Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Considering they carry diesel electric generators on virtually every locomotive in North America they must be getting pretty efficient at it. Ideally you would want to go to lighter full electrics but considering the North American operating environment it seems smart to get dual mode locomotives. I can't see lightly used lines, such as Bolton, Peterborough, and Orangeville, getting electrified for a long time. It seems there would be benefits to having dual mode locomotives around so regardless of where in the network the train comes from it could switch to electric when it arrives at the core network.
Did you read my full post? I acknowledged the value in dual mode for the fringes of the network. The objection to dual-mode was not mine. Still, the idea of running the core network on dual-mode locos seems wasteful given the alternative. If 90% (to grab a number out of the air) of trains will stay on the electrified network, then it seems reasonable that a large portion of motive power should be purely electric. Both have a role to play.

Electric Youth Rally

Tomorrow, Friday, Dec 04 there will be the Electric Youth Rally at Dundas Square from 10 am - 2 pm

I'm glad they are looking to clean "train students". Sitting next to dirty train students can really be unpleasant.

How about the "Student Coalition for Clean Trains" or "Student's Clean Train Coalition"?

Considering they carry diesel electric generators on virtually every locomotive in North America they must be getting pretty efficient at it. Ideally you would want to go to lighter full electrics but considering the North American operating environment it seems smart to get dual mode locomotives. I can't see lightly used lines, such as Bolton, Peterborough, and Orangeville, getting electrified for a long time. It seems there would be benefits to having dual mode locomotives around so regardless of where in the network the train comes from it could switch to electric when it arrives at the core network.

Because dual mode locomotives aren't worth the cost. If you're sending 3 trains a day to Bolton, make them diesels. If you're running 40 services to Brampton, use EMUs. The real benefit of electrification is that you won't use locomotives for most of your trains anymore.

Because dual mode locomotives aren't worth the cost. If you're sending 3 trains a day to Bolton, make them diesels. If you're running 40 services to Brampton, use EMUs. The real benefit of electrification is that you won't use locomotives for most of your trains anymore.

I fully agree with you, but the opponents of the project have demanded all trains in the corridor be electric. Dual-mode is the only way of meeting their demands. :rolleyes:

GO Train must go electric, coalition says
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/local/article/227815--go-train-must-go-electric-coalition-says

Members of the Clean Train Student Coalition, and the Clean Train Coalition itself, delivered a petition boasting 20,000 signatures to the Ontario government calling on the immediate electrification of the GO train line Friday Dec. 4.

The student-run initiative advocates against Metrolinx's proposal to use Tier 4 diesel in the GO train line expansion, which will result in an increase from 50 diesel trains per day to about 450 diesel trains daily.

The student wing of the Clean Train Coalition is adding its voice to the growing movement for the electrification of the rail line, known as the Georgetown Corridor, which cuts through west Toronto. The plan, the coalition said, is ill-conceived and needs to be revisited. Transit is important, but good transit is crucial. Diesel is the most polluting transportation fuel available and the plan risks harming the health of more than 300,000 resident as well as contributing to climate change and smog while threatening the vitality of 12 vibrant west-end neighbourhoods, according to the coalition.

The Clean Train Student Coalition alongside Clean Train Coalition members and local politicians, including Parkdale-High Park Councillor Gord Perks and MPP Cheri DiNovo, joined forces Dec. 4 at Yonge-Dundas Square for the 'Electric Youth' demonstration and march to advocate for the immediate electrification of Metrolinx and GO Transit's plans for the Gerogetown corridor and Union-Pearson rail service.

They have my full support, I hate dirty trains :)
s_subpizza1.jpg

Last edited:
Toronto Star: Province vows airport rail link by 2015

Ontario Transportation Minister Kathleen Wynne is vowing to have the much-delayed train link between Pearson International Airport and downtown Toronto running in time for the 2015 Pan Am Games.

Wynne made the pledge after Toronto Mayor David Miller told a Pan Am panel Friday he had no faith the province and Ottawa would manage to build “a tiny 1.3-kilometre spur” track connecting the Georgetown GO line and Pearson in time for the event.

Wynne later told the Star the line as it exists wouldn’t be able to handle airport-downtown traffic, but a major upgrade, cost-shared by the province and Ottawa, will see trains rolling by July 2015.

“We’re working very hard and we’re committed to delivering this for the 2015 Pan Am Games,” Wynne said.

Anyone else see the irony that the most spread out games ever (I think I read that somewhere once) will be the catalyst to finally bring about a rail link that works on the assumption that everyone leaving Pearson is headed for a night at the Royal York? I am glad it is happening but I find this kinda funny/strange!

They could at least make it a GO Train line and charge like $10 or so for that ride, with the stops on the Georgetown Line in between of course.

The long term plan is to have GO Transit stop at woodbine, where the Finch West LRT will take people to the terminal. But, we need to build the infrastructure first.

Anyone else see the irony that the most spread out games ever (I think I read that somewhere once) will be the catalyst to finally bring about a rail link that works on the assumption that everyone leaving Pearson is headed for a night at the Royal York? I am glad it is happening but I find this kinda funny/strange!

I think more of a reason would be that the airport link would connect to Union which will connect all the areas of the game through GO transit.

I think more of a reason would be that the airport link would connect to Union which will connect all the areas of the game through GO transit.

Sure but do they really think that someone landing in Toronto who is, say, a wrestling fan is gonna take a train from the airport to Union just to wait for a train to take them to Brampton? Or are they gonna say, mmmmm that looks like Brampton over there? Similar for the track and field fans who are headed for Hamilton.

Don't get me wrong, I like the direct rail link and am glad that something is lighting a fire under it....I just find it funny/ironic that it is these de-centralized "golden horseshoe" games that is doing it!

Sure but do they really think that someone landing in Toronto who is, say, a wrestling fan is gonna take a train from the airport to Union just to wait for a train to take them to Brampton? Or are they gonna say, mmmmm that looks like Brampton over there? Similar for the track and field fans who are headed for Hamilton.

Don't get me wrong, I like the direct rail link and am glad that something is lighting a fire under it....I just find it funny/ironic that it is these de-centralized "golden horseshoe" games that is doing it!

Toronto is still the "home base" and most of the tourists will be flying in and out of Pearson, one would anticipate, and therefore spend the majority of their time downown TO and then make the day trips out to the events via GO or car... More than a few, will probably choose to stay in Hamilton for the duration as well... those people could potentially fly into Hamilton Airport.

Either way, this link is long over due, and thankful its coming, even if its the Pan Am games spurring it on.

you are 100% correct, but keep in mind these are the Pan-Am games, I'd imagine people coming to watch these games are more using the occasion as an excuse to visit Toronto since the games will be going on. Unlike the Olympics where it is more for the novelty of being at the Olympics. And thus most people will opt to go to a hotel located within the downtown core. This would give relatively easy access to GO's service that goes to most places where the games are being held, as well as access to local events via TTC subway/rt.

I'm sure pamphplets and info guides will be readily available at the airport to facilitate finding the appropriate transit route for Pan-Am spectators' respective events.

Yeah well, this entire Miller asking for the link to be done - hasn't the city basically been pissy about this project from day 1? I mean, they worked to undermine the initial project, to block the George Town line grade separation, to force electrification on the route, etc, etc.

Now the Mayor complains about delays, calls on the province to get moving? Give me a break...

Back