Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

mdrejhon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Having recently done a jurisdictional scan on fare evasion rates, 2% is roughly the common target for metro-mode transit, and that's usually at properties that have station gates. 2% for a non-gate rail agency is pretty good.
Is this fare evasion only, or all situations of fare non payments / missed payments / failed payments (machines) / etc?

(The distinction is important to me)

jcam

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is this fare evasion only, or all situations of fare non payments / missed payments / failed payments (machines) / etc?

(The distinction is important to me)
Would include non-payments, missed payments, failed payments...based on having a passenger that can't show they've paid. Just to be clear, 2% is the common target, not what people are actually achieving.

Admiral Beez

Member Bio
Reaction score
Fair enough. And I want that public service to be sufficiently expensive to keep you off it, unless you’re going to/from the airport, as it was intended.
Looks like a higher rate to keep the commuters off was considered.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Once RER starts running to Bramalea on 15 minute intervals, there is no need to have local customers on UP. At that point a more focussed airport service with commensurate fare increase might make sense. Move the Weston stop to MT Dennis to connect with the Crosstown. Retain a separate brand, but without all the foolish grandiose frills that the service started with.

Personally I don’t favour 100% cost recovery, but the subsidy should be in line with GO.

- Paul

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
Once RER starts running to Bramalea on 15 minute intervals, there is no need to have local customers on UP. At that point a more focussed airport service with commensurate fare increase might make sense. Move the Weston stop to MT Dennis to connect with the Crosstown. Retain a separate brand, but without all the foolish grandiose frills that the service started with.

Personally I don’t favour 100% cost recovery, but the subsidy should be in line with GO.

- Paul
I would oppose a substantial hike; the airport/GTAA is a huge employer, both directly and through the airlines/vendors.

I personally know 2 people who work at the airport, and one who had the most forsaken comment ever is now able to use UPExpress to have a significantly better/reduced commute time.

His pay is not commensurate with a premium-fare service.

The other person I know (working at the airport) comes from the north-central part of York Region so this doesn't apply to her, but she certainly wishes it did.

Which does make me wonder, in theory, about running a service across the York Sub and down to the airport........one day.

Last edited:

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like a higher rate to keep the commuters off was considered.

That is because if they charged the rate GO users would pay on a GO train for that length, they would be inundated with ridership that it could not handle.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Which does make me wonder, in theory, about running a service across the York Sub and down to the airport........one day.
GO already runs a bus 24 hours each day that parallels much of the York Sub - the route 40.

And considering that service is only half-hourly during the middle of the day, I suspect that it will be quite a long time before we see a need to convert that service to rail-based.

Dan

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
I would oppose a substantial hike; the airport/GTAA is a huge employer, both directly and through the airlines/vendors.
The restricted monthly pass is relatively affordable ($140/month unlimited travel), and probably would not change with the general single trip price.

Last edited: