Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Frankly, anyone can see clearly how different the new Bay concourse will be and how much work is involved by simply going and looking at the new York concourse. If you knew (and even loved) the old Bay concourse your mind might be changed by looking at what it will look like in 2017. It's like moving from the 1930s to the 21st century - if Cinnabon comes back it will still smell like the old version but certainly look FAR better and be FAR more functional!.

if Cinnabon comes back it will still smell like the old version but certainly look FAR better and be FAR more functional!.

And everyone knows that you HAVE to have Cinnabon! 880 calories, 36 grams of fat and 59 grams of sugar in every Cinnabon.

Actually I just solved the Yonge capacity issues AND the future extension. Give everyone a Cinnabon and make them walk off the calories. You have to get past Steeles before you burn off these calories...you need 4 hours of walking! But don't worry...its still unhealthy...you will be the same weight but you can keep the diabetes)

....I'm proud to say I've never had one. The city bans bottled water but keeps this chain in a city-owned facility? Crazy. (not saying which one is but the contrast)

And everyone knows that you HAVE to have Cinnabon! 880 calories, 36 grams of fat and 59 grams of sugar in every Cinnabon.

Actually I just solved the Yonge capacity issues AND the future extension. Give everyone a Cinnabon and make them walk off the calories. You have to get past Steeles before you burn off these calories...you need 4 hours of walking! But don't worry...its still unhealthy...you will be the same weight but you can keep the diabetes)

....I'm proud to say I've never had one. The city bans bottled water but keeps this chain in a city-owned facility? Crazy. (not saying which one is but the contrast)
They're well worth the 880 calories, and when you bike 150km+/week like I do, some extra calories are no big deal.

On top of being 5, the columns where out of alignment to the point columns had to increase in size so they would align up in a straight row. Also, some of the footing had to be rebuilt as they where in poor shape.

More goes behind the scene that the public never sees in the first place.
My visit Oct 12, 2012
https://www.flickr.com/photos/drum118/8432852755/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/drum118/8433952112/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/drum118/8433949004/

Thank you for the link. Amazing pictures!

I especially like this one, https://www.flickr.com/photos/drum118/8433899528/in/photostream/. Am I looking at the underside of the Blue Route (PATH to ACC)? If so, super cool, this does a really good job illustrating just how close this construction is to daily life at Union. Literally this cavernous worlds is just a sheet of plywood away.

PS. Your knowledge-of and access-to developments in Toronto is impressive! Are you a wizard?

The situation is still manageable - however, I have noticed a steady increase in traffic through the Bay North Diversion between monday and today. Its going to get worse in September, and its *really* going to get worse when the weather starts turning and people prefer an underground PATH walk.

Hopefully, they will finish that moat construction before that starts.

It's definitely not as bad as I thought it would be, but the traffic through the North diversion is pretty heavy. Like you said, the winter is going to make it worse.

Frankly, anyone can see clearly how different the new Bay concourse will be and how much work is involved by simply going and looking at the new York concourse. If you knew (and even loved) the old Bay concourse your mind might be changed by looking at what it will look like in 2017. It's like moving from the 1930s to the 21st century - if Cinnabon comes back it will still smell like the old version but certainly look FAR better and be FAR more functional!.

I'm surprised Cinnabon won't be back until the Bay concourse reopens. But I guess it's more of a prime location.

McDonald's is however opening in York, but they're much bigger and I can see them having a store in each concourse even when Bay opens.

Wow, who let the fun police in?

... [It's] *really* going to get worse when the weather starts turning and people prefer an underground PATH walk.

Hopefully, they will finish that moat construction before that starts.

The moat will help get more people *to* the TTC/PATH entrance, but the must-be-under-cover-at-all-times crowd will still be faced with just two doors that have covering from the station proper. Otherwise, down the stairs you go.

By the way, if the full moat opened today are there any doorways from the York Concourse that would allow you to walk to the centre moat beneath overhangs or roofs? Or is there a gap awaiting the eventual glass roof construction?

Some days I do get obsessed with finding the least exposed-to-the-elements route, during heavy rain of course, and in very cold conditions.

I'm surprised Cinnabon won't be back until the Bay concourse reopens. But I guess it's more of a prime location.
I wouldn't be surprised if existing retailers were all given the choice to either move to York, or to have a claim on a spot in Bay when it's finished.
York allows you to move and keep your business running in short order, but Bay will always be a more prime location, thanks to the location of the subway entrance, which will be offloading people straight into the Bay Mall. If you're able to sit out the closure, then keeping your store in Bay is the better choice.

The lack of enough Presto tap-on machines, and platform display screens, in the Bay West Teamway has been creating huge bottlenecks. Serious issue. Lots of complaints to GO on twitter, and they've been saying that they're working as fast as they can to install more.

Just today, however, I was browsing through their tweets and saw they have changed their response to say "Adding more [Presto tap-on] machines may not be possible at Bay [West Teamway]". Is it honestly physically impossible to put any more in? Incredible.

The lack of enough Presto tap-on machines, and platform display screens, in the Bay West Teamway has been creating huge bottlenecks. Serious issue. Lots of complaints to GO on twitter, and they've been saying that they're working as fast as they can to install more.
Just today, however, I was browsing through their tweets and saw they have changed their response to say "Adding more [Presto tap-on] machines may not be possible at Bay [West Teamway]". Is it honestly physically impossible to put any more in? Incredible.

GO TransitVerified account‏@GOtransit
@NicoleHabeeb Hi Nicole.Adding more machines may not be possible at Bay. We are looking at all ways to improve commute for next 2 yrs.^LH​

Hogwash!
That statement by GO is false, and does not acknowledge a related serious safety issue.

All a Presto machine needs is a connection (Ethernet) and power (electricity).

If there's no more Ethernet cables, then simply add an Ethernet switch + wire ethernet cables in the open bleachers.

Have power/Ethernet cables drop vertically directly into temporary Presto machines mounted on heavy blocks. No permanent modification to teamways necessary.

It is indirectly really creating a serious safety issue. I know many people are overloading the York concourse because they are avoiding Bay teamways because of of lack of Presto tap machines in the Bay teamways. Look at how overcrowded the York platforms are, and how empty the GO coaches in the middle of the GOtrains are -- and less crowding on the Bay end of the train. The loading GO trains are currently very seriously unbalanced and someone could get killed from the platform overcrowding.

Wayfinding needs to rebalance the number of people in the Bay teamways versus the number of people in York concourse. It is exceedingly critical to make sure that people flow is reasonably balanced.

Metrolinx needs to find a way to FIX this safety issue. The tweet by @GOTransit is completely false, as that said tweet is not made by an experienced computer professional. There is already existing electricity and existing Ethernet cables in the Bay West teamway. So there is already infrastructure to add more machines! You just hook into this. (Use an Ethernet switch if there's not enough Ethernet cables; and yes; there's freezeproof weatherproof Ethernet switches -- an Ethernet switch is like a "power bar" for Ethernet cables -- it multiple the number of Ethernet connections available, allowing for MORE Presto machines). Dangle temporary power/Ethernet cables (inside metal shield) directly down to temporary presto machines sitting on movable concreate blocks. Make sure everything is up to code. Done.

Not enough machines? Hogwash -- there's existing Presto machines inside the Bay concourse. USE THEM! No additional machines need to be manufactured.

Sincerely
IT Software Developer -- with network infrastructure experience -- who might know more a bit about this than some GO employees...

Cc: GO Safety Officer BIll Grodzinski (who follows me on Twitter)
https://twitter.com/GOgrodzinski301
(I've contacted him by both Twitter and Email.)

Last edited:

Back