Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

The TTC monolith signs on Front st are being re-worked, to what looks like a permanent solution. If you didn't like the white cheap plexiglass, you will be comforted with a light blue glass version. The monolith structures remained unchanged, including the florescent lighting. sorry no pics.

Thanks for the report in any case - I wonder what the rationale for using fluorescent lighting instead of long-lasting LED.

AoD

For installations that are easily accessible, I would say that fluorescents are probably still more cost-effective than LEDs. In situations where the access costs (ie. scaffolding, swingstages, etc.) to do the replacements are high, it makes perfect sense to go with LEDs, to prevent high recurring mobilization/demobilization costs over time.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/gm/bgrd/backgroundfile-81488.pdf
Lots of juicy information regarding the Union Station Revitalization Project, in particular where it stands, the change of construction delivery method and a supposed laundry list of legal claims from Carillion and their sub contractors.

Unsurprisingly, the city decided to public tender the remaining works due to unsatisfactory performance on Carillion's part. The way this project was originally set up, the city could have given the whole project to Carillion, awarding future parts of the contract as it progressed and as design was completed.

No prequalification was performed for phase 2/3 works and the tender went out to call on March 13th, closed on May 26th and was awarded on June 12th, lightening fast for a project of this scope and size. Bondfield Construction Company came out as the low bidder at 178.5 million dollars and was awarded the job for stage 2/3. The second lowest bidder was Ellis-Don at 181.7 million.

Bondfield's bid was 31 million higher than staff estimates.

Well will the moat be opened up by then?
It will have to be, at least a bit, no?

Unless the route directly in front of McDonald's/Purdy's will somehow be kept open, the only below-grade PATH/subway access from the VIA and York Concourses will be through three doors in a temporary-looking corridor. That bottle has a helluva skinny neck.

And let's hope the accessible route makes sense too. If the Bay Concourse were to shut entirely today, then you'd have to get into the subway from street level via the Royal Bank building or down Bay and double back, all with your luggage/baby carriage/mobility device...

It will have to be, at least a bit, no?

Unless the route directly in front of McDonald's/Purdy's will somehow be kept open, the only below-grade PATH/subway access from the VIA and York Concourses will be through three doors in a temporary-looking corridor. That bottle has a helluva skinny neck.

And let's hope the accessible route makes sense too. If the Bay Concourse were to shut entirely today, then you'd have to get into the subway from street level via the Royal Bank building or down Bay and double back, all with your luggage/baby carriage/mobility device...

Brad Ross from the TTC just said it's his understanding it will be open.

Thanks for the report in any case - I wonder what the rationale for using fluorescent lighting instead of long-lasting LED.

AoD

They have a large inventory of fluorescent tubes that they have to use up first.

BTW. I have replaced some fluorescent tubes with LED tubes. I just cut out and removed the ballasts, which the LED tubes don't need, and spliced the wire extensions together. So likely they just use LED tubes after the fluorescent tubes need replacing, if not done already.

LED-Tube-Lights02.jpg

And the LED's take vibrations better. And the LED's turn on instantly.

alos white LEDs tend to make the lighting look blue if too many are used just look at St. Andrew station for an example of thath

There are warm white LEDs available - and besides if they are going to the LED route they might as well use RGB LEDs for flexibility. Now would I trust the TTC to get all that right? Not necessarily.

AoD

Metrolinx used sophisticated pedestrian modelling to help plan for this closure.

Although I'm sure it will be very busy, I don't expect there to be any complete chaos or dangerous situations.

alos white LEDs tend to make the lighting look blue if too many are used just look at St. Andrew station for an example of thath

Likely, they wanted the light to appear like daylight. Look at the colour temperature on the LED package to make sure of the colour you want.

led-color-temperature.jpg

Try to compare black and navy blue socks under incandescent (2,800°K) and in daylight (5,000°K).

Metrolinx confirmed it - the moats will be open.

AoD
Metrolinx has now said the moats will NOT be connected. So while they will be open, you can't walk from the TTC station to the West Moat and the York Concourse and York East Teamway; its still blocked off. I guess people will have to go up to Front Street and across?

I've asked to speak to a project manager to get more info.

Metrolinx has now said the moats will NOT be connected. So while they will be open, you can't walk from the TTC station to the West Moat and the York Concourse and York East Teamway; its still blocked off. I guess people will have to go up to Front Street and across?

That is truly insane. Honestly, how difficult is it to get a straight answer and have a clear map indicating the new route from the subway station to the York Concourse?

AoD

I fully expect absolute glorious chaos on August 17th.

The problem is that signage is ineffective for crowds of this size. They absolutely need people right there, in the concourse, or on the street, physically directing the human traffic. Metrolinx and GO Transit in particular are very bad at this (just go to Exhibition after a TFC game). In many cities, this is a common way of dealing with huge crowds. Just head to London or UK network rail station during a large event (ie. Glastonbury, Wimbeldon, etc.)

Back