Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I fully expect absolute glorious chaos on August 17th.

The problem is that signage is ineffective for crowds of this size. They absolutely need people right there, in the concourse, or on the street, physically directing the human traffic. Metrolinx and GO Transit in particular are very bad at this (just go to Exhibition after a TFC game). In many cities, this is a common way of dealing with huge crowds. Just head to London or UK network rail station during a large event (ie. Glastonbury, Wimbeldon, etc.)

Agreed - but it wouldn't hurt to have maps ready a month before the switchover - instead of a pretty useless map (see below) that basically just gotten contradicted by the Mlinx official.

alternate-routes-lg.png

How can you provide information pamphlets that is just so utterly wrong?

**Interestingly, Google Image search suggest they've modified the original:

images

AoD

Last edited:
That suggests that you will be able to walk past the Mcdonalds to the main doors in front of the Bay Concourse still, at least for a short while. They will eventually have to rebuild that part as well.

That suggests that you will be able to walk past the Mcdonalds to the main doors in front of the Bay Concourse still, at least for a short while. They will eventually have to rebuild that part as well.

Except the not so slight problem of the "map" also suggesting that the moat is a valid route. In that light, it's hard to take it in face value and kind of defeats the purpose of the map in the first place.

AoD

If they can walk past the McDonalds, great. But Metrolinx's responses haven't mentioned it, and their language isn't encouraging.

Allowing people to walk the moat is the most direct and sensical way people would go. It's another option. It provides more space. That's why I'm making a fuss about it. They should have had the foresight to have the centre moat unblocked before the bay concourse closure.

If anyone is confused about what we're talking about, here's a better map:

CLq3A07WIAAEbkH.jpg

Agreed - but it wouldn't hurt to have maps ready a month before the switchover - instead of a pretty useless map (see below) that basically just gotten contradicted by the Mlinx official.
Yeah, I don't mean to say that maps are a bad idea. I'm just saying that they are not enough.

The paper handout contains the detailed map we've seen before, of the sort posted throughout the station. Curiously, I can't see it online...

It clearly shows a corridor open in front of McDonalds to an exit onto the moat.

All the restaurants appear to be closed in this view. <There's a little man digging dirt right where the Mmmmuffins is....>

Have you guys seen this website? Someone posted it to Union's wiki article today.

http://www.torontounion.ca/

Nope, thanks for posting - what an odd logo. You'd think that an outline of the headhouse would have been a classier alternative instead of that digestive tract suggestive of a rough ride ahead.

And what's with this singular "Union" anyways? It got bad hipster marketing written all over it.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

You may have seen the hoarding or heard the jackhammers. Maybe you thought you’d never find your way through the maze of construction that has surrounded Union for the past few years.

But when the current revitalization is complete, Toronto will be home to one of the most impressive transportation hubs in the world, able to accommodate the needs of our growing region.

Union is here for you.

---

At Union everything is programming, from food to shopping and events. Union is committed to innovative initiatives, unexpected partnerships, and maintaining a constance dialogue with our city.

It's like that infamous UP video all over again. Who get to write this (insert four letter word)?

AoD

Last edited:
Compare and contrast how St. Lawrence Market handled theirs:

http://www.stlawrencemarket.com/

AoD

St Lawrence was voted the world's best food market, yet I don't see them loudly boasting about it on their website. But Metrolinx on the other hand thinks they have some serious world class thing going on with their "innovative" little diesel UP trains.

St Lawrence was voted the world's best food market, yet I don't see them loudly boasting about it on their website. But Metrolinx on the other hand thinks they have some serious world class thing going on with their "innovative" little diesel UP trains.

Actually they did have it on one of their home page slides:

upload_2015-8-7_11-26-7.png

But it wasn't like the hagiographic fluff on the new Union website. It was clear, tasteful and used to create impact. And tell me how something like this is supposed to be helpful (on the about page):

upload_2015-8-7_11-40-36.png

Like what the hell is that? You need to waste half a page to display a useless graphic that is supposed to mean what? U traps under the sink? Esoteric lab setup?

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-7_11-26-7.png
    upload_2015-8-7_11-26-7.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 778
  • upload_2015-8-7_11-40-36.png
    upload_2015-8-7_11-40-36.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 952
Last edited:
Like what the hell is that? You need to waste half a page to display a useless graphic that is supposed to mean what? U traps under the sink? Esoteric lab setup?

AoD

It actually confused me. I didn't realize you had to scroll down at first to see anything, I was clicking the U's like crazy, trying to make something happen.

Actually they did have it on one of their home page slides:

But it wasn't like the hagiographic fluff on the new Union website. It was clear, tasteful and used to create impact.

I actually didn't even notice that on the home page, which is exactly what I meant when I said they are not excessively loud and boastful about their success unlike Metrolinx. I respect that.

And tell me how something like this is supposed to be helpful (on the about page):

My take on it:

Screen shot 2015-08-07 at 2.10.02 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-08-07 at 2.10.02 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-08-07 at 2.10.02 PM.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 688

Back