Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

This is the STEAM TUNNEL not the pedestrian one! I think they had a similar tender for the Bay equivalent a few months ago.

clear.gif
This is a secure site
bnr-constserv2.jpg

Tender
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Doc2833487158
Commodity:Construction Services, Facilities renovations
Description:Request for Tender for York West Teamway Structural Column Repairs, Union Station (CCA256-01)
Work under this contract includes concrete and steel repairs on six (6) cast-in-place concrete columns, as well as wall and soffit repairs within the B2 Steam Tunnel York West Teamway at Union Station to restore their structural capacity. The work area is located in the sub-basement of the complex with limited access; it may be considered a confined space. The Contractor will be responsible for compliance with all applicable health and safety requirements, while conducting work on site.
Issue date:March 31, 2021
ecblank.gif
Closing date:April 20, 2021
at 12:00 Noon

Just back from a (chilly) stroll to Union and I noticed the guys removing lots of bags of garbage and construction waste from Bay Concourse and they appeared to be washing the floors. Not sure it will open but it is clearly (nearly) ready to open.

Is there a complete retailer list for the Bay Concourse, other than the few we already knew about? I moved just up the street and Union Station looks like it'll be a frequent stop for me. Would love to see some sort of grocery store amongst the retail here. Very very little of that in this area.

I doubt there will be a 'real" grocery store and the best you can expect will be something like the Longos in Brookfield Place. That said, there are quite a few supermarkets not far from Union - the Metro on Front Street is a 10 minute walk, there is a Coppas on York Street plus a large Longos and the new Farm Boy on Bathurst and Front is not far either. The St Lawrence Market is a 15 minute walk from Union Union Station is hardly in a 'food desert".

Last edited:
I doubt there will be a 'real" grocery store and the best you can expect will be something like the Longos in Brookfield Place. That said, there are quite a few supermarkets not far from Union - the Metro on Front Street is a 10 minute walk, there is a Costas on York Street plus a large Longos and the new Farm Boy on Bathurst and Front is not far either. The St Lawrence Market is a 15 minute walk from Union Union Station is hardly in a 'food desert".

There's also the Coppa's just to the south as well.

It'll be another few years yet, but my understanding was that a supermarket would be part of 1 Yonge.

Metro Hall was possibly going to get one as well. Though I haven't heard anything about that lately.

In Union, my understanding was that there would be some grocery options, and that the LCBO would be returning as well.

Though I don't believe there was any intent to have a 'conventional' grocer.

They have now started to remove the 'shroud' over the bridge that crosses Bay Street (Platform 3). Though it certainly looks better without the rust stains it seems a pity they did not paint it in a more vibrant colour than ''builders' grey". They have now started to shroud the (smaller) section adjacent to Union Station (above the Bay Moat) and it will now presumably be getting its overhaul too.

This may be of interest, from above:

"By the first quarter of February 2021, all interior works including the Bay Concourse, Bay Retail, and the Front Street Promenade were completed and turned over to the City for the sale of the Bay Concourse to Metrolinx and turnover of retail spaces for interior fit-out to Osmington to open to the public as soon as possible. This phased turnover will lead to new areas of the station opening up as they are ready, which will contribute to improved pedestrian flow through the station and enjoyment of the commercial and retail amenities. Metrolinx and Osmington will ultimately determine exactly when these areas of the station open to the public. Based on typical construction schedules it is anticipated that Osmington will open the remaining retail units on a rolling basis throughout 2022 and that Metrolinx is expected to open the Bay Concourse to be available for public usage in late second quarter of 2021."

and

Update on the installation of a new security barrier system outside Union Station

Although separate from the U.S.R.P., work is underway to develop and implement a new barrier system around Union Station. The impacted areas house significant and complex sub-surface infrastructure and systems belonging to multiple entities. To ensure that the new barrier system integrates properly with existing infrastructure, the City is coordinating with relevant stakeholders to finalize the design and issue a construction tender by the end of the third quarter of 2021. The existing jersey barriers will remain in place until the new barrier system is complete, which is expected to occur by the end of 2022.

Back