Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Some places are like that. It is part of an ongoing trend. It is cheaper to process the transaction than it is to process cash and you dont have any currency on site.
Several cities in the USA have made it illegal to refuse cash, on the assumption that poorer folks without credit/debit cards, bank accounts or smart phones are excluded.

Several cities in the USA have made it illegal to refuse cash, on the assumption that poorer folks without credit/debit cards, bank accounts or smart phones are excluded.

Tend to agree with that - so long as cash exists there isn't a rationale for not accepting cash as payment* in the retail setting.

*within reason

AoD

Tend to agree with that - so long as cash exists there isn't a rationale for not accepting cash as payment* in the retail setting.

*within reason

AoD

Cash is king. I see no reason for a vendor to not accept cash.

My GF thinks I'm odd for carrying some cash around in my wallet, that is until we reach a place that does not accept Credit/Debit (ribfests, etc) and suddenly it's "hey you got any money on you?" LMAO

My GF thinks I'm odd for carrying some cash around in my wallet, that is until we reach a place that does not accept Credit/Debit (ribfests, etc) and suddenly it's "hey you got any money on you?" LMAO

I carry cash everywhere. I find it awkward to buy a coffee at tims for 1.50 on debit though with the ability to tap it is not so bad

Security. Risk of theft. You have to deal with the cash on the premises, count it, balance it, take it to the bank. I owned a retail store for years; once credit/debit became more popular, our end-of-day procedures were greatly simplified.

I wouldn't say cash is king, but I carry it for safety purposes as a just in case.

Actually I think your GF is smart. ;)

AoD

Same for me. I take out $100 about once every 3 months and use it for situations where it's simply easier - splitting something with friends, places that are only cash only, small purchases from convenience stores that often charge fees for credit purchases under a certain amount, etc. About 99% of purchases I make are by credit, but there is still that 1% or so that doesn't make sense to do so.

I carry cash everywhere. I find it awkward to buy a coffee at tims for 1.50 on debit though with the ability to tap it is not so bad
Hah. I have bought stuff less than $3 on debit as early as 1994 elsewhere. It took forever before Tim's finally accepted Interac.

Last edited:
Security. Risk of theft. You have to deal with the cash on the premises, count it, balance it, take it to the bank. I owned a retail store for years; once credit/debit became more popular, our end-of-day procedures were greatly simplified.

Millennial staff find it difficult counting the cash drawer??? LOL :p

On the way into work this morning I noticed that the east side of Union off of the Grand Hall was opened up... looked pretty complete from a quick glance through the fencing. Sorry couldn't grab a pic.

Last edited:
On the way into work this morning I noticed that the east side of Union off of the Grand Hall was opened up... looked pretty complete from a quick glance through the fencing. Sorry couldn't grab a pic.

Saw that yesterday as well. Major work seems mostly complete. It appears, hopefully, that it's just the flooring and finishes left. But with Metrolinx at the helm that may take longer than expected

And I apologize for the brief tangent in the discussion yesterday :p

Bay St moat cover

20191122_122114.jpg
20191122_122120.jpg

Back