Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I never said Georgetown's upgrades should be delayed and wait for Milton. I just think Milton's service improvements need to be made a higher priority and pursued more aggressively. I recall that we'll be getting a 7th train in June or so. That will be the first new train since before I started taking GO to school (in 2002 or so). They need to add a lot more trains to the Milton line. There should be trains during the day. Why does Georgetown have trains (albeit not many) outside rush hour and Milton doesn't?

I understand that CP are in the way. But that doesn't make me any happier.

GO has construction updates on the GO TRIP website for the West Diamond Grade Separation Project. It shows where the completed piles are and which ones remain. It look like at the end of March they were complete all of the south-east wall and most of the south-west wall. They had only started the north-east wall and the north walls are about twice the length of the south walls. None of the south-centre, north-centre, and north-west wall pilings had started.

It'd be interesting enforcing that....

But that could lead to some novel concepts....a standing only car for example!

It would not be hard to enforce it since GO is already POP - so you just get the $100+ fine for violation of your ticket or lack there-of. The first time I ran into that in some sort was the "subway" (forget name) in Paris where the inside seats were special in some way (ticket agent said my ticket did not cover that). Also all trains that I have been on in Japan have reserved and unreserved seating cars, unreserved - first come first serve seating and then the rest stand. I actually had to stand 5 hours on a bullet train the first time to get down to the south end of Japan - since I did not have a ticket and everyone was travelling at that time - so it was the only way to get down to visit someone.

So if seats if seating is a premium - just use market forces (with some exceptions for those that cannot stand for medical reasons) in the distribution of those seats.

Once service improvements are in place with better frequencies on each line and the airport service stopping at Bloor GO, would it not make sense for Milton trains to start stopping there too? I understand that currently this does not happen due to capacity concerns, but surely with more frequent service these concerns will be diminished.

I too wondered why Milton trains don't stop at Bloor. Likely because they stop at Kipling, and it makes sense to switch from costlier GO to TTC sooner rather than later.

They need to add a lot more trains to the Milton line. There should be trains during the day. Why does Georgetown have trains (albeit not many) outside rush hour and Milton doesn't?

I understand that CP are in the way. But that doesn't make me any happier.

I read a quote from a GO Transit official (sorry, can't find the source now) to the effect that all-day Milton train service is a high-priority goal, but because GO leases the tracks from CP and CP prioritizes its own freight service, they can't find the window in which to run GO trains.

GO Transit is currently negotiating to buy the CP tracks and lease them back to CP, which means they can prioritize passenger service until a third track can be laid.

I too wondered why Milton trains don't stop at Bloor. Likely because they stop at Kipling, and it makes sense to switch from costlier GO to TTC sooner rather than later.

There are no platforms on the Milton line tracks as they pass Bloor Station. New platforms would have to be built or a connection track between the two corridors would have to be installed.

Okay, while poking around in GO Transit's underwear drawer, I found this PDF of future ("2020") expansion plans:

http://www.gotransit.com/PUBLIC/en/publications/GOTransitStrategicPlanGO2020_lowres.pdf

To summarize from the map on page 20:

On the Georgetown Line:
- all-day 2-way service to Mount Pleasant
- peak-period 1-way commuter service to Georgetown
- commuter service extended to a new Guelph station
- possibility of further extension to Kitchener and then to Waterloo

On the Milton line:
- all-day 2-way service to Meadowvale
- peak-period 1-way commuter service to Lisgar and Milton
- possibility of extension to Cambridge

Blue 22 doesn't seem to appear on this page 20 map, and it looks like the Georgetown line forks at Weston, with a commuter line running to Bolton. (?)

GO Transit identifies as "Urban Growth Centres" Brampton, Guelph, K-W, Milton and Cambridge.

(Other lines are addressed too.)

You have to look at GO 2020 in the context of the RTP - as a strategic vision on how they will meet the RTP. Any differences you find are probably because both documents were being written at the same time.

On the Georgetown Line:
- all-day 2-way service to Mount Pleasant
- peak-period 1-way commuter service to Georgetown
- commuter service extended to a new Guelph station
- possibility of further extension to Kitchener and then to Waterloo

The Elmira Spur (rail line between Waterloo and Kitchener) is planned to be converted into a rail trail as part of Waterloo Region's Cycling Master Plan. It would be impossible to run commuter trains up this corridor. Even if the rail line were kept intact, there would be no place to use as a staging facility as the rapid transit line is planned to use the Elmira spur corridor west of Uptown. Any direct rail connection would be incredibly impractical.

Uptown Waterloo will be 2 stops away on the rapid transit line from the new train station at King and Victoria, the University of Waterloo, 3 stops. The final route should be up in a few weeks.

I understand the need to show Waterloo on a map, but a direct rail link to Waterloo from the north mainline is never going to happen.

There are no platforms on the Milton line tracks as they pass Bloor Station. New platforms would have to be built or a connection track between the two corridors would have to be installed.

According to Metrolinx as of Wed night, ""NO"" platforms are plan for Milton Line at Bloor.

This is a great mistake as it would allow riders to transfer from one line to another without going to Union to do it.

The best location for a station would had been at the diamond, but GO blew that by not allowing for a station there when they started the grade separation.

Not hard to put in a platform there and have the photo's that show this.

You have to look at GO 2020 in the context of the RTP - as a strategic vision on how they will meet the RTP. Any differences you find are probably because both documents were being written at the same time.

With GO marching to their own drum with a thumb to their nose like TTC.

One reason for the quick merger.

Milton stops at Kipling and GO thinks that good enough.

GO like station that are 5 minutes or more apart.

The Milton milk run would use Bloor and Jane St as stops as well Cloverdale.

Back