Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Are there still plans to replace the sodium lights in the great hall? Tried searching through the thread but there are 500 pages and google didn’t pull up anything too specific re: lighting plans.
Yes, I asked the heritage consultants about that recently and it is "moving along". No date, AFIK

Are there still plans to replace the sodium lights in the great hall? Tried searching through the thread but there are 500 pages and google didn’t pull up anything too specific re: lighting plans.

By @Allandale25 from report cited by @DSC N pages ago in the same thread:

AoD

I was at Union today and they have now removed the 'construction fencing' that stuck out into the east end of the Great Hall at the doors to the Bay Concourse. The Concourse is clearly not ready to open in next few weeks but it IS looking 'almost done" to me.-

I was at Union today and they have now removed the 'construction fencing' that stuck out into the east end of the Great Hall at the doors to the Bay Concourse. The Concourse is clearly not ready to open in next few weeks but it IS looking 'almost done" to me.-
I thought they said the Bay Concourse is suppose to open in September 2020. How can it open in the next few weeks?

I thought they said the Bay Concourse is suppose to open in September 2020. How can it open in the next few weeks?
I've read on here it was supposed to open in late April. The next big service update is also supposed to be in April.

They could open the Bay Retail level first and then open the Bay Concourse later. Kind of like what they did with the York Concourse only in reverse (i.e. York Concourse opened first, then York Retail level).

Anybody heard of the plans to replace the concrete jersey barriers with permanent barriers like seating and plants? This is just embarrassing.

img_3585-001.jpg

Photo: Sean Marshall

The last time I got a response from the city, they planned to have new barriers up by the end of the year. It's almost December. Where are they?

Anybody heard of the plans to replace the concrete jersey barriers with permanent barriers like seating and plants? This is just embarrassing.

img_3585-001.jpg

Photo: Sean Marshall

The last time I got a response from the city, they planned to have new barriers up by the end of the year. It's almost December. Where are they?
I was told 'a month or so" last spring! It is truly ridiculous that the City have not found alternatives as one assumes some of them have visited other Cities who have felt the need to erect barriers at major buildings. One could use stainless steel posts, planters, pots etc etc. It is all too typical of Toronto to create something pretty good (Union Station, Berczy Park etc etc ) and f*** it up with jersey barriers or ugly plastic waste bins.

It is all too typical of Toronto to create something pretty good (Union Station, Berczy Park etc etc ) and f*** it up with jersey barriers or ugly plastic waste bins.

I wish I could disagree. The shortsighted approach to anything here is kind of sad. Anything worth doing is worth doing right in my opinion but ultimately every project goes through the usual cheapening before finished here in Toronto.

I would argue that Toronto is just starting to learn how to do things "well", and is going through some growing pains with it. 10 years ago we would never have seen something like the Union Station Plaza or Berczy Park built, but now it's becoming much more commonplace. Other aspects of the city are still playing catch up. Maybe in 10 years we will know how to build great places but also maintain them..

I would argue that Toronto is just starting to learn how to do things "well", and is going through some growing pains with it. 10 years ago we would never have seen something like the Union Station Plaza or Berczy Park built, but now it's becoming much more commonplace. Other aspects of the city are still playing catch up. Maybe in 10 years we will know how to build great places but also maintain them..

This has nothing to do with doing things well or not - this is a case of no one taking ownership of the situation and having the ball dropped completely. Anyone with eyes can see the FUBAR that is this intersection - if they are so dense as to not know the situation on the ground (which is BS considering the prominence of the site, the intensity of usage, etc - but let's entertain that for one sec), they should find something less challenging to do.

AoD

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC
I would argue these temporary jersey barriers are doing more harm than good, at least the way they're currently positioned.

They cause congestion at the street corners, slow down pedestrian crossings, and cause people to be standing in the road for longer periods of time. I also see people walking in the road, in live lanes of traffic, to avoid the barriers and crowd.

Anyway, here's the Bay Concourse...

20191129_103510.jpg

I would argue these temporary jersey barriers are doing more harm than good, at least the way they're currently positioned.

They cause congestion at the street corners, slow down pedestrian crossings, and cause people to be standing in the road for longer periods of times. I also see people walking in the road, in live lanes of traffic, to avoid the barriers and crowd.

Exactly. The barriers also encourage people to occupy that area of the space immediately around it and worsening congestion as well - and recently it's being colonized by street people (not necessarily "homeless" per se - e.g. that "superstar" guy) and made the space situation even more critical. Oh lord those canvassers right before the intersection, etc.

AoD

Last edited:

Back