Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

This may be of interest, from above:

"By the first quarter of February 2021, all interior works including the Bay Concourse, Bay Retail, and the Front Street Promenade were completed and turned over to the City for the sale of the Bay Concourse to Metrolinx and turnover of retail spaces for interior fit-out to Osmington to open to the public as soon as possible. This phased turnover will lead to new areas of the station opening up as they are ready, which will contribute to improved pedestrian flow through the station and enjoyment of the commercial and retail amenities. Metrolinx and Osmington will ultimately determine exactly when these areas of the station open to the public. Based on typical construction schedules it is anticipated that Osmington will open the remaining retail units on a rolling basis throughout 2022 and that Metrolinx is expected to open the Bay Concourse to be available for public usage in late second quarter of 2021."

and

Update on the installation of a new security barrier system outside Union Station

Although separate from the U.S.R.P., work is underway to develop and implement a new barrier system around Union Station. The impacted areas house significant and complex sub-surface infrastructure and systems belonging to multiple entities. To ensure that the new barrier system integrates properly with existing infrastructure, the City is coordinating with relevant stakeholders to finalize the design and issue a construction tender by the end of the third quarter of 2021. The existing jersey barriers will remain in place until the new barrier system is complete, which is expected to occur by the end of 2022.

Did you notice any reference to the lighting in the Great Hall?

That's one of those 'Cherries' on the Sundae I'm waiting for.

I assume the unpainted ceiling in the concourse is covered by 'deficiencies'.

Did you notice any reference to the lighting in the Great Hall?

That's one of those 'Cherries' on the Sundae I'm waiting for.

I assume the unpainted ceiling in the concourse is covered by 'deficiencies'.
I did not see info on Great Hall lighting but was assured by the heritage architects (several months ago) that it is still 'coming'.

Update on the installation of a new security barrier system outside Union Station

Although separate from the U.S.R.P., work is underway to develop and implement a new barrier system around Union Station. The impacted areas house significant and complex sub-surface infrastructure and systems belonging to multiple entities. To ensure that the new barrier system integrates properly with existing infrastructure, the City is coordinating with relevant stakeholders to finalize the design and issue a construction tender by the end of the third quarter of 2021. The existing jersey barriers will remain in place until the new barrier system is complete, which is expected to occur by the end of 2022.

Based on historical precedents of "complex sub-surface infrastructure and systems belonging to multiple entities", good luck with end of 2022.

AoD

Last edited:
Based on historical precedents of "complex sub-surface infrastructure and systems belonging to multiple entities", good luck with end of 2022.

AoD
In this case they OUGHT to know exactly what's there as that whole sidewalk on Front was dug up down to the slab above the 'caves" that run north of the Moats in 2014 or so. The problem they usually have is that they don't really know exactly what is where!

1618870846741.png

Could've fooled me!! 😅

At Union Station today and noticed that they have installed about 50% of the ceiling panels in the Bay Moat above the doors to the Bay Concourse. Also noticed new piles of granite floor slabs piled on Front Street @ Bay. They look like the tiles for either the Sir John A. Plaza or the moats so either they are going to fix the cracked tiles in the Plaza or there is more tiling needed somewhere.

This is a new entrance from the Arrivals and Departures that will eventually lead to the Fresh Market below the VIA Concourse
.View attachment 314564View attachment 314565
There have been pictures of this here for months, what would be news would be it opening! (That said, as reported several weeks ago, they have been doing floor cleaning in area at bottom of these stairs so MAYBE the opening is imminent??)

There have been pictures of this here for months, what would be news would be it opening!
Perhaps mixed in with other photos, but I've never realised they were doing that, so I probably didn't know what I was looking at!

I'm thrilled to see this - that really starts to connect the whole station together!

There have been pictures of this here for months, what would be news would be it opening! (That said, as reported several weeks ago, they have been doing floor cleaning in area at bottom of these stairs so MAYBE the opening is imminent??)

I probably missed those pictures, but thanks...I haven't been down in a while and walked by to see the hoarding removed.

Lots of new info here, not sure how much of this is new though

highlights:

the "south side" doors of the york concourse doors to 24-27 will be blocked for construction starting next week sometime

Which doors are theese? the corridor that connects to the Scotiabank arena or the one that connects to york street?

closing off station pathways to convert freight elevators of platform 20/21 to stairwells. Looks like that heritage report was complete from a few months back

specifically says platform 20/21 will be used in the future by both GO and VIA trains starting end of this year. Presumably when that southern concourse construction starts up and shuts down platforms 24-27
Is that going to be permanent though?

Wilson train storage yard and USRC are both a part of the USEP package

At Union Station today and noticed that they have installed about 50% of the ceiling panels in the Bay Moat above the doors to the Bay Concourse. Also noticed new piles of granite floor slabs piled on Front Street @ Bay. They look like the tiles for either the Sir John A. Plaza or the moats so either they are going to fix the cracked tiles in the Plaza or there is more tiling needed somewhere.
I was down at Union today and they seem to be using some of these new granite slabs/tiles to repair the Sir John A Plaza but there are clearly far too many new tiles for that so they are going to do something else too. What?

The ceiling panels above the Bay moat doors to the Bay Concourse are all in now too- looks good.

Back