Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Before 25 York and Tracks 26/27 opened up, the via concourse seemingly terminated at the Panorama lounge. There were corridors behind it but trying ti navigate them wasn't easy.

I believe the ramp may have actually existed come to think of it but it was never for pedestrian access at that point.

Smallspy, maybe you would remember better.

As far as I can recall, there was never any public access to the south of the station until the creation of Platforms 26 & 27. Certainly upon construction of the station and even with the 1980s trainshed expansion, there was nothing of any real draw south of the station to warrant an exit that way.

And yes, there was only Back Of House areas to the south of the old Panorama lounge. The TRHA had some storage in there before we needed to vacate when the construction started on Platforms 26 & 27.

That's Second Union Station?

AoD

'tis. (Although depending on who you ask, it is also sometimes referred to as the third Union Station, with the current as the fourth.)

Dan

As far as I can recall, there was never any public access to the south of the station until the creation of Platforms 26 & 27. Certainly upon construction of the station and even with the 1980s trainshed expansion, there was nothing of any real draw south of the station to warrant an exit that way.

And yes, there was only Back Of House areas to the south of the old Panorama lounge. The TRHA had some storage in there before we needed to vacate when the construction started on Platforms 26 & 27.

Makes sense, what I am thinking of in terms of back corridors was likely the access from Bremner to the arrivals area just before they got rid of the lounge.

When you entered the station from the back and took a right you would end up at the southernmost escalators in the arrivals area.

The access “To City” — to the Front Street Promenade — via the east side corridor of the VIA Concourse is now closed in favour of the west corridor. Users can now head to TTC by going past Baggage again.

Here’s a query to ponder: is there any longer a reason to refer to [the] area below the Great Hall in the Front St Promenade as the “Arrivals” area? What makes a section of the station worthy of that designation...?

Last edited:
There's new platform numbers signage on platforms 6/7. I'll try to get pics later today if no one else beats me.

The access “To City” — to the Front Street Promenade — via the east side corridor of the VIA Concourse is now closed in favour of the west corridor. Users can now head to TTC by going past Baggage again.

Here’s a query to ponder: is there any longer a reason to refer to [the] area below the Great Hall in the Front St Promenade as the “Arrivals” area? What makes a section of the station worthy of that designation...?

To be fair when I hear Front Street Promenade I think outside at street level.

It is mainly 'historic" as the taxis and entry to TTC were (and for TTC will be again) in that direction. VIA passengers do tend to get funneled that way too as they want to separate arriving passengers for the queues that form in the 'departure area"

Here’s that west corridor. Finished the flooring I guess?
873BE4D0-3808-4806-B6C8-7E822A2D933F.jpeg

If only they had cleaned the walls while they were at it...

And why do they insist on using orange tarps to cover doors and windows? If the view must be blocked, is a sheet of frosted window covering really so far out of our budget?

If only they had cleaned the walls while they were at it...

And why do they insist on using orange tarps to cover doors and windows? If the view must be blocked, is a sheet of frosted window covering really so far out of our budget?
They actually made great efforts to clean the stone (throughout Union Station) and in most areas it looks remarkably 'new' but in some cases it had absorbed ??? and it could not be cleaned more than you see. Don't forget the building is 90 years old.

To be fair when I hear Front Street Promenade I think outside at street level.
I don't feel very comfortable using it either, but "Arrivals" area seems more wrong every day. And "Directly beneath the Travellers' Aid booth" really only works if you're standing at the booth...
"York St Promenade"? Yuk. But I don't have better nomenclature.

If the view must be blocked, is a sheet of frosted window covering really so far out of our budget?
Do you know what is suddenly uncovered? The windows just north of the Baggage desk -- they show the conveyor belt down from the VIA ticket windows. Not sure I've ever seen what's behind those windows. Thing is, how many VIA trains per week accept bags for handling?

Thing is, how many VIA trains per week accept bags for handling?

Unlike stations like Brockville, Oshawa or Truro, Union Station is the busiest in the country. They need to be capable of accepting baggage even if they don't.

All it takes is one VIP or special occasion for baggage handling to become a concern.

Back