Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Photographer Vik Pahwa got some beautiful shots of the not exactly beautiful GO Bay Concourse which highlight the design points of the 1978-built concourse. We have published a story on our front page to show them off, and help people remember what it all looked like before it goes forever.

Photographer Vik Pahwa got some beautiful shots of the not exactly beautiful GO Bay Concourse which highlight the design points of the 1978-built concourse. We have published a story on our front page to show them off, and help people remember what it all looked like before it goes forever.

It would be great to have side-by-side shots of the TTC Union subway station before & after as well.

On another note, the planters at the Front Street median is up - from Harold Madi's (City of Toronto Director of Urban Design):

Harold Madi ‏@haroldmadi 1m1 minute ago
Removable planters installed along Front St median. Thanks to City-BIA teamwork @ElyseParker1 @Evan_Weinberg #TOpoli

CMApimoUEAAhzAV.jpg

https://twitter.com/haroldmadi/status/630549647912792064

AoD

Here's how it looked yesterday:

DSC04974.jpg

Attachments

• DSC04974.jpg
    DSC04974.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 855
I visited the Bay concourse today to say goodbye--enjoyed some quality nostalgia--and took some photos of the shuttered stores:

IMG_0873 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0874 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0875 (Custom).JPG

The only things still open were Tim Hortons, Dairy Queen, the Sushi place, and the one convenience store just west of McDonalds. The rest is all closed--additionally, all of the CIBC and BMO ATMs were offline, and the TTC token vending machine was out of service. It appeared that every single GO Transit TVM had been disassembled and removed as well, as I did not see a single one in the concourse--there were a few new ones in the process of being installed in the Bay West Teamway, which is certainly a wise move. Customer service wickets were still open and had a massive lineup of people apparently unaware to this day that the York concourse exists, which speaks badly of the prospects of this closure going well the first few weeks--recently only a few wickets have been open at York, hopefully they will move these staff members there and open them all once Bay closes as I'm sure the lines will suddenly get much longer.

Interestingly, there were several strips of duct tape on the floor--it was evident that these mark the passageway that will remain open, per the post-closure station map, between the subway and the VIA arrivals area for people to get to York. The area is a bit larger than I'd anticipated, includes both large sets of doors to the moat, not just the west one, and includes both of the exits towards VIA, both where McDonalds and Cinnabon used to be, not just the McDonalds one as expected:

IMG_0876 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0877 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0878 (Custom).JPG

Quite clearly a template for where to put construction hoarding up. Any bets on how long this passage stays open? I'd say at least 1 month but no more than 3. Obviously they have to close it eventually, and my bet is on sooner than later, with it just being there for the first little bit to ease the blow.

Attachments

• IMG_0873 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0873 (Custom).JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 889
  • IMG_0874 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0874 (Custom).JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 865
  • IMG_0875 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0875 (Custom).JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_0876 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0876 (Custom).JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 820
  • IMG_0877 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0877 (Custom).JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_0878 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0878 (Custom).JPG
    320.4 KB · Views: 819
I passed through there around noon--transferring from Lakeshore East to Barrie line (yay for weekend Barrie-line trains!)--and was dismayed to find no stores open in the York concourse. I thought they were going to transfer the stores over, or at least install equivalents, and there was nothing in the new concourse! I had to search around outside to find food...

Are those stores reopening in the York concourse? I can't imagine that they're going to stay closed for 2+ years while the Bay Concourse is being built.

I walked through both the old and new and the York concourse feels like it has yet to come to life because none of the stores are open and most people are still using Bay.

I visited the Bay concourse today to say goodbye ...
snip
The area is a bit larger than I'd anticipated, includes both large sets of doors to the moat, not just the west one, and includes both of the exits towards VIA, both where McDonalds and Cinnabon used to be, not just the McDonalds one as expected:

snip
Any bets on how long this passage stays open? I'd say at least 1 month but no more than 3. Obviously they have to close it eventually, and my bet is on sooner than later, with it just being there for the first little bit to ease the blow.

Thanks for the pics and update, as I can't get down there for a bit.

If the corridor past the Cinnabon (expect extreme sensory disorientation without the smell) is to be kept open, that portends an imminent plan to reopen the space south of that stairwell up to the Great Hall.

Protecting these/this access route through Bay is vital until the area just west of here is considerably opened up to the moat and subway station. The new route must have a large ramp and enough space to handle traffic from the VIA and York Concourses.

Even when/if the most opens, it will be partly unprotected, so demand for a clear, wide, covered, accessible route to the TTC and NE PATH will continue.

PS ... So where's the nearest BMO ATM to Union?

Here is what I know.

Where the wooden ramp is, everything south of it will be rope off Sunday as phase 1 until the hording goes up. All the doors to/from TTC will be open only into Union Station. Bay Entrance is close 100%.

Where the sloping floor is north of AC and hallway will be close off and you must use that new wide hallway to get to Bay St.

Phase 2 will see a new entrance where McD was and the fruit store is at this time. Once this happens, the current Union Station doors will be close and hording off.

What I am not sure where the new floor stops north of ACC as riders will be able to use the elevators and stairs in this area as well the new hallway. I should know since I saw the underside of it as it was being built a few years ago. I know for sure the new floor is under that slopping floor.

I haven't looked in to it at this time, what happen to the current TTC stairs, more like how they plan on removing then to built the flush floor to the new entrance. I expect some closure will happen on the west side first and then the east side. Once the stairs are remove, a new floor will be built over TTC entrance to match the moat floor. You will never need to worry about the weather anymore going from TTC to GO/VIA/UPX.

Last edited:
Nope, Baguette definitely isn't, and I don't think Second Cup is going to either. Not sure about the rest.

AoD
I'm pretty darn certain many are going to wait until the new Bay-side mall level opens -- they just haven't decided to rent yet. Retail space is going to be temporarily scarce without a retail level...then boom

Filmed a walkthrough of the Bay Concourse before it was gone for good:

The area was looking pretty derelict by the afternoon. Metrolinx contractors were busy ripping out and relocating the ticketing machines. Tenants were cleaning out and gutting their suites. Still, quite a flood of people passing through for the Jays game.

All I can say is that I'll kinda sorta miss it, as aggressively ugly and poorly maintained as it was.

As expected, people are totally losing their minds over the closure. I went an hour ago and just stood in the area in front of the doors from the TTC, watching people coming in, and it was madness. I would estimate somewhere between 0.5% to 1% of people--there were a lot of visitors on this sunny, though hot, Sunday afternoon, probably a Jays game--knew where they were going.

And, to be clear, when you come in from the doors from the TTC moat, there are two possible places to go: 1) turn around and go back where you came from, 2) continue forwards in the one, single possible direction in which it is possible to proceed. There are no turns or choices to be made until after you exit the Bay concourse, but nonetheless, people would stand around scratching their heads being confused.

The GO customer service person and the two security guards standing around were pointing in the one possible direction to go and repeating "go to the end of this hall and make a left" every 3 seconds or so, for every single person asking where the GO area is. Kudos to them as I would have lost my mind by the thousandth time, yet alone the ten thousandth time I had to repeat that. And again, there is only one way to go and there are large, well-marked signs directing people to the platforms.

Additionally, for all the lost people coming in from the TTC doors about 10% as many people were coming in from the direction of Via/York, looked confused, and asked where to buy tickets/board trains/use the washroom/etc only to be pointed back in the direction they'd come from.

And you know what the cherry on top of the cake is, here? All of the people asking for directions looked totally confused, i.e. they had absolutely no idea that this was going to happen. I overheard at least a quarter or so of the people asking for directions saying they were here just last week and "why didn't they inform people beforehand?" "why was nobody warned?" "is this just for today, or a few hours?" etc. Having walked around the Bay concourse recently, for several weeks there have been massive, clear posters informing people about the closure's date (and long-term nature) posted everywhere--all over the concourse and various stairways and doors to and from the platforms. Overall I would guess between 200-300 posters. So hearing "I was here just last week and there was absolutely no warning about this!" shouted angrily at customer service agents and security guards was infuriating.

Again, just to emphasize this, I saw hundreds of people enter, probably about a thousand total, and with only one direction to possibly go in (without turning around and going straight back out) over 99% of them were completely and utterly lost and had to ask for directions.

Can't wait to see rush hour tomorrow evening--one would assume the percentage of lost people will be lower with the hopefully more competent everyday commuter crowd, but the sheer number of passengers might make up for that. Should be fun. I'll bring popcorn.

There are people on the newspaper comments sections flipping out about this. Normally I would suggest ignoring such comment sections, but it's actually kinda funny.

People condemning GO for doing this. People stating that they're not going to use GO anymore because of this.

It's pretty hilarious. It also confirms my suspicion that there's a large proportion of the population who don't care about things getting better or worse, they just don't want to have to ever deal with even the mildest of inconveniences.

People condemning GO for doing this. People stating that they're not going to use GO anymore because of this.

It's pretty hilarious. It also confirms my suspicion that there's a large proportion of the population who don't care about things getting better or worse, they just don't want to have to ever deal with even the mildest of inconveniences.

Excellent - I look forward to sharing my commute with fewer fools.

AoD

Back