not easily converted into an entrance that could be.

Not entirely surprised.
hold your horses, the entrance itself is still boarded with plywood. They are just tiling the adjacent wall. It's hard to believe they went through all the trouble of creating a new entrance, fabricating a pillar for it AND sticking the number "3" on it, just to scrap the plan.

I can see this opening as a bypass route. It would allow them to close the current access to Maple Leaf Square while maintaining access between the York Concourse and the VIA concourse. If they close the current half of the ramp from Maple Leaf Square and open the new one it would also allow for similar connections.

Eventually they will have to close the current access so this seems like a logical thing to open when they do.
Yep, still having trouble envisioning how people will leave the VIA Concourse toward the south once they close the ramp down to Union Plaza/ScotiaArena. Will people be required to go through the York or Bay Concourses to the retail "market" area below VIA?

Yep, still having trouble envisioning how people will leave the VIA Concourse toward the south once they close the ramp down to Union Plaza/ScotiaArena. Will people be required to go through the York or Bay Concourses to the retail "market" area below VIA?

Once all is said and done I think they will need to go through the Bay Concourse to get out much like they did before when the Blue Route ran from the Bay Concourse into the arena.

Keep in mind that before the ramp to Union Plaza opened up you were forced to go through the arena to get to Bremner.

Is that so? I cannot recall when the ramp was opened.

Before 25 York and Tracks 26/27 opened up, the via concourse seemingly terminated at the Panorama lounge. There were corridors behind it but trying ti navigate them wasn't easy.

I believe the ramp may have actually existed come to think of it but it was never for pedestrian access at that point.

Smallspy, maybe you would remember better.

Before 25 York and Tracks 26/27 opened up, the via concourse seemingly terminated at the Panorama lounge. There were corridors behind it but trying ti navigate them wasn't easy.
Aye, the Panorama! I wonder if there are any pics online.

I had been trying to jog my memory with old diagrams but methinks I'm barking up a proverbial wrong tree...

old union.jpg

Back