Attachments

• A1001780-EDCB-4DAF-A0AF-CC444ECDAA08.jpeg
    A1001780-EDCB-4DAF-A0AF-CC444ECDAA08.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 603
  • 24A07C32-7C57-4BBC-AF60-473DA206774C.jpeg
    24A07C32-7C57-4BBC-AF60-473DA206774C.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 646
Surely this was planned for...
If it wasn't, they'd best institute some contingency measures before there's a disaster. I'd think insurance alone would demand that and more, like a secondary drainage system pumped from a dedicated and self contained fuel pump room above the water line, or sealed from it. Who would offer flood insurance to those concessions unless the City does so itself?

I would imagine that mitigations have now been done -- installation of at least a couple of redundant flood pumps. To satisfy insurance. But they may be pumping into still-overflowable storm drains.

I'm pretty curious if flood pumping will keep up in the next ten years though. It's quite an important area to keep dry.

^ There's very real irony in that the Esplanade hosted one of Toronto's first trunk sewers, albeit referred to as "drains" back in the day:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=Bu...e&q=toronto esplanade agreement sewer&f=false

And elsewhere in that book, under the "Tripartite Esplanade Agreement" the cost of maintaining that 'drain' was to be shared by the two major railways of the time: The GTR and CPR who are both covered legally in being bound to pay taxes and costs of the "Esplanade Viaduct" under which the sewer ran.

The book is a fascinating look at what the railways were legally liable for then, and my contention, still to this day.

Great to see this open, it is part of the pale green section below - with red arrow. They appear to be working on the part east of the opened section (below the Plaza) which will, eventually give a more direct TTC link.

union.png

Attachments

• union.png
    union.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 672

Back