Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Anybody heard of the plans to replace the concrete jersey barriers with permanent barriers like seating and plants? This is just embarrassing.

img_3585-001.jpg

Photo: Sean Marshall

The last time I got a response from the city, they planned to have new barriers up by the end of the year. It's almost December. Where are they?

Did they specify which year?

I would argue these temporary jersey barriers are doing more harm than good, at least the way they're currently positioned.

They cause congestion at the street corners, slow down pedestrian crossings, and cause people to be standing in the road for longer periods of time. I also see people walking in the road, in live lanes of traffic, to avoid the barriers and crowd.

Anyway, here's the Bay Concourse...

View attachment 217632

Wow! Delicious!

Brad Ross gave me an update. The city is waiting to do something “after all the interior construction is complete’. Great. Knowing the bureaucracy and idiotic path it takes to move things from idea to completion, I bet they’ll only start planning it after the station is done some time in the future, taking a few more years after that to actually install it. What a F’n embarrassment this has turned out to be. ?

Brad Ross gave me an update. The city is waiting to do something “after all the interior construction is complete’. Great. Knowing the bureaucracy and idiotic path it takes to move things from idea to completion, I bet they’ll only start planning it after the station is done some time in the future, taking a few more years after that to actually install it. What a F’n embarrassment this has turned out to be. ?

Thanks for the update. WTF does it have to do with the interior construction in the first place for that timing to matter?

AoD

Thanks for the update. WTF does it have to do with the interior construction in the first place for that timing to matter?

AoD
That is the MOST stupid response I have ever heard. If the excuse was that they were waiting for the LONG promised evaluation of traffic taxi stands, ,parking, TTC stops etc around Union it MIGHT make sense but .... I am writing to the Mayor (mayor@toronto.ca)

That is the MOST stupid response I have ever heard. If the excuse was that they were waiting for the LONG promised evaluation of traffic taxi stands, ,parking, TTC stops etc around Union it MIGHT make sense but .... I am writing to the Mayor (mayor@toronto.ca)

Get on Brad on Twitter. If the city's spokesperson feels heat from citizens, he's very effective at moving things up the chain to the city to prevent PR problems down the road. He's very responsive.

Get on Brad on Twitter. If the city's spokesperson feels heat from citizens, he's very effective at moving things up the chain to the city to prevent PR problems down the road. He's very responsive.

It's pretty disturbing actually - there is still no timeline after an entire year. Which meant basically that nothing has been done on this file at all despite assurances to the contrary. I am really not that interested in some mollifying PR speak - Who dropped the ball?

AoD

It's pretty disturbing actually - there is still no timeline after an entire year. Which meant basically that nothing has been done on this file at all despite assurances to the contrary. I am really not that interested in some mollifying PR speak - Who dropped the ball?

AoD

Brad isn't just PR. He gets ahead of mounting problems that he knows will give him a headache down the line and gets them sorted out before it gets to that point. When he was at the TTC, I saw him get stuff sorted out just as a potential PR problem started building. Twitter is a good canary in the coal mine for public discontent and he uses it well.

Instead of these Jersey Barriers, why cant Front street from Yonge to York become car free during Rush Hour?
Because it's rush hour? Much as I would like to see Front being a pedestrian zone I can see that vehicles do need to go somewhere and there are LOTS off them on Front most of the time. As King is not a good alternative I really think we need to accept it will NOT be converted to pedestrian use but it certainly could be improved for everyone with some parking enforcement and minor design tweaks! (And, of course, better barriers plus a TTC stop actually AT the station!)

If this is really tied to the completion of union station, then I see a correlation between the completion of union station continually getting pushed off into the future, and the city repeatedly failing to deliver on the improvements they promised.

Anyway, big kudos to you for exposing this.

So the only reason this isn't being done immediately is that the city is too cheap to pay for someone to do the construction? Wow.

If anyone from the media is paying attention, there is a news story to be written here.

At this point I would happily volunteer (with some help from a few strong men) to move these barriers myself and chuck them into Lake Ontario. I'm done with this.

I would argue these temporary jersey barriers are doing more harm than good, at least the way they're currently positioned.

They cause congestion at the street corners, slow down pedestrian crossings, and cause people to be standing in the road for longer periods of time. I also see people walking in the road, in live lanes of traffic, to avoid the barriers and crowd.

Anyway, here's the Bay Concourse...

View attachment 217632
Isn't it the east wing?

Back