Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

14-15 and 18-19 are baggage platforms, and not normally accessible to the public. There are no stairwells to them.
20 to 23 are closed due to construction at the platform level and the trainshed.
Will this stay the case in perpetuity? It seems there seems to be no baggage-dedicated platforms at many European train stations, for long intercity passenger trains busier than the VIA trains.

As the Union tracks/platforms gets more crowded over the coming couple decades (e.g. twice the people during peak), there might be increasing pressure on eventually activating these platforms during peak period. Especially if by then track utilization percentages is much higher with GO tracks than VIA tracks and some track-sharing is needed as a means of relief, if GO services increases much faster than VIA service increases.

14-15 and 18-19 are baggage platforms, and not normally accessible to the public. There are no stairwells to them.

20 to 23 are closed due to construction at the platform level and the trainshed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Platforms 22 and 23 don't exist, or maybe 20 and 21 don't exist, in either case 2 of those platforms don't exist. Which leads me to the question, what is with the platform numbering scheme at Union Station?

For those unfamiliar with Union Station, there are 14 tracks serving 23 platforms numbered in the 3-27 range. 9 tracks are served by platforms on each side (18 platforms total) and 5 tracks are served by a single platform (platforms #3, 4, 21, 24 and 27).

I think in the past I've read about there being platforms at each end of the station for mail purposes being numbered 1 and 2, but I can't find anything confirming that today. However, I can't put my finger on why there's a gap in the numbering of platforms on the south side.

On this note, did anyone attend the Hugo movie presentation on July 23 in Union Plaza?

I presume they used an outdoor projection setup on the existing stage there.
That's such a fun movie to play in such a setting, too bad I wasn't in that area.

How was the movie-watching experience at Union Plaza?

Sorry, I think the Clean Train Coalition sued the Department of Magical Transportation and the Wizengamot issued a stop order. Take the broom folks.

AoD

That's what they want Muggles to think so they will ignore it when it goes through. The only thing to figure out is where Priestley the train goes to and find it's end point. So far JK Rowling has been silent on where Canadian witches and Wizards attend school.

Platforms 22 and 23 don't exist, or maybe 20 and 21 don't exist, in either case 2 of those platforms don't exist. Which leads me to the question, what is with the platform numbering scheme at Union Station?

For those unfamiliar with Union Station, there are 14 tracks serving 23 platforms numbered in the 3-27 range. 9 tracks are served by platforms on each side (18 platforms total) and 5 tracks are served by a single platform (platforms #3, 4, 21, 24 and 27).

I think in the past I've read about there being platforms at each end of the station for mail purposes being numbered 1 and 2, but I can't find anything confirming that today. However, I can't put my finger on why there's a gap in the numbering of platforms on the south side.

You are correct - 22 and 23 don't exist. But 21 and 24 do, and they as well as the tracks that serve them, are closed and out of service.

As for the platform numbering scheme, it is very recent and only began October 4th, 2008. Before, each platform was identified by the track it served - and on tracks that had a platform on either side, an "A" or "B" depending on whether it was north or south of that track.

Why is there no platform 1 or 2 though? There has never been an official response, and none of my contacts at GO have ever been able to get an answer either. The most reasonable answer seems to be that Platform 1 is the westbound subway platform and Platform 2 the eastbound platform.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

You are correct - 22 and 23 don't exist. But 21 and 24 do, and they as well as the tracks that serve them, are closed and out of service.

As for the platform numbering scheme, it is very recent and only began October 4th, 2008. Before, each platform was identified by the track it served - and on tracks that had a platform on either side, an "A" or "B" depending on whether it was north or south of that track.

Why is there no platform 1 or 2 though? There has never been an official response, and none of my contacts at GO have ever been able to get an answer either. The most reasonable answer seems to be that Platform 1 is the westbound subway platform and Platform 2 the eastbound platform.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Platform 24 was open on the long weekend, has it closed since then?.

Platform 21 is closed but Platform 24 is open on the other side.

That said, the theoretical Platform 22-23 would need a 4th dimension (or the dimension that Hogwarts Express uses) to fit between the two railroad tracks. Perhaps Platform 22-23 is the secret location of Platform 9¾.

Last edited:
Platform 24 was open on the long weekend, has it closed since then?.

Maybe it's the other way around - maybe it opened for the long weekend, but was closed before it.

The changes are happening so frequently now that I'm finding that it's hard to keep track of them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Maybe it's the other way around - maybe it opened for the long weekend, but was closed before it.

The changes are happening so frequently now that I'm finding that it's hard to keep track of them.
I see piles of construction material on Platform 21 , whenever I stand on Platform 24. It's the only location (that I clearly remember, at least) in Union that has two tracks between platforms (21 and 24).

The Platform 24/25 and 26/27 -- "the boonie platforms" as I call them as they are the farthest away for most Union commuters -- looked fully constructed to me, but looks can be deceiving...

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

24 is absolutely fully open and has been for several months. It is regularly used for Lakeshore West train service (I think it's west). No major construction ongoing and I have not seen it closed in a long time.

On this note, did anyone attend the Hugo movie presentation on July 23 in Union Plaza?

The screen was set up near the sitting area at the food stalls and yes, it was a rare treat to see that movie in that place. It was a warm night, with not too many distractions considering the theatre consisted of a public street with two huge lit buildings on either side. I was unable to watch the whole show but hope to see it all the way through again, soon.

PS: Smallspy mentioned 18 as a baggage-only platform... yet I do see it regularly marked as a VIA departure gate.
Yes, these things do shift a lot, and man -- I keep finding myself using "Gate", "Platform" and "Track" interchangeably. Not quite the same...

FYI: permanent TTC signs are beginning to go up. Instead of the white acrylic, they're now double panes of glass. It looks better and they're not too bright but for the life of me, I can't imagine why they're using fluorescent tubes that they'll need to replace hundreds of times before they would have had to replace LEDs if they had used them instead. The lighting is uneven.

YnL00xm.png

It's not yet finished with presumably some sort of ornamentation yet to cover the top and sides. I'll reserve judgement for when it's completed but so far to my eyes, it'll be bland and forgettable, nothing worthy of the stature of Union Station. It's really sad that the the TTC couldn't find it in them to put in an extra effort to making an iconic sign for their signature station.

Back