Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I dont
So you think we should spend millions on making King/Liberty work with the UPX with high platforms, UPX branding, access, etc and then demolish it all after GO-RER comes around?

You must work for the government

I don't. Could the platforms be made to work with both?

We don't know, because the equipment for the electrification of the GO network hasn't been decided upon yet.

Dan

That, and the province/MX are also considering using alternative technologies (rolling stock) for the UPX in the future, as well. Some have interpreted this to mean that the UPX would use GO trains, which would kinda suck.

So, we could have high floor service?

Sure, but UPX is more than high floor, The platform lengths are 3 cars long, and there is a branding and standard for the service level that must be adhered to. Have you been to the UPX at Weston or Bloor? They have their own buildings, entrances, kiosks, fare machines, etc etc etc.

You can well say "well dont do that then" but thats not a decision for you to make, as well as the fact of the unknown of the electric GO trains.

I will say this, if the electric GO trains are high platform, it will be a complete mess trying to make Union and every GO station they stop at both high and low platform. I really hope they are not, or at least Dual platform like CalTrain. But they really should be low platform, thats the best option.

But considering Metrolinx has done some wonderful work like making the Union station ceiling for the renovations too low to accommodate overhead wiring for electrification, I would not give out high hopes of them transitioning from a UPX station to a GO-RER one in an efficient or forward thinking manner.

Could they just rebrand the UPX as another GO train line? Coudl the current cars be made to be better for serving the airport?

Also worth noting from the Woodbine EPR that it looks like the southern island at Woodbine will have a UPX platform. https://woodbine.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/wetransfer/Appendix AREDUCED.pdf

With this along with Mt. Dennis you're really looking at "UP Local".
Even if ride times extend to max 30 mins (seems reasonable to add 5 mins for 2 stops), it is still an attractive airport service. many cities around the world have services that are up to 30 mins. A main issue for boarding times right are the crush passenger loads at rushour which delay the train. that said, it always arrives at Union and loads with extra time to clear the queues so diverting some queues with RER could mitigate this. That said this is all so early so who the hell knows what will happen in 5 years once the station is built :)

Transit operators in other cities may have some quaint notion about the meaning of "express" but in Toronto we rightly use the term for a transit line that will stop at every local station on the way to its destination. EXPRESS!

All of this hoopla over adding more stations has me thinking. Are there other cities that have dedicated transit lines for their airport from downtown that do not have any intermediate stops?

All of this hoopla over adding more stations has me thinking. Are there other cities that have dedicated transit lines for their airport from downtown that do not have any intermediate stops?

Yes, thats how most airport rail services work in Europe.

I can think of Tokyo (*2), Osaka, Sapporo, London, Vienna, and Frankfurt.
Listing Frankfurt is misleading. There is no dedicated non-stop translit line from downtown to the airport. It is just that both the central train station and the airport long-distance train station are stops on German Rail's high speed network.
If Via stopped at Pearson on its way to London or Kitchener, you wouldn't call this a dedicated airport train.
Moreover, Frankfurt airport has TWO train stations, and the regional station has frequent S-Bahn connections to downtown, with a few stops in between.

Back