Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Good advice, I always forget that we the taxpayer have a right to view these. I hope that a FOIA won't be necessary here. The TTC's Ian Dickson volunteered to supply these documents, I simply failed to follow up until now. I will let you know what he says!
So far, I haven't felt the need to do FOIA, but obtaining the TTC wayfinding manuals and comparing it to London's would be a very educational case study.

It's good they promised to give you this information for educational research. Reluctance to release this may show that they not wanting to release deficiencies, or that they're ashamed to release an outdated manual. Forcing TTC to pull this information can very well generate internal discussions of improvement. I cannot see any security issues releasing an old wayfinding manual, unless there's some secret bunkers in TTC's network (ha!).

Nice graphic. Is the Bay South concourse, in fact, closed? My understanding is it will remain open, providing access to platforms 24-27.
Nope. Platform 24-27 are accessible and will remain accessible. Also, all GO platforms are now accessible in the Bay West teamway, too. A minor tweak to the graphic will be needed.

[...] obtaining the TTC wayfinding manuals and comparing it to London's would be a very educational case study. [...] Forcing TTC to pull this information can very well generate internal discussions of improvement.
I agree here. From what I can recall when I was speaking with Ian he told me that the TTC's wayfinding manual is being overhauled. He said they had recently completed a new system wide map and their attention was now going to focus on wayfinding.

Nope. Platform 24-27 are accessible and will remain accessible. Also, all GO platforms are now accessible in the Bay West teamway, too. A minor tweak to the graphic will be needed.
I will have to poke around the Bay South Concourse and the Blue Route to see exactly what remains open now that the Bay Concourse proper is closed. I will update the graphic accordingly. :)

Panorama pictures of closed Bay Concourse, August 18th, 2015:

IMG_20150818_055021 - IMG_20150818_055038.jpg

Looking south from the entrance beside Purdys.

IMG_20150818_054525 - IMG_20150818_054935.jpg

Looking south from the wooden ramp.

Attachments

• IMG_20150818_055021 - IMG_20150818_055038.jpg
    IMG_20150818_055021 - IMG_20150818_055038.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 881
  • IMG_20150818_054525 - IMG_20150818_054935.jpg
    IMG_20150818_054525 - IMG_20150818_054935.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 826
The TTC wayfinding manual has been online for a while actually. I actually saw your tweet to @ttcdesign from a while back; I'm surprised they haven't sent it to you.

I found it here: http://joeclark.org/design/signage/TTC/ but I've rehosted it on my Dropbox in case it gets pulled.

Thanks. Just taking a quick browse through it is seem less "vigorous" than the TfL one (which is exhaustive). The TTC manual is half filled with sample logographics and less focused on positioning of signage, instances of appropriate/inappropriate usage, hierarchy of information, etc.

AoD

Last edited:
The intersection of Bay and Front really needs a scramble crossing. Pedestrian movements thorough that intersection easily outnumbers vehciles.

Is there a reason it hasn't been done here? I'd be shocked if the City hasnt considered it.

The intersection of Bay and Front really needs a scramble crossing. Pedestrian movements thorough that intersection easily outnumbers vehciles.

Is there a reason it hasn't been done here? I'd be shocked if the City hasnt considered it.
This is a good idea, you should suggest this to the City.

A good place to start would be the office of Stephen Buckley, General Manager of Toronto Transportation Services. I have spoken with his office in regards to keeping the HOV lanes on the city owned highways, they were extremely helpful and just willing to chat. (Regarding HOV: They told me that during PanAm the City was definitely studying travel times and the related benefits to GO bus services; but alas; the final decision would come to a vote by our political masters.)

Toronto Transportation Services
Toronto City Hall
24th fl. E., 100 Queen St. W.
Toronto ON M5H 2N2

Facsimile.......................................................392-4455
General Manager, Stephen Buckley....................................392-8431

https://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Tor...les/PDF/Divisions/transportation_services.pdf

Thanks. Just taking a quick browse through it is seem less "vigorous" than the TfL one (which is exhaustive). The TTC manual is half filled with sample logographics and less focused on positioning of signage, instances of appropriate/inappropriate usage, hierarchy of information, etc.

AoD

Entirely correct, all samples and pictograms. The only part of particular interest is "Chapter 3 -- Planning Principals" (pages 71 to 82). This discusses the TTC's methodology for planning routes, signages, and wayfinding. If you ask me this chapter is not nearly substantial enough.

Does it have anything to do with the fact that 3 of the 4 corners are connected underground and because of that pedestrians have reasonably unfettered ability to cross at any time?

Does it have anything to do with the fact that 3 of the 4 corners are connected underground and because of that pedestrians have reasonably unfettered ability to cross at any time?

I doubt that. Recall that the Yonge/Dundas intersection also has three of its four sides connected underground as well.

There's relatively little car traffic at this intersection. A scramble, at least during rush hour, should have merit.

The Blue Route is that south exit from the Bay concourse that leads (or led) directly to the ACC. The south part was painted blue as part of the ACC sports theme.

Noooo :( I am gonna write them. It's ridiculous that there isn't one downtown.
So they wrote me back:

We hope to re-open in Union Station once the Bay concourse renovations are complete. The Eaton Centre isn’t an option for us at this time as they have other bakery type establishments there already that have exclusivity clauses in their leases which doesn’t allow for any other bakery type stores.​

Back