Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Apart from the start of erection of the Bay Street moat metal cover support pillars, noted above by @raptor I noticed a few other things changing @ Union when there today

1. They have pretty well sealed both east and west Front Street moats so that they are now both heated, as is the 'tunnel'.
2. They have started to install the new granite tile flooring in the east Front moat - working outwards from the Bay concourse towards the TTC entrances - the floors seem complete inside the Bay concourse.
3. In the east Front moat they have switched the eastbound exit from north to south and the south one has its granite flooring.
4. They continue to work on the York Street moat floors and have just about finished the area below the cover. I will not be surprised if they leave the totally outside section floor until Spring 2020 and move the workers on to do the east Front moat floor - as that moat is heated.
5. At the top of the ramp going to the VIA concourse on the west side they are doing something with the strange little 'passage that leads off it. and apparently leads to a staircase going down.
6. Below the main VIA ramp from the Great Hall they have still not re-opened the east side passageway that leads to the VIA concourse - though no visible work has gone on there for months. The matching west side passageway is open.
7. As noted above by someone, the view from the Great Hall leading into the 'upper level' of the Bay Concourse shows that it is almost complete, looks like it just needs ceiling tiles.

5. At the top of the ramp going to the VIA concourse on the west side they are doing something with the strange little 'passage that leads off it. and apparently leads to a staircase going down.

I would not be surprised if this was access to Track One as it was originally designed to be

Reactions: DSC
1574696339640.png

I would not be surprised if this was access to Track One as it was originally designed to be
I could help if you could be more specific?
Apart from the start of erection of the Bay Street moat metal cover support pillars, noted above by @raptor I noticed a few other things changing @ Union when there today

6. Below the main VIA ramp from the Great Hall they have still not re-opened the east side passageway that leads to the VIA concourse - though no visible work has gone on there for months. The matching west side passageway is open.

5. Are you referring to the little alcoves to the East and West at the Top of the Ramp? If you can be more specific, I may be able to help.
6. Stairwell to Platform 3, Track 1. Remediation of the stairwell and access to the Bay Concourse in conjunction.

Platform 3 a.k.a Track 1 was the boarding area for the most prestigious trains run in and out of the station. The Turbo, Supercontinental, Canadian all stopped there at some point.

The little alcoves on either side of the departures ramp used to have direct access to Platform 3 in the 60s and 70s much like the West Wing does now.

5. Are you referring to the little alcoves to the East and West at the Top of the Ramp? If you can be more specific, I may be able to help. YES, the two 'passageways that run off the top of the ramp from Great Hall to VIA Concourse at top of ramp.
6. Stairwell to Platform 3, Track 1. Remediation of the stairwell and access to the Bay Concourse in conjunction.

These alcoves. They used to connect to Track 1/Platform 3

View attachment 217070View attachment 217071

Ok. Gotcha. I originally thought the next set of Alcoves that lead into the offices of VIA. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, they are working on the access/egress for Platform 3, Track 1. They are a few minor issues that need to be resolved through Heritage , hence the long wait for those to be opened up.

Security. Risk of theft. You have to deal with the cash on the premises, count it, balance it, take it to the bank. I owned a retail store for years; once credit/debit became more popular, our end-of-day procedures were greatly simplified.
Yeah, I worked cash in retail for years and debit/credit made closing so much easier. Not to mention that we often began closing registers with customers still in the store; much nicer having a stack of receipts instead of a wad of bills in an envelope.

• Sad
Reactions: DSC
Well it’s been one year since the food court opened and it will be ally longer until the rest of the retail level opens

Are there still plans to replace the sodium lights in the great hall? Tried searching through the thread but there are 500 pages and google didn’t pull up anything too specific re: lighting plans.

Back