Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

This morning was surprisingly not too bad. Traffic is still light due to typical august vacation season, so we'll see how it goes in september. I still wish there was a connection from York concourse to the PATH - there's still literally no reason for most people to head that far west in union station.
The infinite improbability drive has arrived!

It wasn't as bad as I feared probably because Monday mornings are almost 100% seasoned commuters, who already knew about the Bay closure. Unlike weekend commuters and stadium/Ex commuters (Blue Jays...) who are pressing the PANIC button. As a morning teamway commuter, I never noticed the Bay Closure. The next big test will be the evening commute.

"I would like to point out that taxpayers have been gouged by having this final spike made of Gold, and we must launch a review of the railroad's spending immediately!"

Actually, a gold spike was used for the ceremony in 1869 for the joining the rails of Central Pacific and Union Pacific as the first Intercontinental Railway in the United States. The gold spike was replaced by a real iron spike, with the gold spike now on display in a museum.

When the Canadian Pacific had its ceremony in 1885, they used a real iron spike.

So what retailers are open on the York Street side? It's been a few weeks since I was over there.

I was surprised that Tim Horton's isn't moving over, based on a sign I saw when I was in the old Bay concourse last week.

The issue isn't having signage but how to make it stand out. Case in point, borrowing kotsy's photo above:

Look at that mess - you got backlit signage, signage in blue, in black, overhead, stand up, on pillars, same information provided in triplicate in text, period logos, logographic - is it any wonder that the one on the concourse closing (which of course has to be in mustard yellow to blend in with the pillars/general background) got lost? Seriously, did they ever look at the crap they've put up?

AoD

So all the Line 1 signs say "northbound to Finch", but there's no "northbound to Downsview"?

So what retailers are open on the York Street side? It's been a few weeks since I was over there.

I was surprised that Tim Horton's isn't moving over, based on a sign I saw when I was in the old Bay concourse last week.
I think they're waiting for either the lower retail level, or the reopening of the brand new Bay Concourse.

So all the Line 1 signs say "northbound to Finch", but there's no "northbound to Downsview"?

It's probably that sign on the left behind the GO wayfinding. And if it is, that is ridiculous.

Goddamit TTC. It's like their signage people don't understand the concept of "decision point". It's a pretty integral concept when designing wayfinding.

The issue isn't having signage but how to make it stand out. Case in point, borrowing kotsy's photo above:

Look at that mess - you got backlit signage, signage in blue, in black, overhead, stand up, on pillars, same information provided in triplicate in text, period logos, logographic - is it any wonder that the one on the concourse closing (which of course has to be in mustard yellow to blend in with the pillars/general background) got lost? Seriously, did they ever look at the crap they've put up?

AoD
You're right, that is officially atrocious. No wonder someone failed to notice the orange-ish sign on the yellowish pillar.

Maybe they just stopped caring as signage was added over the years. There was no effort to make things consistent and clear. Fewer signs are actually more informative.

Just a thought - but has GO had full control over signage in Bay Concourse while they were just a tenant? Now they own the place (and York) of course but historically they didn't.

It's probably that sign on the left behind the GO wayfinding. And if it is, that is ridiculous.

Goddamit TTC. It's like their signage people don't understand the concept of "decision point". It's a pretty integral concept when designing wayfinding.

Indeed - the important thing at the concourse is to direct people to Line 1, not telling someone whether it goes to Finch or Downsview, do it at the subway station proper FFS.

AoD

The infinite improbability drive has arrived!

It wasn't as bad as I feared probably because Monday mornings are almost 100% seasoned commuters, who already knew about the Bay closure. Unlike weekend commuters and stadium/Ex commuters (Blue Jays...) who are pressing the PANIC button. As a morning teamway commuter, I never noticed the Bay Closure. The next big test will be the evening commute.

I double checked at lunch - its confusing because Toronto PATH maps seem to indicate a path connection from Union to Royal York. I think this must not have been built. There is also a potential path connection from York concourse but it doesn't exist yet and may never.

For now, the doors from the moat into Bay concourse are actually still open - they will be closed and locked "sometime this month" according to the customer server person I talked to.

Over the past 4 months my commute has gone from into the bay concourse to track 6, to all the way through the VIA concourse to track 27 :(

I double checked at lunch - its confusing because Toronto PATH maps seem to indicate a path connection from Union to Royal York. I think this must not have been built. There is also a potential path connection from York concourse but it doesn't exist yet and may never.
This was one of the first PATH connections ever built in the 1920s. It has been closed for renovation for years though.

Back